Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stech

Filtration for 50 Gallon Tank

Planning 50 Gallon tank (36x15x20) setup for two to three Ranchus ( probably 2.5 to 3.5 in size). I am thinking of going either Aquaclear 70 or 110 (too strong ), Hydro Sponge IV with air pump or Rena XP Medium.

I like HOB aquaclear lots of gph and provides alot of surface aeration, but motor noise and splashing sound when water gets level certain level. Think 110 water flow may bit strong on 50 gallon or I just tune it all way down?

I like the Hydro Sponge great biology filtration but not much mechanical, eye sore in the tank ,doesn't provide much aeration and you have to manually squeeze sponge during cleaning.

I like the Rena XP its quiet and water spray on outlet provides alot of aeration.

Which one would you recommend?

How about 2 AC 70s (one on each end)? That would be 600 GPH which would be great for a 50.

These are a little noisy at first, but they quiet down once the impeller breaks in. If you keep the water level very high, there is no splashing noise. You do not need a splash for aeration. You just need to keep the water surface moving. 2 filters keeps more of the surface moving and if one dies, the other will hold the cycle. And you can adjust the flow if there is too much current for your Ranchus :D

I have 3 AC 50s on my 55. I am thinking about upgrading to 2 AC 70s myself.

Edited by jmetzger72

You'll want the following minimum GPHs based on the tank size:

• HOB filtration: 10x filtration: 500gph
  • Canister filtration: 7x filtration for a fully stocked tank: 350gph

I really am not a big fan of sponges because goldfish are very messy. You want all that stuff to come out of the tank, not sit there rotting in it and being an eyesore, like you mentioned.

J made a great suggestion to do 2 AC70s. It's great to do two filters so that you have a backup in case something happens, and so that you have even distribution of filter power.

Edited by ChelseaM

Thanks two AC70s sounds like a good Idea I just have to check the slots size as this will be on a Seaclear 50 Gallon acrylic tank and the top has pre-cut slots.

Let me know if you need me to measure my ACs!

How about 2 AC 70s (one on each end)? That would be 600 GPH which would be great for a 50.

These are a little noisy at first, but they quiet down once the impeller breaks in. If you keep the water level very high, there is no splashing noise. You do not need a splash for aeration. You just need to keep the water surface moving. 2 filters keeps more of the surface moving and if one dies, the other will hold the cycle. And you can adjust the flow if there is too much current for your Ranchus :D

I have 3 AC 50s on my 55. I am thinking about upgrading to 2 AC 70s myself.

^^This. I love my ACs. And, as Jared promised me :rofl , they did get quieter after a couple weeks or so. :D

Let me know if you need me to measure my ACs!

If its not problem Petsolution listed it as 8 1/2". I am trying to also confirm the slot size on my 50 Gallon Seaclear listed as 3x12.

You'll like the ac's. They are really nice.

ok my 50 gallon tank has a slot for HOB its 15 x 2 1/2 so it looks like I can't do two AC 70. Guess I will have to to with AC 110 and use the lowest flow setting hope current isn't too strong for Ranchu.

I really am not a big fan of sponges because goldfish are very messy. You want all that stuff to come out of the tank, not sit there rotting in it and being an eyesore, like you mentioned.

J made a great suggestion to do 2 AC70s. It's great to do two filters so that you have a backup in case something happens, and so that you have even distribution of filter power.

I still think a sponge with additional filtration would be beneficial, sponges aren't really for mechanical filtration to take out the stuff from the tank, they are for bio-filtration. They provide a large surface area for the beneficial bacteria to grow on which really helps from a biological standpoint. I've read alot about sponges, with a good squeeze out weekly plus mechanical filtration they seem to be very helpful.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thanks two AC70s sounds like a good Idea I just have to check the slots size as this will be on a Seaclear 50 Gallon acrylic tank and the top has pre-cut slots.

I just ordered 2 on ebay for $43.99 each with free shipping.

I still think a sponge with additional filtration would be beneficial, sponges aren't really for mechanical filtration to take out the stuff from the tank, they are for bio-filtration. They provide a large surface area for the beneficial bacteria to grow on which really helps from a biological standpoint. I've read alot about sponges, with a good squeeze out weekly plus mechanical filtration they seem to be very helpful.

But are you reading this for goldfish or other heavy waste producers? I know that my sponge in my QT tank (uncycled, new sponge) got really dirty every day even though my fish was getting minimal food during QT.

Edited by ChelseaM

But are you reading this for goldfish or other heavy waste producers? I know that my sponge in my QT tank (uncycled, new sponge) got really dirty every day even though my fish was getting minimal food during QT.

If you have good mechanical filtration and after it is cycled I would imagine it wouldn't be quite as bad.

If you have good mechanical filtration and after it is cycled I would imagine it wouldn't be quite as bad.
What Chelsea is saying, is that sponge filters Shoukd NOT be used for goldfish. They carry too much waste and it rots in the water. The only time to really use one is for fry or like she said, a tank with fish that produce a lot less waste.

If you have ceramic rings in your filter, I don't see the need for a sponge filter. It wouldn't really be beneficial enough to warrant adding one to a goldfish tank and would be wasting space.

Hagen Biomax has 100sq foot per ring for bacteria to colonize on, do you really need more than that?

Oh!!! I was under the impression of an extra sponge INSIDE the HOB!