Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FishWish

Prazi Pro safety for young fry

A few questions about game planning the QT of my 2 week old fry...

1. Is Prazi Pro considered safe and what most people successfully use to QT fry? I have read that the liquid PP is too thick/oily and makes it hard for fry to breathe... these fish keepers use the powdered form of Prazi instead.

2. Could someone give me the correct dosage of the preferred product for 5 gallons of water?

3. As of now, I am transferring 35 fry from one clean container of water to another every two days. They are 14 days old and I am not using a filter yet…therefore no established cycle. I'm not sure how the Prazi schedule would look with replacing the water every two days. Or, will I have to keep them in one container and try to clean it with w/c as I go.

4. Is any salt involved in this process?

Sorry for all of the questions. I have been very fortunate that all of my fry have made it, and they are growing like weeds! :D

I'm with you on the liquid. It's the only common denominator in all my failures. I'm sticking with the powder from now on, no idea about the dosage though. I know it's 1/8 tsp/2.5 gallons, so it would be 1/4 tsp for 5 gallons with the liquid. I am still definitely going to do the Prazi treatment, though. I don't salt, but many people do. Hopefully a "salter" will chime in:)

I have always had them in a tank with a sponge filter during the treatment. As long as you keep the Prazi levels where they should be, water changes shouldn't be an issue. I do 50% every day, adding back what I take out. I like the idea of some aeration (sponge filter) when treating.

If you find the powder Prazi, I'd love to know where you got it. I have it on special order. The clerk looked at me like I had 3 heads when I asked lol. She really wanted me to use the liquid..."so much easier"...no thanks.

Goldfish Connection carries powdered prazi.

http://goldfishconnection.com/shop/details.php?productId=171&catId=1

Dosing might be kinda tricky for such a small amount of water. I'm not sure if other powdered prazi would be easier to dose.

Erin, I love that you are about a week ahead of me with your fry. I had the same question and you beat me to it. :lol2

You need to update your thread with some pics. :photo:

This is copied from the Goldfishconnection.com page...

Hi P.J., one level TABLEspoon treats 500 gallons. There are three TEASpoons in a tablespoon. So one LEVEL teaspoon would treat 170 gallons. One half teaspoon would treat 85 gallons. So if you used a little less then a half teaspoon would be just right for your 55 gallon tank. Don't worry about over dosing just a little, our Aqua Prazi is very safe for your goldfish and it will not set back your filter. Remove the carbon from your filter, do a 25% water change, add the Aqua Prazi and NO water changes for 7 days.

My thoughts are...

Go out and buy a 20 gallon QT tank….thinking this would save money in the long run because I have 35 fry. Then the powdered dosage would be 1/8 tsp for 20 gallons. Go ahead and put in the sponge filter with very light flow air stone, and start water changes as needed. Eliminate the sterilte tubs (although I really love having 100% fresh water). Guess it's time for some BB to start growing. :teehee

Can 14 day old fry handle the depth of a 20 gallon long tank? :idont

This is copied from the Goldfishconnection.com page...

Hi P.J., one level TABLEspoon treats 500 gallons. There are three TEASpoons in a tablespoon. So one LEVEL teaspoon would treat 170 gallons. One half teaspoon would treat 85 gallons. So if you used a little less then a half teaspoon would be just right for your 55 gallon tank. Don't worry about over dosing just a little, our Aqua Prazi is very safe for your goldfish and it will not set back your filter. Remove the carbon from your filter, do a 25% water change, add the Aqua Prazi and NO water changes for 7 days.

My thoughts are...

Go out and buy a 20 gallon QT tank….thinking this would save money in the long run because I have 35 fry. Then the powdered dosage would be 1/8 tsp for 20 gallons. Go ahead and put in the sponge filter with very light flow air stone, and start water changes as needed. Eliminate the sterilte tubs (although I really love having 100% fresh water). Guess it's time for some BB to start growing. :teehee

Can 14 day old fry handle the depth of a 20 gallon long tank? :idont

I wouldn't fill it all the way yet. I usually raise the height by an inch/week. At this point, maybe fill it just to the top of the sponge filter so it bubbles, if you have one. If not, I'd go 8 inches.

