Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MissFr0sty

Unwanted Fancy goldfish breeding

Okay, since there seems to be some confusion, I am always aware of my tank sizes when I buy them.. lol. I happen to own a 29 gallon in addition to this one that is not in use currently. Mikey, this is a 37 gallon like I said in my previous post. It is 30x12x22, ;which actualy comes to about 34 gallons if you do the math , but it is sold as a 37 gallon. I am also not medicating. I do add salt to the water whenever my fish have any sort of injury, the ones my female sustained are very superficial. Abyss, I love your avatar! Yeah I actually considered adding another fish for that reason but was worried about them all growing faster than I wanted to upgrade the tank, haha and if I keep any of the babies when they're older, I'll put them together in a larger tank. About the gravel, yeah I've been throwing around the idea of no gravel recently because of how much easier it would be to clean. Switched to sand in my tropical tank for that reason =) . Probably will remove it in the somewhat near future. I just don't want to shock my biofiltration right now, which is happening mostly in the gravel (provides large surface area). I keep one HOB filter for 40 gallons which is not much for goldfish, I do 50% twice a week and 90% every 3 weeks on all my tanks. Thanks all for ideas about the breeding. I mainly intend to prevent injury as I would prefer not to separate them. :)

Sorry if there was any misunderstanding, I didn't think that you were unaware of your tank size or that you were medicating. You'd be surprised how many people are unaware of their actual tank size. It's always a good thing to know, of course. :) Like others have said, I think the best way to prevent any injury besides complete separation is the removal of sharp ornaments! Have a good day! :)

Could you please explain your filtration a little better? Like the make and model of your filter, what you put in it, etc? That would be a good thing to know if you intend to remove the gravel, as there are many ways to do it without providing too much shock to your biofilter if you have one that is set up properly.

Those are some pretty fish :) I like the yellow one's color!

I'd agree with taking some of the plastic plants out. I've had those kind of plastic plants in a goldfish tank before (a long time ago . . ), but I ended up taking them out because they were causing tears in my fishes fins just from their regular swimming around, and I'm sure it would be worse from the chasing during spawning. Real plants would be better as the leaves are so much softer, plus they give the fish something to nibble on and poke at. :D The only problem would be the gravel you have in your tank is not really suited for plants, although there are a few where that doesn't matter so much. You could do bare bottom with the plants in terracotta pots.

As for making them stop breeding, there's no real way to do that except separate them. :no: I wouldn't really recommend getting another fish to distract them, because you may very well get another male, in which case your lady fish would have to watch out! I have four males and one female, and when love is in the water, things get a little hectic (and then her adolescent son decides to join the chase with the big boys . . . :doh11: )

Wow! I love that first picture! It looks like they posed for the camera!

"Mom....what are you doing ?!"

My caption for the 3rd pic is

"ahem, can we get some privacy, please?"

Wow! I love that first picture! It looks like they posed for the camera!

"Mom....what are you doing ?!"

My caption for the 3rd pic is

"ahem, can we get some privacy, please?"

:rofl If only my fish would stay this still for the camera!

Alright guys, so my 37 gal sprung an extremely small leak in one corner and I've had to empty it and move my goldies to a 30 gallon rubbermaid bin. Stacked two of them so the sides don't snap. I've decided that once I repair the leak, I am going to give no gravel a try and I've ordered some water sprite since it tends to grow fast and is easy to care for. If the filter has trouble keeping up at first without the gravel, I have an established tank to help, but prepaired for some good water changes and testing. I'll post pics once it is set up. I actually love the bin because it has more horizontal swimming space rather than height and is so easy to clean. I really prefer wider tanks. ;)

Alright guys, so my 37 gal sprung an extremely small leak in one corner and I've had to empty it and move my goldies to a 30 gallon rubbermaid bin. Stacked two of them so the sides don't snap. I've decided that once I repair the leak, I am going to give no gravel a try and I've ordered some water sprite since it tends to grow fast and is easy to care for. If the filter has trouble keeping up at first without the gravel, I have an established tank to help, but prepaired for some good water changes and testing. I'll post pics once it is set up. I actually love the bin because it has more horizontal swimming space rather than height and is so easy to clean. I really prefer wider tanks. ;)

Aw, I'm sorry about your tank :hug Wider tanks are better for goldfish, and they seem to enjoy them more than tall tanks. As for the gravel, the best way to remove it is a cupful at a time while the filter is going. Remove one cup every 2-3 days. This way the BBs can catch up as some of the bacteria is lost when you remove the gravel. :)