Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fallon254

Wen ulcer? :(

Posting pics first, then testing my water and filling out the questionnaire. I just noticed it this morning

utejugar.jpg

e9uzare4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fallon, is there any chance you could get a clearer, closer picture too? Perhaps you could even hold the fish out of the water while someone else takes the picture?

• Test Results for the Following:

• * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 25
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)0
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)0
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.8
    • Other Required Info:

• * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops kit
      • * Water temperature? 72
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallons 1 month (brought old filter and media)
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aquaclear 70 and Fluval 206
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 1X per week 80%

• * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? Tuesday 50%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 orandas 4.5 inches, and 4 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Repashy and API pellets 2 x per day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? No
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Salt a few weeks ago to help with bacterial red spots.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Large white area beneath wen
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Seems fine other than the huge white spot beneath his wen
Edited by Fallon254

Hope your Goldfish feels better.

Thanks, I figured a mod would be on to help. If it is an ulcer I don't want to lose him. I have meds maybe I just start him on them tonight

Please don't start any meds until you're advised to do so.

I hope it's nothing serious. :hug

Hello,

I'm sorry we were a little slow in responding to the thread. It was a very crazy week.

In any case, this is what I have been taught by people who have raised a lot of fish with wen. If it's white, leave it alone. Consider treating only when there is red.

There most definitely is something in the wen of your beautiful fish, but from what I have learned, it is not something that needs to be treated. However, it would be good to have things like Metro-Meds, Medi-Gold, and possibly OXolinic acid on hand.

Alternatively, you could try to treat now, and if is that what you want to do, I will help.

Ok thanks! I saw it was a busy day on D&D and thought no one saw the post.

Good thing no one bought my meds I just posted!

Ok so white is not usually an ulcer, if it opens up though? Then we would do something. What is it usually?

Ok thanks! I saw it was a busy day on D&D and thought no one saw the post.

Good thing no one bought my meds I just posted!

Ok so white is not usually an ulcer, if it opens up though? Then we would do something. What is it usually?

It's likely an infection of some sort, although the conventional wisdom is that unless it's red, leave it for the fish to deal with. The reason is that low grade infections occur all the time on wens, and may even be a part of why the wen grow larger.

If it opens up (ulcerates), we will treat immediately.

This is getting embarrassing. Now there's something on Cash's wen :( I'm not sure if its an ulcer forming or..., anchor worm since my husbands fish had it perhaps I somehow transferred to my tank? Whatever it is has not yet broken through. It looks like a pimple fixing to pop

utaryhur.jpgdavegusu.jpg

Sorry those are horrible, here's a couple better shotsemuna7ab.jpgu8a9u5eg.jpg

Those things look to be the same thing. I can rule out anchor worm, because I do not believe the wen is a hospitable place for them, normally.

It's the middle of winter, and these things happen way more than we keepers of fish with wen would ever want. Just keep a watch. Salt to 0.1% if you like. :)

Ok thank you. Ill keep you posted

That's very normal. Don't lose sleep over them

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Thank you again! It seems better today. I'm hoping just wen growth. I've never had fish this long and I want them to stay healthy

vu2y6y8e.jpg

The spot that was white is now red. Is it still ok?

On the caudal fin? Red is usually not something we want.

No, that spot has been there for a long time. The white spot inside his wen has turned red

Edited by Fallon254

8evuzu5e.jpg

Can you see in this pic?

Did you tell me what meds you have on hand? I would also like to use Melafix, I think.

Still looking ok to me. I wouldn't do anything at the moment or not ever need to treat. That's normal on fish with head growth.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I have metro meds and medi gold and pro form la for anchor woms. I'll have to see if I have any melafix. I am rethinking another fish with Wen. This is stressing me out!!

the same thing happened to my lemonhead a few months back.i totally understand your discomfort over the situation.his ended up clearing on its own.just keep an eye on it.best of luck.

I have metro meds and medi gold and pro form la for anchor woms. I'll have to see if I have any melafix. I am rethinking another fish with Wen. This is stressing me out!!

Thank you for reminding me! :)

Since Jeff breeds and raises many many wen fish, I would like to lean in favor of his assessment, and wait for a while at least. :)