FishWish, you can order a scale that is sensitive to 0.1 grams, and then weigh out exactly what you need. :)

I think a number of people have used Prazipro with fry at 2 weeks without issue, but I hope that these people actually confirm this in this thread.

That sounds like a good plan. :D

As far at the prazi goes, keep in mind prazi is only active for about 4 days. So if you do a WC Days 2-4, add in the amount you change out. If you do a WC Days 5-7 (assuming you stick to a 7 day schedule which is what I would do), no Prazi added. :D

What depth of water do you have them in now? :idont

I used prazi pro from day 1 for multiple batches of fry without any problems. The only deaths I had were either from culling, visible deformations, and cannibalism :o Other than that, I'm pretty confident it was what prevented any die outs from flukes. You shouldn't run into any problems as long as you stick as accurately to the dose recommended as possible.

I used prazi pro from day 1 for multiple batches of fry without any problems. The only deaths I had were either from culling, visible deformations, and cannibalism :o Other than that, I'm pretty confident it was what prevented any die outs from flukes. You shouldn't run into any problems as long as you stick as accurately to the dose recommended as possible.

Did you use salt at all? :idont

I didn't use salt, I did all the rounds without it Edited by bubbles22

I didn't use salt, I did all the rounds without it

Thanks for your input. :D That helps. :nana

As far at the prazi goes, keep in mind prazi is only active for about 4 days. So if you do a WC Days 2-4, add in the amount you change out. If you do a WC Days 5-7 (assuming you stick to a 7 day schedule which is what I would do), no Prazi added. :D

Lisa,

They are at a depth of about 6 inches in a sterilite tub. As much as they have grown, I don't see any reason not to add more depth to the water. But, I do like Sarah's plan of adding incrementally. Slow and steady always wins the race, right?!?!

Glad to hear this…and your fry are beautiful! I would rather use the Prazi Pro from a convenience stand point because I have it here readily available and won't have to spend another 20 bucks. :P

FishWish, you can order a scale that is sensitive to 0.1 grams, and then weigh out exactly what you need. :)

I think a number of people have used Prazipro with fry at 2 weeks without issue, but I hope that these people actually confirm this in this thread.

Alex, I have been meaning to order a scale. Definitely need one!

Do y'all think 10 gallon or 20 gallon would be best?

I hear that these are head shop specialities. I dare you to go into one of those places. :rofl

I would use a 20 gallon.

Shoot I was hoping no one answered the 10 or 20 gallon question yet so I could demand pics to make the decision. :devilangel

:rofl3

I hear that these are head shop specialities. I dare you to go into one of those places. :rofl

I would use a 20 gallon.

Hahahaha!!! Our local "Ra Shop"!!! They would either think I am crazy or a narc! :rofl3

for fish wink, " Stock solution " A very easy and acurate way of dosing therapeutic baths is to prepare a stock solution. These are made by dissolving a certain amount of drug in a liter of water. One milliliter of this mixture thus contain one-thousandth part of the whole amount. As a rule, one gram of drug is dissolved in one liter of water to make a stock solution , one milliter of which contains one milligram of drug. example, prazi dose of 2.5mg /liter desired for a 40 liter tank volume. 2.5ml x40 = 100 ml of stock solution. which is measured with a syringe or graduated cylinder or by weight on scale (100ml =100 gram.)

I use this for everything from very small bowl to large ponds.

ref. handbook of fish diseases by Dr.Dieter Untergasser.

for fish wink, " Stock solution " A very easy and acurate way of dosing therapeutic baths is to prepare a stock solution. These are made by dissolving a certain amount of drug in a liter of water. One milliliter of this mixture thus contain one-thousandth part of the whole amount. As a rule, one gram of drug is dissolved in one liter of water to make a stock solution , one milliter of which contains one milligram of drug. example, prazi dose of 2.5mg /liter desired for a 40 liter tank volume. 2.5ml x40 = 100 ml of stock solution. which is measured with a syringe or graduated cylinder or by weight on scale (100ml =100 gram.)

I use this for everything from very small bowl to large ponds.

ref. handbook of fish diseases by Dr.Dieter Untergasser.

Excellent idea. :D

Excellent point! I was on the 5 day.

I think for fry, especially, a few days off is good. :D

I'm starting early next batch. I've had massive die offs. Good to know:)