Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MissFr0sty

Unwanted Fancy goldfish breeding

Hi, this is actually my first post here. I have a fantail and ryukin that are both about 4 inches long, and they spawned today, after spawning about 3 weeks ago. I am currently taking care of the almost 3 week old fry, but will be leaving eggs laid today in the tank for my fish to eat or disposing of them. There are much fewer eggs than the last spawning.

I was just wondering if there is a way I can prevent courting behaviour without separating them. The only reason I mind is because the female got a little beaten up both times and hasn't completely healed yet from the first spawning. By beaten up, I mean slight injuries that don't influence living, like gills missing skin/scale and a small tear in one of her fins. Today she is a little bit scratched, I assume from being pushed against the gravel. I have been treating the water with salt to prevent infection, but I would prefer to prevent any more injuries. I've done a lot of research but I am unable to find ways to prevent breeding. I'm not even sure what triggered it, there have been no changes at all to their environment. I just hate to see one of my fish injured. Hoping this will be the last time.

Thanks in advance.

These are my two fish,

1545207_10202283967874961_1498350544_n.j

Simply put, there is not a way for you to accomplish your goal without permanent separation.

^^^ Agreed. Also, welcome! :hi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you very much for your advise and welcome ! =) I love this website so far and seeing the photos of everyones beautiful fish.

Welcome! :) yup. Excellent advice above :D!

Ps, you have an Oranda (the white one) and a fantail :).

Your tank is beautiful, but maybe take a few things out? It seems like there isn't a lot of swimming room. Could we have a full tank shot, please? And how many gallons is it?

Edited by Mikey

^+1 oranda and a fantail. either separation or a change in decor.plastic plants can snag and the large decorations can cause scale loss and injury,along with making dead spots with no circulation.the will house anaerobic bacteria and produce harmful gasses.silk or live plants are better options. i like your oranda.

Edited by sandybottom

Very pretty fish. Good luck with the young ones.

I would agree the injuries were more likely caused by being rammed into the rock, or mountain looking thing, or the sharp ring on the Tupperware container. What do you have in that container besides rocks? Nice looking fish.

they're both super cute! i can see why they don't leave eachother alone! ;):wub:

Okay thank you all for your thoughts. I will attach some photos of how the tank is arranged recently. I had rocks and plastic plants in the tupper ware containers because I liked how they looked potted, lol. If they try spawning again, I will remove any hard decorations to prevent injury. I do hope on having the tank planted once I can afford more live plants. Also ,this is a 37 gallon tank and I am well aware that they will get much larger. They'll be going into a larger tank when they are a little older and I can afford it, haha. Oh and that's interesting, thanks for letting me know that I have an oranda and fantail. Better at identifying tropicals. Okay I just took these photos.

1800241_10202378666082357_1933268472_n.j

1888446_10202378666482367_122620100_n.jp

1780746_10202378666042356_1124397400_n.j

:) Welcome to Kokos! There are quite a few of us that have been rendered "unintentional grandparents", so you're in good company here. :rofl3

Wow! I love that first picture! It looks like they posed for the camera!

Beautiful fish you have :)

Yay someone else with an Ariel avatar woot!! Welcome to KoKos!

I will agree with dnalex! My moors are constantly getting frisky but my female doesn't mind, they both get superficial scrapes and dulling of scales but I maintain my water and keep the tank clean so I'm not too worried about them.

Only thing that might work is keeping the water cool, because it doesn't trigger and stimulate the male as much, I've noticed it can help give it a rest, but hey... If there is love there is love lol.

Also if you have room to add more fish it might distract the male to not just be on one female. But short from complete separation not much there is to do.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Edited by Abyss

I will agree with dnalex! My moors are constantly getting frisky but my female doesn't mind, they both get superficial scrapes and dulling of scales but I maintain my water and keep the tank clean so I'm not too worried about them.

Only thing that might work is keeping the water cool, because it doesn't trigger and stimulate the male as much, I've noticed it can help give it a rest, but hey... If there is love there is love lol.

Also if you have room to add more fish it might distract the male to not just be on one female. But short from complete separation not much there is to do.

I don't see how there is more room. The tank appears to be a 29 gallon and I would NOT put another fish in there in my opinion.

Edited by Mikey

I don't see how there is more room. The tank appears to be a 29 gallon and I would NOT put another fish in there in my opinion.

Actually I think it is a 37 like the OP says. Dimensions of a standard 37 (which is a standard size) are 30x12x22. I may be wrong. It may be a 29. OP, can we get the dimensions of the tank? LxWxH please? Just so we can tell you what size the tank is for sure so we don't overdose on any medicines or use too much Prime. Regardless, whether it be a 29 or a 37, I would also have to agree with Mikey in that I wouldn't recommend any more fish for this particular tank.

Actually I think it is a 37 like the OP says. Dimensions of a standard 37 (which is a standard size) are 30x12x22. I may be wrong. It may be a 29. OP, can we get the dimensions of the tank? LxWxH please? Just so we can tell you what size the tank is for sure so we don't overdose on any medicines or use too much Prime. Regardless, whether it be a 29 or a 37, I would also have to agree with Mikey in that I wouldn't recommend any more fish for this particular tank.

You can't really overdose prime. YOu can, but it's hard to do. In the OP's tank, a capful will be fine. And we don't need to add meds. This is strictly about truing to stop breeding. The fish aren't ill.

You can't really overdose prime. YOu can, but it's hard to do. In the OP's tank, a capful will be fine. And we don't need to add meds. This is strictly about truing to stop breeding. The fish aren't ill.

If the OP believes the tank is 37, but it is really 29, that is a problem. Whenever they start a D&D thread, they may end up dosing the tank for 37. I know that tank size is not specifically what this thread is about, but rarely do we always stay on topic here. I think that if we can tell the OP what her tank size is, we should. I, for one, can't imagine not knowing how large my tank is. I would think that you would want to know as well.

If the OP believes the tank is 37, but it is really 29, that is a problem. Whenever they start a D&D thread, they may end up dosing the tank for 37. I know that tank size is not specifically what this thread is about, but rarely do we always stay on topic here. I think that if we can tell the OP what her tank size is, we should. I, for one, can't imagine not knowing how large my tank is. I would think that you would want to know as well.

If the OP needed to start a D&D, then tank size will come into topic there. It is obvious that the OP's tank is stocked normally whether it be a 29 or 37. It does not matter at this point in time to know the exact gallonage. We are becoming off topic, let's stop posting about this.

Medications are not the only things that are reliant on tank size. MissFr0sty, if your tank is 30x12x22, you are correct in thinking that your tank is 37 gallons. If it is 30x12x18, it is a 27 gallon. I will leave it at that, and good luck with your fish! :)

I'm pretty sure she knows her tank's size and implications of that size, guys. :teehee

Miss Frosty,

Since we can't really prevent spawning without separating the fish, it'd be a good idea to think of ways to prevent the injuries from the spawning.

The main concern I would have regarding your tank is the amount of pointy objects in it that could potentially harm the female during the spawning. You have a lot of bristly plastic plants, as well as a lot of ornaments with sharp corners or rough surfaces. If you have the time and money, I would suggest that you consider switching to silk plants or even real ones if you feel adventurous. There are a lot of easy real plants that require very little upkeep other than light.

I also would suggest that you consider moving away from having gravel in your tank and either switching to sand or even having a bare-bottom tank. Gravel has many downsides with keeping goldfish, but the top ones I can think of are that it can get caught in a fish's mouth and choke them. It also collects and holds waste despite regular vacuuming, which is bad when you have one of the messiest pet fish out there.

Edited by ChelseaM

I'm pretty sure she knows her tank's size and implications of that size, guys. :teehee

Miss Frosty,

Since we can't really prevent spawning without separating the fish, it'd be a good idea to think of ways to prevent the injuries from the spawning.

The main concern I would have regarding your tank is the amount of pointy objects in it that could potentially harm the female during the spawning. You have a lot of bristly plastic plants, as well as a lot of ornaments with sharp corners or rough surfaces. If you have the time and money, I would suggest that you consider switching to silk plants or even real ones if you feel adventurous. There are a lot of easy real plants that require very little upkeep other than light.

I also would suggest that you consider moving away from having gravel in your tank and either switching to sand or even having a bare-bottom tank. Gravel has many downsides with keeping goldfish, but the top ones I can think of are that it can get caught in a fish's mouth and choke them. It also collects and holds waste despite regular vacuuming, which is bad when you have one of the messiest pet fish out there.

Not to mention, ornaments unnecessarily take up swimming room and may be breeding grounds for anaerobic bacteria.

Miss Frosty,

Not to mention, ornaments unnecessarily take up swimming room and may be breeding grounds for anaerobic bacteria.

I didn't really mention the last part because it really only applies to hollow ornaments.

Miss Frosty,

It was a hypothetical answer, I wasn't telling her necessarily to put more fish in her tank, sorry if it came out that way I was just giving ideas on how to stop the persistent male. 'If' you have room'. You can get away with having 3 fish in a 37g if you do enough WC and watch your parameters.

I know alot of ppl who keep overstocked tanks, they are more diligent with WC and watch carefully, they figure out what their bio load is and adjust their maintenance accordingly. It is doable, if you have the experience.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk