Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Justin

Breeding stars! Right?

Hey guys! This is the first New Year that I've had my fish. I've had them since summer 2013. So, they've never displayed breeding behavior until now. My black moor chases around my ryukin. I noticed what I believe to be breeding tubercles. I've attached a picture so you can hopefully assure me that they are breeding stars and not anything else. They are on his gill plate and on the tips if his fins, resembling white dots. Sorry about the blurriness in the picture, he felt the need to wave to me! tyha3uzu.jpg

Edited by Justin

It's a boy!! :nana

Thats either some selective fashionable ich or breeding stars. Lol ill go with breeding stars.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Manly man! :flex:

Black moor male on the prowl!

He needs a bowtie :o

Great! I might have to wait until next year for any [viable] eggs but I'm okay with that. Is it possible to get any fertilized eggs in the first year? I assume they were only a few months old whenever I bought them, making them not even a year old yet. (I got them at a chain pet store unfortunately, but, hey, Iove em'.) Thanks for the reassurance about the stars!

I recently introduced a male into my tank and my female produced breeding stars. Everything about her is female and she had never gotten stars until I brought the male in. Breeding stars are a strange thing.

Great! I might have to wait until next year for any [viable] eggs but I'm okay with that. Is it possible to get any fertilized eggs in the first year? I assume they were only a few months old whenever I bought them, making them not even a year old yet. (I got them at a chain pet store unfortunately, but, hey, Iove em'.) Thanks for the reassurance about the stars!

Nice stars!

You could get viable eggs now, TBH. But raising fry is pretty demanding, so I'd do some heavy research before attempting it. Sometimes I wish goldies could do it themselves...

I recently introduced a male into my tank and my female produced breeding stars. Everything about her is female and she had never gotten stars until I brought the male in. Breeding stars are a strange thing.

Are you sure that your 'female' isn't really a male? Has she laid eggs before?

Nice stars!

You could get viable eggs now, TBH. But raising fry is pretty demanding, so I'd do some heavy research before attempting it. Sometimes I wish goldies could do it themselves...

Are you sure that your 'female' isn't really a male? Has she laid eggs before?
Oh, I know it's demanding, especially from what I've seen around here with people trying to do it! Edited by Justin

Aww! Your baby is definitely a boy.

Very handsome at that also.

Aww! Your baby is definitely a boy.

Very handsome at that also.

Thanks you! If you look closely, he has a deformed mouth, but he still eats like a monster!

Congrats it's a boy ;) he's super cute too :)

Congrats it's a boy ;) he's super cute too :)

Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No she has never laid eggs before but she's fatter, has a different vent, and has more rounded pectoral fins than my assumed male. I've heard a few cases of confused females showing some breeding stars, but I guess I can't be sure unless my two fish spawn.