Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
goldiegeek

Interesting observation-older fish

Do you have a heater? Fry need to be kept warm. I keep mine at 24 degrees c or (75 degrees f)

Scarlett, can you elaborate on keeping fry warm? I have yet to use a heater with mine but could be persuaded to do so. :)

Sarah, what's the latest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a heater? Fry need to be kept warm. I keep mine at 24 degrees c or (75 degrees f)

Scarlett, can you elaborate on keeping fry warm? I have yet to use a heater with mine but could be persuaded to do so. :)

I am down to 3 and they look like they are the same size as when they were born. I've got 5 eggs cooking right now, so hopefully 5 more to add:) I'm not thinking the current batch is looking so great.

For the heater, the goal is to keep the fry between 70 and 75 (they develop the best). I like 73. I don't use a heater though. They are in my small bathroom that has a vent in it and I just keep the door almost closed. Works like a charm. What temps are your guys sitting at?

In the first instance, eggs will hatch quicker and in my experience, gather less fungus when kept at a warmer temperature.

In my opinion, fancy goldfish need heaters. They are more delicate then regular goldfish and need special requirements. If the fish are using energy to keep warm, that's energy that could have been used for growth. Also, if the fish is kept at the ideal temperature, it's less stress to the fish.

In the first instance, eggs will hatch quicker and in my experience, gather less fungus when kept at a warmer temperature.

In my opinion, fancy goldfish need heaters. They are more delicate then regular goldfish and need special requirements. If the fish are using energy to keep warm, that's energy that could have been used for growth. Also, if the fish is kept at the ideal temperature, it's less stress to the fish.

Yes, this makes good sense. :) Thanks! Being a novice goldfish keeper, for some reason I've been hesitant to add another piece of equipment to the mix. It just seems a little overwhelming :idont

When adding heater for the first time, what is the largest amount of temperature change you should make in a day or week??

Yes, this makes good sense. :) Thanks! Being a novice goldfish keeper, for some reason I've been hesitant to add another piece of equipment to the mix. It just seems a little overwhelming :idont

When adding heater for the first time, what is the largest amount of temperature change you should make in a day or week??

Go up a a degree a day. :)

I am down to 3 and they look like they are the same size as when they were born. I've got 5 eggs cooking right now, so hopefully 5 more to add:) I'm not thinking the current batch is looking so great.

For the heater, the goal is to keep the fry between 70 and 75 (they develop the best). I like 73. I don't use a heater though. They are in my small bathroom that has a vent in it and I just keep the door almost closed. Works like a charm. What temps are your guys sitting at?

I'm kind of scared to post their temp…right now they are at 66. :cold: My main tank is too. :yikes I hope no one comes along and :bat:

I hope your eggs make it! Are you planning to add them to the 3 you have now???

I'm kind of scared to post their temp…right now they are at 66. :cold: My main tank is too. :yikes I hope no one comes along and :bat:

Probably. I don't want two tanks/containers on the go...I really need to learn how to leave them in the main tank.lol The five hatched and are chillin' on the bottom:) Probably wait until they are free swimming and then add them to the other container.

I love that cold guy emoticon...lol.

Keep in mind, for your temps, the warmer the water, the less dissolved oxygen there will be.

Probably. I don't want two tanks/containers on the go...I really need to learn how to leave them in the main tank.lol The five hatched and are chillin' on the bottom:) Probably wait until they are free swimming and then add them to the other container.

I love that cold guy emoticon...lol.

Keep in mind, for your temps, the warmer the water, the less dissolved oxygen there will be.

Make sure that you have an air stone in the tank bubbling gently away, and it shouldn't be a problem.

Well, 4 of 5 eggs hatched last night. The fifth hatched this morning, but is all bent. When culling fry, do people use the clove oil approach?