Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
goldiegeek

Is this normal?

4 posts in this topic

I have two tanks that have been spawning non-stop since November. I recently upgraded a tank and moved fish around. I moved my two ranchus into a 40 long...the spawning 40 long. :yeah:

Steve and Quartz are about 14 months old. No spawning behaviour at all. Not 2 hours into their move and Steve is after Quartz. This morning, my husband announces that they are spawning. I had to drive my son to school, so no time to check it out. When I got home, I made a beeline for the tank. Sure enough, eggs. Not your average run of the mill eggs, mind you. These things are TINY. Maybe about 25% of the "normal" size. At first I thought it was just debris of some kind, but when I got my magnifying glass out, I coud see the eyes...tiny, tiny eyes. lol.

1) Is it weird that they are spawning at 14 months old?

2) Is it normal to have really small eggs? Is it because she is so young, or what? I can't even get a photo.

Greetings Goldiegeek and congratulations.

1. No it is not unusual .

" goldfish spawn the year after hatching, although occasionally fish which are spawned in the spring and kept under optimum conditions will show signs of being sexually mature in their first autumn.However , fish less than a year old throw few eggs , and these are smaller than those of mature fish." this i quote for you from Dr. Matsui prof of fish culture ,Kinki University , Japan.

the normal eggs are about 1.5 mm in diameter but as the take on water will swell and harden.

mine often are ready at age 9-10 month as they are bred in in inside with warmer waters.

2. 14 month is not so young. but you know exact age ? small eggs are not desired as most likely will produce small fry so harder to grow. i think.

Greetings Goldiegeek and congratulations.

1. No it is not unusual .

" goldfish spawn the year after hatching, although occasionally fish which are spawned in the spring and kept under optimum conditions will show signs of being sexually mature in their first autumn.However , fish less than a year old throw few eggs , and these are smaller than those of mature fish." this i quote for you from Dr. Matsui prof of fish culture ,Kinki University , Japan.

the normal eggs are about 1.5 mm in diameter but as the take on water will swell and harden.

mine often are ready at age 9-10 month as they are bred in in inside with warmer waters.

2. 14 month is not so young. but you know exact age ? small eggs are not desired as most likely will produce small fry so harder to grow. i think.

That's just what I need, eggs that are harder to grow...lol. Thank you so much, I was worried that she may produce sub-par eggs regulary. It's really good to know that this is normal. I wish I could get a side by side of a normal egg and these ones. The fry would be incredibly small. You are a wealth of breeding knowledge.

I got these two last February, together. They were so small, they couldn't have been more than 2.5 to 3 months old. I was actually surprised to see them for sale so young. I figure they have to be between 14 and 15 months old. Somewhere in there. Man have they grown:) By far my most social fish. No fear there:)

I'm looking forward to a "real" spawning with these two. Dad (Steve) is a ranchu with a nice fat body, very fine tuck and no swim bladder issues.

Here is the best I could do for a photo of some tiny eggs. It's a terrible shot, but these eggs are tricky. As an attempt to show their size, I stuck the most average size of gravel beside them. Not the most accurate method, but you'll get the idea.

ge8a4atu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The biggest piece of gravel is the average size one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk