Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jolly

Bottom Sitting-Black moor

Is it normal for them to act a little weird when they get put back into the medicated tank? Just did the 100% WC for Day 3 of the quarantine tank and when we put her back into the water, she darted around quite a bit and was hanging out in one corner for a while (30 minutes). She seems to be acting more and more normal as time goes on but I just want to make sure that behavior was normal...

Medications in the water can be uncomfortable for fish and cause them to react that way. Since you're only on day 3, I'd say it's still pretty new (and probably yucky) for her. If all goes well, she should slowly come around and be back to herself. :nana

Jolly, I notice that you did not post your tap ph in your first post. You'll want to make sure that when you do a water change that the ph difference is no more than 0.5. If it is that will irritate your fish. If there is a difference >0.5 ph between tap and qt, then let us know so we can give you info on how to handle this.

Jolly, I notice that you did not post your tap ph in your first post. You'll want to make sure that when you do a water change that the ph difference is no more than 0.5. If it is that will irritate your fish. If there is a difference >0.5 ph between tap and qt, then let us know so we can give you info on how to handle this.

I'll see if I can test the water tonight but there has never been a significant difference between our tap and the tank, so hopefully there still isn't...

Update tonight. Added a double dose of Prime to the water (Day 4 of the QT). She seems a bit lethargic today but may just be sleeping. She isn't used to being in the dark so much. She is bottom sitting a little more than yesterday. :( There is a lot of poo in there...maybe we are feeding her too much. Might go a little less tonight just so the water doesn't get too dirty. I may try to take a bit of that out tonight if I can just in case and check the water quality.

With the number of WC you do in qt, I would think the ph really doesn't differ. But just eliminating something that may be irritating.

How goes, Holly? Sorry I was absent the last couple of days.

It's not unusual for a fluke-affected fish to act that way when you treat with the first round after a long time. She should visibly perk up as time goes by.

Also, it's a very very good idea to cut back on the food for now. :)

How goes, Holly? Sorry I was absent the last couple of days.

It's not unusual for a fluke-affected fish to act that way when you treat with the first round after a long time. She should visibly perk up as time goes by.

Also, it's a very very good idea to cut back on the food for now. :)

Its ok. :) Good to hear that she is behaving normally. I was worried the bottom sitting might indicate she was feeling worse, not better. :( So worried about her. We did a tiny water change just to get some of the waste out of the water tonight and will do the 100% change tomorrow as planned. I will lighten up her feeding for a bit. At least she is still eating and hungry. :) I'll post an update tomorrow.

How are things going, Holly?

Update for today: She is actually swimming around the QT tank right now--this is the first time I've seen her this active and "normal" seeming since we put her in. I hope that continues! :) We did the WC yesterday and added just Maracyn-Two and cut back on feeding a bit. Added Prime today and will do WC tomorrow night. I'll try to post a video if she'll let me tape her tomorrow. :)

One quick question I just remembered. For Round 2 in the QT, should we just use one packet of Maracyn-Two when we add it (instead of the 2 it suggests for Day 1 of treatment)? We added 2 packets twice for week 1, and then just one last night when we changed the water and she seems to be handling it much better. I don't want to mess it up though.

Update: She has had a couple good days and seems much more active. Today, we restart the QT schedule though and do another dose of Prazi so we'll see how that goes. We haven't been feeding her as much, but I don't know if I've ever seen this much poo! Lol. If she was constipated she isn't now! :) I will post another update soon and hopefully a video. Its been a crazy couple days! :)

Woot! :)

Hey. The last couple days she has seemed to be getting better and better. Tonight though she seemed a little lethargic and then a couple minutes ago out of the blue (at least I hope she has not been doing this all day--we were at work until an hour ago) she started jumping out of the water. She finally hit the tank lid after doing it several times within a minute and then swam to the bottom. She seems agitated. We added Prime per the QT schedule. (There is Maracyn-Two and Prime in the water.) We are trying to get a video...

Any idea how we can fix the problem or help her??? I'm worried. :(

She seems to be rubbing against the plant we have in there and going up to the top every few moments. Not sure what is causing this. Temperature hasn't changed. We did a 100% WC yesterday so the water quality should still be ok. Wondering if I shouldn't do a small water change just to see if it helps...

Here is a video.

She is calming down a bit but still acting weird and going to the top every now and then.

Check the pH and all your parameters please. Then, do a 100% WC. There may be something in the water.

Hey. Don't have much time before work but I'll get back on tonight. Checked the pH and it seems normal (will recheck again tonight just in case). I'll check the others too. We did a 100% water change just now. Even though its a Maracyn-Two day, we're going to see if she's better in just normal water for a little bit and add the medicine tonight after we can observe her for a bit.

We have been noticing a white slimy coating on the walls of the QT tank and some free floating clear things (not moving on their own as far as I can tell) in the water. I don't see these in the main tank which has the same water in it (recently did the WC and second Prazi dose in that). Could that be something causing the problems? We have seen it before every water change in the QT tank but thought it was just a side effect of the medicine or something. You can see it in the video we posted above.

Hoping she has a calmer evening and night today. I'll post updates tonight after I can test the water better. I know Prime can mess with the test results for something but I can't remember which one.

Ok. Just tested various water samples for about an hour. Phew! Here are the results.

QT tank (10 gallon):

Temp: 73-75F

pH: 7.8

Ammonia: 0.25-0.50 ppm (may be due to Prime being added today?)

Nitrites: 0 ppm

Nitrates: 5-10 ppm

Main Tank (27 gallon):

Temp: 77F

pH: 7.6-7.8

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrites: 0 ppm

Nitrates: 50-60 ppm (may have been messed up? Did a 90% WC on 2/2)

I also tested the tap pH: 7.6-7.8

pH tests were kinda hard to read but they all looked like the same shade in the range from 7.6-7.8 (including the tap).

Any thoughts on whether we should add the Maracyn-Two dose tonight? I think its P-body's last one (I hope!). She seems a bit calmer tonight. :)

Leave it out. :)

I think we are done with meds. :D

Will you keep us updated at least over the next several days to make sure that she does well?

Ok. Should we keep her in the QT tank for a few more days or move her back to the main tank? I'll definitely keep you updated. Any thoughts as to why she was behaving so weird last night? Also, I'm a bit worried about how Atlas will be with her when we put her back. I like to think he misses her but in reality I think he likes not having to share food. Lol. Anything special we should do to add her back in?

Ok. Should we keep her in the QT tank for a few more days or move her back to the main tank? I'll definitely keep you updated. Any thoughts as to why she was behaving so weird last night? Also, I'm a bit worried about how Atlas will be with her when we put her back. I like to think he misses her but in reality I think he likes not having to share food. Lol. Anything special we should do to add her back in?

Yes, please do keep her in QT for at least the next 2-3 days, until we are sure she won't be jumping like that again. :)

I really can't tell you why exactly she did what she did, other than that the experience of the forum has been that when a fish jumps, something in the water is not agreeable. Usually, this involves a pH crash. Another thought might be stray currents, but that's far less likely.

Yes, please do keep her in QT for at least the next 2-3 days, until we are sure she won't be jumping like that again. :)

I really can't tell you why exactly she did what she did, other than that the experience of the forum has been that when a fish jumps, something in the water is not agreeable. Usually, this involves a pH crash. Another thought might be stray currents, but that's far less likely.

Ok. I will keep you posted. We will probably do another good water change tomorrow or the next day to make sure the water stays ok in there. :) I was hoping she wasn't making "jumping" a habit...lol. I'll keep an eye on the water parameters just in case and post when I can. Thanks!

Update! She seems to be swimming around like her old self and eating normally too. :) I haven't seen her jumping or trying to "eat bubbles" for the last two days either. YAY! When should we add her back in? My plan is to do a large water change in the main tank to get bring the salt level back down in the next couple days and then put her back in if you think its ok to do so now. Do I need to do any more Prazi round in the main tank? We did 2 so far. I really hope they get along still... :)

Let's do one round in the tank for them together. :)