Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Abyss

20g/fish juvies?

I just got my new to me 130g and going to be transferring my 3 fish to the tank tomorrow with established media, I'm wanting to unload some of my smaller tanks. I have some 2 month old juvies that are currently around a little over an inch in size.

I'm wondering if I should move them into the adult tank after the mini-cycle or should I keep them in my smaller grow out tank. I won't be giving them/selling until they are a little older, I'd like to see more of their features as they get a bit older so I can pick my favorite 2.

I'm guessing the 20g per fish rule doesn't apply to juveniles? The tank is massive so I still think they would have decent room with my adults. What do you think?u4umy6yb.jpgu7ymezy8.jpgde4u9yty.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Edited by Abyss

You are correct. Go ahead and do it :)

Wow! That is a nice, big tank! Your fish are you to absolutely LOVE it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How many fry do you have?

I put my fry into my main tank at a smaller size than that, and they were okay, but you should add them slowly, and watch them as they swim around the tank. A good size tank like that might have some nice current in it, and you don't want them to blow around like in a snow globe. If you're adding a large number of fish, watch your tank for a cycle spike.

I have 5 or the larger ones, they are in a 25g long atm with a crazy current in it already because I put an ac50 and an API50-100 in there for the extra filtration, it took them a few days to adjust to that in sure the current wont be too bad for them because I'm just going to be using a fluval 404 and a ac110. One on each side of the tank so hopefully it won't be that bad. I'm going to add the 3 adults with my pleco, then wait a week and put the 5 big ones in there. I plan to keep only 2 babies later on when they get to be 5-6months, so ill have -2fish for the 20g/fish anyways

They are currently overstocked in a 29g, and I'm doing 2x weekly WC of 80-90%, which is getting annoying cuz I'm a stay at home mom with a 1 yr old who want to grab my fish stuff all the time lately. I'm

Hoping with this new tank ill be able to get away with a 50% WC weekly and do it in the weekend and just test the water during the week.

Thanks for the advice yafashelli I will def. keep my eyes on the littles once I put them in.

Edited by Abyss

Ill post a pic once I have the tank set up later today :)

I don't see why you couldn't add five fry. :) They turn into monsters pretty quickly, so look out! :rofl3

I personally wouldn't add them to that tank. I water pressure from a tank that big kinda slows down their growth. I tried it with some fry in my 180 and they didn't grow at all for a year. I thought they were stunted until I gave them to a friend.

I personally wouldn't add them to that tank. I water pressure from a tank that big kinda slows down their growth. I tried it with some fry in my 180 and they didn't grow at all for a year. I thought they were stunted until I gave them to a friend.

That's interesting. Would it be the same for pond raised fry?

That was exactly what they were. My friend had a few pond raised fry around two months old. They were fancies. Ranchus to be precise if that would change anything. I kept them for the winter and then just kept them lol until the move. They have grown more in the 2 months he has had them back than the 10 I had them.

Hmm that's something to consider I guess. Maybe ill wait till they are 4 months

Edited by Abyss

What are your fry? Telescopes? I do think water

Depth has a bit to do with growth. Like how you raise the fry in about 5" of water and then slowly increase the depth. How many babies and how big are they now?

5 large fry 2 months old, ~1" maybe slightly more

I think they are good in the 29 for now. I kept my ranchu babies in a shallow 50 gal until they were 6 months old and they are not stunted and grew fine. Test the water to see if it needs it more than once a week. I just did 1 large 90% change a week and had good filtration.

I do twice a week actually for the 25g meant to say 25g long but mistyped. Ill just wait till they are larger :) ty