Jack's Scrapes

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) <5
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2, kh=8 drops, gh=8 drops
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Master
      • * Water temperature? 73F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 30 Gallon, 3 months
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AC 50, AC 20, 2.5 gallon refugium
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 2x week
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? yesterday, 70%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2, 2.5 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime, baking soda, gh booster, crushed coral
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 2x days, repashy and NLS gel food
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. salt to block nitrates for 1/8-1/22; MMs 14 days ended 1/11; 3 rounds of prazi ended 12/12--2 rounds with .2% salt;
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? loose scale, white outline on wen
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? no

Jack looks like he got scraped up a bit around the wen area. He has a loose scale just before his wen and has a white outline on his wen. Should I put him in a mild salt/water mixture to help the healing? Pictures to follow.

I'll wait for pics before making a suggestion. Do you know how and/or where he scraped himself?

I'll wait for pics before making a suggestion. Do you know how and/or where he scraped himself?

Just posted. Injury happened Saturday. I don't know how he did it. Maybe got himself wedge into the big rocks.

It doesn't look bad at all. :)

It's really up to you in terms of what you want to do. I've salted, and I've also just left it alone. (I think this exercise is for the human's peace of mind. :rofl)

If you do decide to salt, go with 0.1%. At this concentration, and did the duration I am proposing (1 week), there is no need to remove the plants. :)

It doesn't look bad at all. :)

It's really up to you in terms of what you want to do. I've salted, and I've also just left it alone. (I think this exercise is for the human's peace of mind. :rofl)

If you do decide to salt, go with 0.1%. At this concentration, and did the duration I am proposing (1 week), there is no need to remove the plants. :)

Thank you, Alex, I'll wait another day or two. If the injury doesn't look a little better, I'll salt at .1% for 1 week.

Oh, I should have shared the following:

I took all Marimo out of the tank (Friday) and put just a piece of torn up Marimo in the tank for him to chomp on. Jack ate a little bit too much because he looked like he got a bit of a stomach ache (looking forlorn and moving slowly) and that piece of Marimo was very mangled. I took the Marimo piece out of the tank (all Marimo is now in the refugium). Next day he was totally back to his normal self. Then later in the day the injury appeared. My story is that he was searching high and low for the Marimo (or for food in general) and got himself into a bit of a scrape. I don't think that OD'ing on Marimo has anything to do with what is presenting because the forlorn look and slow movements are totally gone. But I'll keep a watch out!

The white "ring" on Jack's wen has settled into a red (but no too red) spot on his wen. Here are some pics:

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y357/LisaCGold/P2030742_zps5217d716.jpg

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y357/LisaCGold/P2030740_zpsb1762ba3.jpg

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y357/LisaCGold/P2030741_zpsc46e63df.jpg

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y357/LisaCGold/P2030739_zpsecfdb232.jpg

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y357/LisaCGold/P2030743_zps06c0cd63.jpg

The red spot is a bit redder than what is shown in the pictures.

The loose scale is still hanging out on the edge of his wen. I assume at some point it will fall off. Or I'll have to get brave enough to pick it off his head.

Anyway, I've not salted the tank yet cause I want to check to see if this is the right thing to do. (I totally forgot that I wrote in a previous post that I would salt the tank if the white "ring" did not get better.) Should I proceed with salting the tank to .1%?

Lisa,

I would like to try something a little different, if you are up to it.

- Dab the wound once with a HP soaked Q-tip

- use Melafix

Lisa,

I would like to try something a little different, if you are up to it.

- Dab the wound once with a HP soaked Q-tip

- use Melafix

How long do I let the hydrogen peroxide sit on the wound before I put Jack back in the water?

About 5 seconds. If he squirms too much, just let him back in. :)

About 5 seconds. If he squirms too much, just let him back in. :)

I can do the HP treatment tonight. I'll get melafix tomorrow at petco. Or should I wait to do the HP treatment when I can treat water with melafix right away?

I would do them both at the same time. I don't think that there is a rush.

Just alert us if things look worse after two days of Melafix, instead of better. I am bolstered by two recent uses of Melafix on this forum, and would like to give it a chance. :)

I would do them both at the same time. I don't think that there is a rush. Just alert us if things look worse after two days of Melafix, instead of better. I am bolstered by two recent uses of Melafix on this forum, and would like to give it a chance. :)

Will do! Thank you so much!

