Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hidr

Guppy Breeder

Since I only have the one goldfish do you think it would be alright to put him in my fry holder to finish raising him? It hangs on the outside of the tank. Uses a small bubble maker to keep the water changed from the main tank. I have had guppies breed in it and raised a few in it too.

Hi Hidr, short answer is : yes.

I have raised fry in as little as 0.5 liter but it requires close attention to water quality. feed live food if possible . they can grow very fast too in such small quarters sometimes.

It would have a 75 gallon tank attached to it. Uploading a movie now.

The reason I ask is I don't want this little guy to get use to eating plants. He is starting to eat the foods I am offering but I see him nibbling on the plants.

However if this is a bad idea I can live with a tank that has no plants in it. lol

Dang it the movie well be another 15 minutes of the fry holder.

It does not float in the tank. It hangs on the side. It uses a air pump to filter water in and then it flows out slowly back into the 75 gallon on the other side.

Edited by Hidr

Here it is. You can see if on the right for the first five seconds on this film.

Ok so you want to keep the one fry inside one of these fry baskets inside the established 75g until he is bigger, correct?

Sounds like a great idea, as long as the poop etc is removed from the bottom of the container and he really has enough room to move around enough and get his exercise !

I think he has lots of room for now. By the time he needs moved out he should be to big for them to eat. And best of all he well learn to eat fish food and hopefully leave the plants alone.

He is so much easier to see so I can keep a closer eye on him.

He does not have any button eyes like his daddy.

Edited by Hidr

Angie, I think Tammy kept her fry goldfish in a breeder net atop her main tank until they grew large enough to hang with the big goldies. It worked for her :thumb: but they still eat her plants :rofl nom, nom, nom!

:teehee

Yes I would think it should be fine. Ive thought of useing one for shrimp before.

Sorry the link froze on my phone. (But its probably just my phone lol)

Like this right?

baratygy.jpg8a9yjaty.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel E.

Yes that is it.

My only concern would be to make sure the outflow has a small sponge or something like that over it at first.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Oh, sorry for my confusion *headslap*

That's ok. I was having a hard time describing the item.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

it should work fine for a bit, my fry nibbled on the algae on my live plants not really eating the plant itself, just a thought ;)

I would also be worried about the overflow and the fry getting swept into the big tank so if you can be sure that wont happen then go for it :)

Nope he is not going over the overflow yet. I may have too cause now I am going to worry about it going over. lol And going to be at Dads all day. So maybe I should move it before I leave.

I really like this idea of using one of these for goldfish fry. It certainly would be an easier way to make fry more viable for people who are more green to breeding, like I am.