Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
goldiegeek

Interesting observation-older fish

Hi Guys,

I had a spawning a few days ago. Mom and Dad are over 10 years old. I have never been able to hatch ANY of their eggs. Well, I rescued 4 eggs last night. I just couldn't let them be eaten alive. This morning I have 2 that hatched! I am shocked.

I took a close look and it seems that these little guys are about half the size of my previous newborns. They also don't really have a yolk sack to speak of. I thought it was very interesting to finally see what these guys fry look like. I wish I could grow some from them. Mom is a red and white veiltail Ryukin and Dad is an orange veiltail Oranda:) Would be nie...a girl can dream:)

Good luck with the little guys. :Congrats:

Best wishes!

Thanks guys. I don't think they'll last at all. Really weak looking. I'm curious if anyone else has some spawning old fogies. If so, do you notice the same differences I do?

Here's a photo. It sucks but it's the best I could do:)

4ajaqede.jpgty9uqe5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck sweets I hope they hold in there :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Old fogies! OMG! :rofl3

I hope these guys hang in there for you. It would be awesome to see how they turn out :D

Thanks guys. This time I am buying some RO water from Big Al's. I really didn't want to raise any more right now...but I just couldn't leave them there...stupid guilt. Lol

I'm not holding my breath this time. Lol.

Good luck, Sarah!! They have straight spines and look normal to me. Maybe this will be it?!?! :)

Awwww! I hope the old fogies :teehee produce some progeny :heart

:goodluck

Good luck, Sarah!! They have straight spines and look normal to me. Maybe this will be it?!?! :)

Thanks Erin, but... :tomuch: Out of about 50 hatched fry from about 8 different batches...I have 0 fry. I have been non-stop since November and nada. I feel like I saved them just to watch them hatch. lol. There's something weird going on, I just can't seem to put my finger on it. I swore I was going to take a break, but couldn't let them hatch in there. I guess part of it is that I've had over 500 eggs from these two and none have ever hatched. The eggs never last past day 4. When I saw bodies and knew it was day 6...it was just too tempting. :undecided: Slightly annoyed with myself:)

Thanks guys! Don't hold your breath mmmmkay? lol

Thanks guys. This time I am buying some RO water from Big Al's. I really didn't want to raise any more right now...but I just couldn't leave them there...stupid guilt. Lol

Wow your fish have been as frisky as mine.

These fry actually look nice. Good luck

Instead of RO water consider spring water. RO usually lacks any buffering unless you buy your RO from an LFS and it's buffered.

That's about what Waldo looked like after he hatched--2 eyes, a spinal cord, and otherwise clear. :teehee

Good luck! :)

Instead of RO water consider spring water. RO usually lacks any buffering unless you buy your RO from an LFS and it's buffered.

I'm getting the stuff from the lfs. Thanks, I'll definitely ask them before I go for it. Does spring water have any effects if used long term? It's pricey, but woudn't be too bad on the tiny tank...

That's about what Waldo looked like after he hatched--2 eyes, a spinal cord, and otherwise clear. :teehee

Good luck! :)

Thanks! We shall see...I'm feeling less attached, which is good:) lol

I'm getting the stuff from the lfs. Thanks, I'll definitely ask them before I go for it. Does spring water have any effects if used long term? It's pricey, but woudn't be too bad on the tiny tank...

When I first got my fish I ONLY used spring water. It wasn't too bad when I had them in a small tank. It got to be a bit pricey when I had my 55 so I used both spring and RO. When I learned about buffering I questioned the LFS regarding the RO and they buffered it back to 7.0 pH.

Once I got my 120 NO WAY could I afford spring. I weaned them off by still adding a bottle or two of spring water and RO. Now I'm straight tap.

Just keep in mind that you'll run into the issue if different pH from your tap eventually and will need to adjust slowly to tap only.

I've kept my fry in tap only just dosing Prime every day if needed.

Fish need the minerals in water for osmotic reasons. Pure RO is stripped of everything unless buffered back.

I still buy the RO from the LFS but only use that monthly to refill my canister after cleaning so I don't have to worry about killing the BBS

When I first got my fish I ONLY used spring water. It wasn't too bad when I had them in a small tank. It got to be a bit pricey when I had my 55 so I used both spring and RO. When I learned about buffering I questioned the LFS regarding the RO and they buffered it back to 7.0 pH.

Once I got my 120 NO WAY could I afford spring. I weaned them off by still adding a bottle or two of spring water and RO. Now I'm straight tap.

Just keep in mind that you'll run into the issue if different pH from your tap eventually and will need to adjust slowly to tap only.

Fish need the minerals in water for osmotic reasons. Pure RO is stripped of everything unless buffered back.

I still buy the RO from the LFS but only use that monthly to refill my canister after cleaning so I don't have to worry about killing the BBS

Okay, I picked up a jug of RO, not buffered. The other Big Al's has the mineral additive. Will that take care of the pH? Sorry, I have no experience with RO.

Okay, I picked up a jug of RO, not buffered. The other Big Al's has the mineral additive. Will that take care of the pH? Sorry, I have no experience with RO.

I would be really careful trying to adjust pH with fry. They are much more sensitive and due to size what would be a small change to an adult would be a bigger change to them.

Why so you want to use RO? Is your tap parameters that bad?

If you are concerned about ammonia etc in tap just dose daily Prime.

Or if you just want to give them a more hospitable environment, I would really go with natural spring water.

Okay, got the spring water! lol. Very excited to try this out. The reason is that with all of my failures and not being able to figure out why, the only thing left is the water. I have supersaturated gases and no matter what I did there were detritus worms showing up which can be harmful to eggs and fry (saw them eating the eggs). That's with water from the tap and no cross-contamination (fry only equipment). I figure it can't hurt to give it a shot:)

Thanks so much for the advice, I really appreciate your input!

Do you have a heater? Fry need to be kept warm. I keep mine at 24 degrees c or (75 degrees f)

Do you have a heater? Fry need to be kept warm. I keep mine at 24 degrees c or (75 degrees f)

My guys are always kept at 73 degrees:)

Well, they are still alive (aka I haven't killed them yet). lol. Started bbs last night. No one was all that interested except the guy we call piggy. He was right in there. I think they all ate this morning. Had another spawning today between a new pair...the mom from this batch and the dad from my other batches. They are staying in the darn tank. If any make it to day 5, I'll take them out.

If I get any in a few days, is it okay to throw them in with the existing fry, they are 3 days old, so about a week in the difference.

Fingers crossed this batch hangs around!

Fingers crossed this batch hangs around!

Thanks. I'm sure they'll make it to week 3 or 4, but then it's "wait and see". I am so hoping their "chi chi la la" spring water does the trick. lol Such divas:)