It is day two of using Melafix. No big changes yet. I did a HP swab to the red spot and to the loose scale. This was just on day 1. The spot is still the same. The scale has lifted a bit revealing a white spot underneath (I assume this is just where scale was ripped from). I'll be watching that spot closely to see if the Melafix will affect that.

Jack seems unaffected by all of this except for his brief momentary confusion after I swabbed him on day 1. He is busily looking for food. Last night I saw him suck up a very long java moss leaf like it was a spaghetti noodle. Must not have been tasty because he isn't ripping up the java moss everywhere, like he did with the Marimo moss. :)

:rofl

Will you upload pics of the affected sites when you are able, Lisa? Thanks!

Looks OK to me. :)

Does it look like it's bloody underneath? It doesn't appear to be the case to me, but I want to want to verify with you.

Looks OK to me. :)

Does it look like it's bloody underneath? It doesn't appear to be the case to me, but I want to want to verify with you.

Doesn't look too bloody to me, more like raw skin healing. I wish I could take better picture, but I would need a better camera.

I just noticed that Whale's small white spots on his caudal fins seems to disappearing. I'll have to watch if that will continue over the next couple of days.

I'll post another set of pictures in two days.

Is there a need to do another HP swab on Jack?

Thank you, Alex!

There are different schools of thought on this, and I am in the group that prefers to use HP just once. In so many ways, it's used for cauterization, tissue debridement, and wound sterilization, but because it is non-specific, it will kill healthy tissue as well. So, it's good to do it once to kill of what we need, and then that's it. :)

Here are the latest pics of Jack's wen area:

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y357/LisaCGold/P2070786_zpsfe6fb733.jpg

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y357/LisaCGold/P2070785_zps3cb60f5b.jpg

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y357/LisaCGold/P2070781_zpsa30af6ac.jpg

http://i1029.photobucket.com/albums/y357/LisaCGold/P2070779_zps64c51816.jpg

The red/orange spot doesn't look worse. The loose scale has laid back down again so I can't see underneath it, but that area looks less irritated.

Whale's white bumps on his caudal fins look better.

I've been putting in the Melafix. I'm due for a WC tomorrow, and I'm not too sure how much Melafix to put in. Here is what I've put in the tank:

Day 1: 2 tsp

Day 2: 2.5 tsp

Day 3: 2 tsp

Day 4: 2 tsp

I'm suppose to put in 1 tsp per 10 gallons for 7 days then do 25% WC. That 25% WC is obviously for nongoldfish. I've put in less than instructed. Why? Oh, because I was a bit weirded out about using something I'm not familiar with and then it kinda causes bubbles on the surface. Also, this idea of adding more each day without a WC is weird.

I'm going to do a 70% WC tomorrow, so how much Melafix should I put in? Does Melafix go away after a day or so? If that's the case, I'll just put in 2 tsp when I do the WC tomorrow. But I'm not too sure. Thoughts?

Edited by LisaCGold

I'm going to ask Jess and Lisa and the others on the mod team to come by and take a look, but it appears to me that that spot is really the beginning of a color change on Jack. :rofl

Note how similar in color that spot looks to the yellow/orange elsewhere on his body.

I would like to stop the Melafix, as I think you have derived all the goodness you can from it already. :)

I'm going to ask Jess and Lisa and the others on the mod team to come by and take a look, but it appears to me that that spot is really the beginning of a color change on Jack. :rofl

Note how similar in color that spot looks to the yellow/orange elsewhere on his body.

I would like to stop the Melafix, as I think you have derived all the goodness you can from it already. :)

You know, as I was taking the pictures, I thought to myself, "Hmmmmm, is Jack's wen changing color?" I then looked at the other colors in his body and could see similar colors. So, I think you are onto something there... :thumbup2:

It's just so weird to have the color change come on several days after he acquired the loose scale so close to that spot. :)

I just saw that you posted this, and I agree. :)

:thumbs:

You know, as I was taking the pictures, I thought to myself, "Hmmmmm, is Jack's wen changing color?" I then looked at the other colors in his body and could see similar colors. So, I think you are onto something there... :thumbup2:

It's just so weird to have the color change come on several days after he acquired the loose scale so close to that spot. :)

:rofl :rofl :rofl

I already had this thought days ago, but when it comes to wen, I am extra cautious, because they can be so problematic sometimes. That's why the Melafix. I figured the Melafix will go a long in terms to helping all external issues anyway, so it's a win-win. :)

Happy to see it was just a colour change, I laughed my but off when you mentioned ODing on marimo lolol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk