Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BeginAgain

Will the Bubbles Grow?

I got a little bubble eye cross mutt thing. I don't even know what to call her, name or describing, so here she is:

2i9pl5s.jpg

xm3445.jpg

She's in a semi-opaque container and it's a bad phone camera so sorry for the bad pics. (Yes that is a tiny little shark fin on her back)

I usually hate bubble eyes but this little thing just sorta wobbled in so, she came home.

Do bubble eye's bubble grow a lot or stay relatively proportionate to body size? And do you think she's a mutt or just an bubble eye with a tiny fin?

Looks like she may have been picked on or just lost it due to bad conditions. Kinda hard to see. I had a comet that lost his dorsel and he grew it back. Im not to familar with bubble eyes but i just got a resue one in and his eyes are proportionate to the rest of him and hes abour 6-7 inchs

Looks like she may have been picked on or just lost it due to bad conditions. Kinda hard to see. I had a comet that lost his dorsel and he grew it back. Im not to familar with bubble eyes but i just got a resue one in and his eyes are proportionate to the rest of him and hes abour 6-7 inchs

Bubble eyes aren't suppose to have dorsals. ;) it looks like it will stay that way and it's super cool too! And yours isn't a bubble eye. You rescued a redcap Oranda and a (calico?) telescope. Not a bubble eye.

I had it confused with telescope goldfish :) Anywhoo doesnt matter

She definitely has bubbles. It's hard to see in the picture but it isn't telescope. The eyes don't bulge outwards there are just little sacs underneath her eyes and her eyes point upwards not out.

She definitely has bubbles. It's hard to see in the picture but it isn't telescope. The eyes don't bulge outwards there are just little sacs underneath her eyes and her eyes point upwards not out.

I know :) I was explaining to Goldie. ;)

I'm sure your new fish will grow big and beautiful, even if the bubbles stay the same size. I have a feeling that they will grow just like any other bubble eye's, though, but nobody can foresee the future.

Good luck with this cutie. :)

Of course he can grow to some extent if you feed him well enough. If you aim for 0.5-1% of body weight in food, I'm sure you can get some good growth. It'll come in handy to have a kitchen scale that weighs in grams so you can find out how much he weighs and monitor if he gains anything during the regimen. If he is in QT right now it'll be a great time to start, since he is the only fish in the tank and will be getting all the food without worrying about other fish eating his portions. Here's some threads that'll give more information on this:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/105915-food-weights-by-brand/

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/112936-weighing-fishfood/

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/110314-best-diet-to-fatten-up-skinny-goldies/

Just make sure you ease him into it, and don't feed all at once or you'll overload his digestive system. If you spread his feedings in small increments throughout the day (4-6 feedings) you'll get even better growth.

Food isn't always the main component to growth. Clean water, adequate space, and general good husbandry also go hand in hand with growing, healthy goldfish. :)

It is for sure a bubble eye. Normally ones with bumps in the back or dorsals are culled. But just because it has a funny back doesn't mean it can't make a good pet :) it looks very young to me and the bubbles will most likely grow with age like any other bubble eye. Make sure to cover your

Filter intakes when keeping this fish and have no decor with sharp or pointed edges.

Ya I'll have to stick to silk or live plants for this little guy. She's learned to come to the side for food but still can't see black worms so she doesn't get those until she can learn to eat from my hand.

The best thing to do is have pristine water conditions and give it time. Thebubbles should grow back. They may be off balance for awhile (one bigger than the other), but with TLC and patience, she can turn into a beauty. Do you have updated pictures?

It is for sure a bubble eye. Normally ones with bumps in the back or dorsals are culled. But just because it has a funny back doesn't mean it can't make a good pet :) it looks very young to me and the bubbles will most likely grow with age like any other bubble eye. Make sure to cover your

Filter intakes when keeping this fish and have no decor with sharp or pointed edges.

Yes, ones with bumpy backs, spikes, or dorsals are usually culled. Luckily, whatever farm your new baby came from missed her dorsal spike. She could be used for breeding (a white strain of bubble eyes...how beautiful!), but she could not be shown. If you do breed her (or him) make sure the mate has a smooth back. And yes, I will take ten fry, thank you ^.^

What a cute fish! Congratulations! Good food, clean water, and patience will help her grow to her personal best. :)

I have decided Bono is a he. And I do not plan on breeding goldies however with 1 girl and I think two boys, it isn't far fetched to think I'll end up with some, most likely orandas unless Bono can catch up but he isn't the best swimmer :teehee I love his little spikey sharky fin thing. It gives personality :) This is one of my favorites, I think it's entered in PoTW:2prwcye.jpgHe's my grumpy old man

Thanks :) He's a big ham really, the others like to hang out underneath this big plant I have and he prefers to stay and swim around the open space, not nibble on roots. And he has finally started to learn to actually wait for the flakes to sink (I swish them around so they do) and not attack them right after my hands lets them go. And he's figured out that gulping at the surface for food when the flakes are settling on the bottom gets him nothing.

Awwww, he is such a little cutie :wub:

He's adorable! I just live his little bubbles. :)

A dorsal fin in a bubble eye is considered a defect ... but my fish all have defects of some kind and the way I see it is that it doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't make life harder for them! Most of the bubble eyes found in the pet stores around me have smaller bubbles than the ones you see on the more expensive websites. They are actually one of my favorite varieties of goldfish.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I like little bubbles, I usually hate bubble eyes but he has a lumpy back, shark fin, yellow bubbles with a white body and a face only a mother could love and I do love it. I like it best when the bubbles don't wobble too much but they are starting to grow one me :wall I think I'm stuck. Ah goldfish. Can't help but love them.

The smaller bubbles are usually called "Frog Eyes".

Kingyo! :rofl

Kingyo! :rofl

:pp

I know this is a bit late but in case it comes up again -

Frog head goldfish also have a longer, rounder body shape like a shukin, head growth, wider/longer fins, and are a different group of fish. What I mean by this is that a bubble eye with small bubbles does not a frog head make. Just like a ranchu with a bad back doesn't make it a lionhead.

There are two classes of bubble eyes - Those without dorsals, and those with. These days you almost never see them with dorsals, but in China, that used to be par for the course. Yours has a spike, which is different, and usually grounds for culling.

Also - Your bubble eyed shark will grow! He will grow tons and tons and get huge if he has clean water and good food. What a strange and cute little fish he is. The article I wrote on bubble eyes in the research section may be of help to you.