Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Abyss

Lysol wipes and their effectiveness

I may be in the minority here, but I think that antibacterial anything is really a waste at best, and harmful at worst.

A good clean with soap is good enough for me. :)

... I don't do anything aside from turning the hot water on in the sink and then cleaning the counters with vinegar. I'm pretty sure wipes will take care of the issues that might occur, just make sure not to get any of that cleaner on your python.

I agree with these. I wash my hands frequently and thoroughly with plain old glycerin soap, especially after coming indoors. Living in an apartment building I can only imagine the germs on door handles and elevator buttons. But I never buy antibacterial anything. Cleaning is done with hot water and vinegar. I might bust out the Comet from time to time if there's some excess bathroom grime that I need help to scrub. The only place I use cleaning product (other than dish soap for dishes) is for the toilet, because that's, well, gross.

I used to have a germophobic roomate who insisted on antibacterial everything and I was sick all the time, now I rarely get sick. I even cared for my husband when he had swine flu and was feverish, delirious and was struggling to breathe (he probably should have gone to the ER, but many of those were shut down to anything but the worst cases to prevent spread of the flu) and didn't even get a sniffle.

as far as antibacterials go... i would rather my kids eat dirt ,than use antibacterials. our obsession with cleanliness is breeding tomorrows superbugs.

^this. i feel the same way. don't prevent the commons which builds us as strong beings. it weakens the immune system and then our bodies have no way of naturally fighting anything.

i ate 'dirt' and sampled 'earth worms' and other things when i was a kid. just kids being kids we were. i am rarely sick (knock on wood!)

Yes. This.

Antibacterials seem quite useless to me as well. Good old soap works just as well as any 99.999999999999% germ killing kind does. Antibacterial products are why we see viruses becoming more and more resilient. Some people seem to have forgotten we have a built in antibacterial system! An internal UV sterilizer, if you will. :)

our obsession with cleanliness is breeding tomorrows superbugs.

Um, I'm sorry to say, but I don't think we Americans are obsessed with cleanliness.

We are obsessed with deriving fast shortcuts and (seeming) convenience, and the antibacterial culture is the epitome of this.

our obsession with cleanliness is breeding tomorrows superbugs.

Um, I'm sorry to say, but I don't think we Americans are obsessed with cleanliness.

We are obsessed with deriving fast shortcuts and (seeming) convenience, and the antibacterial culture is the epitome of this.

I agree, however I fail to see why people believe antibacterial products are shortcut to anything. I see it more as a "Believing everything they hear on TV commercials" kind of thing.

Antibacterials seem quite useless to me as well. Good old soap works just as well as any 99.999999999999% germ killing kind does. Antibacterial products are why we see viruses becoming more and more resilient. Some people seem to have forgotten we have a built in antibacterial system! An internal UV sterilizer, if you will. :)

Justin, I'm not sure how antibacterials make viruses more resilient. For why antibacterials are bad, Shakaho's concise explanation is excellent. :)

As for the "internal UV sterilizer," that too is still there. That's not the problem.

The problem, as Sharon pointed out, is the fact that when we use these antibacterials, they kill off the good guys as well as the good, and they may actually do a better job of killing the good guys than the bad guys. It creates an imbalance, and that's the problem.

Think of it this way. Our skin is a perfect place for something to grow on. Normally, these somethings are bacteria and fungi that we have established a commensal/mutual relationship with. When we use these antibacterial products (when they work), they kill off these guys, leaving a nice open space for anything to grow on, including fast growing bacterial pathogens.

i meant humans,not necessarily americans. i do not think is is a shortcut thing either. i view it as a fear of our own mortality or discomfort/inconvenience of being ill.

Justin, I'm not sure how antibacterials make viruses more resilient. For why antibacterials are bad, Shakaho's concise explanation is excellent. :)

As for the "internal UV sterilizer," that too is still there. That's not the problem.

The problem, as Sharon pointed out, is the fact that when we use these antibacterials, they kill off the good guys as well as the good, and they may actually do a better job of killing the good guys than the bad guys. It creates an imbalance, and that's the problem.

Think of it this way. Our skin is a perfect place for something to grow on. Normally, these somethings are bacteria and fungi that we have established a commensal/mutual relationship with. When we use these antibacterial products (when they work), they kill off these guys, leaving a nice open space for anything to grow on, including fast growing bacterial pathogens.

Oh, I definitely wasn't disagreeing with you! I have read Sharon's post, and I definitely see how antibacterials can do more harm than good. Now we just need people to start using the old fashioned kind of soap!

You people clean your sinks??? O-O

:rofl

Haha my thoughts exactly! I do usually wipe down the bathtub after cleaning a filter, though...

It almost sounds like we get too clean with antibacterials, kill off all the good bacteria, and give ourselves a cycle bump...

xD Come back beneficial bacteria!

I just rinse my sink after a water change, but I don't soak dishes in the sink or anything. I might do a bit more thorough cleaning if I did.

I hope your daughter is feeling a little better today. It's awful for little ones that are sick. My heart goes out to you both.

The nasty flu is going around. We had it here a couple days after Christmas. It lasted for about 36 hours for Taylor and a bit over 2 days for me. :( Having the stomach flu is Yucky.

When we first started out with having fish and draining in the sink I used to use bleach and the Lysol wipes also. I guess I got lazy over time or perhaps not caring as much, ha ha because now I just give the sink a really hot water rinse. But if I do a w/c prior to cooking a meal I tend to clean the sink a little bit more with bleach. ha ha Wouldn't want anything in the sink too soon after a w/c. :) haha

Thanks for the well wishes :)

She's feeling a bit better today, spent most if the day on the boob for comfort lol.

She slept pretty much all day had a fever of 102 so she's got some Tylenol and sleeping again hopefully tomorrow it will be passed.

Great to see if I slack off on the sink I won't be paying for it lol, I guess I'm over worrying :P as usual its a bad habit if mine lol I get it from my mother hehe.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Edited by Abyss

Ohmygosh, we had a seminar at work a few years ago on this issue. Bottom line, those Lysol wipes will clean, but only so far. They don't kill off germs the way you think they would. As I recall they don't even contain bleach? They are semi-effective.

Antibacterial soaps, wipes, etc. make the hair of microbiologists and public health people stand on end. Fortunately, they are not very effective so they don't do as much damage as they could.

Did you mean the antibacterial soaps or the microbiologists and public health officials? :tomuch:

Both, I would say, since the microbiologists and public health people have not put their message out successfully.

I agree. Someone needs to spread the word that antibacterial products aren't as beneficial as the consumer may think.

errrm... i don't do anything other than detach the python components and put them away :o

Me either!

I agree. Someone needs to spread the word that antibacterial products aren't as beneficial as the consumer may think.

Yes, but the problem is coming up with the millions of advertising dollars that producers use to convince you that you need antibacterial products.

Yes, but the problem is coming up with the millions of advertising dollars that producers use to convince you that you need antibacterial products.
Problems always seem to make a round trip back to the pocketbook, don't they?

Using regular soaps just takes a few seconds more to get the same result. it is almost a joke that it is a separate product and price point.