Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jolly

Bottom Sitting-Black moor

She almost looks like she is having trouble breathing a little too, like her gills are irritated.

I think if you can, remove her to the 10 and do Maracyn 2 and prazi, while the main tank gets 0.1% salt and prazi.

Change the QT water completely every 2 days, and Prime every day. The Maracyn should be about 6-10 days, while prazi should be as before.

Have you tried soaking your pellets first? One thing I noticed was when i fed my Goldie's air was stuck on them. Also personally I would remove the bridge all together and if current is a issue you could dampen the filter. Being that she does have her perky moments is a good sign but the nitrates could be effecting her.

I soak all their food before we give it to them. :) And the bridge has been removed since last night.

She almost looks like she is having trouble breathing a little too, like her gills are irritated.

I think if you can, remove her to the 10 and do Maracyn 2 and prazi, while the main tank gets 0.1% salt and prazi.

Change the QT water completely every 2 days, and Prime every day. The Maracyn should be about 6-10 days, while prazi should be as before.

Any chance we could start with Prazi and salt in the main tank and see if it helps? I've never set up a quarantine tank...will the Maracyn 2 kill my small filter's cycle? Also how much salt do I use to get it to 0.1%? (Surely not 27 tsps?) What is the schedule for the Prazi?

The Maracyn will kill your cycle, which is why we have to do it in QT, with only airstone.

You can certainly do salt and prazi only, but my concern is that at this stage, there will be secondary infections. Hence the Maracyn.

Goldie, if air was stuck in her, she would be floating; not bottom sitting. Also, please don't advise treatment unless a mod says too. Alex didn't say whether or not to treat them both with Prazi.

being that what was posted earlier that there was a few small bubbles in her poop it is a possibility. If she had a large amount of gas than yes floating but a lil could mean a lil irritation to the belly. Just my two cents

The Maracyn will kill your cycle, which is why we have to do it in QT, with only airstone.

You can certainly do salt and prazi only, but my concern is that at this stage, there will be secondary infections. Hence the Maracyn.

So...just put an airstone in the quarantine tank? No filter? I should probably use tank water to fill the quarantine tank? How much salt and Prazi do I use for each tank?

Just because there are a few bubbles in the poop doesn't mean the fish will float. I see bubbles in my fish poop occasionally and they aren't acting weird.

Sometimes there is just air in them. But air makes them float, not sink. It's just common sense there.

For main tank, do large WC before adding salt and prazi. Follow the instructions for dosage, which is 1 teaspoon for every 20 gallons. Repeat next week with WC, salt and prazi

The QT will be like this:

- day 1: 100% WC, add prime, Maracyn and prazi

- 2: prime

- 3: repeat day 1

- 4: prime

- 5: 100% WC, prime and Maracyn, but no prazi

- 6: prime

- 7: repeat day 5

- 8: prime. This is the end of one round.

- 9: repeat day 1, and go from there until you reach end of another round. :)

Just because there are a few bubbles in the poop doesn't mean the fish will float. I see bubbles in my fish poop occasionally and they aren't acting weird.

Sometimes there is just air in them. But air makes them float, not sink. It's just common sense there.

I just made this point so I'm confused. A lil gas could cause a irritation to them but not make them float. If they are not feeling well they would lay down due to stress. Anyways no need to debate this here as that's what this topic is not about Edited by GoldieLover

I just made this point so I'm confused. A lil gas could cause a irritation to them but not make them float. If they are not feeling well they would lay down due to stress.
No, you didn't make that point. You just said the fish would have irritation which I don't even think they would with a little air in them. And yes, her fish already isn't feeling well so of course it's lying down. It's not due to the air that was in the poop as to why her fish is bottom sitting.

So--I looked in the Maracyn 2 box and I only have two packets (which according to the back of the box isn't enough for a full dose--2 first day, one packet per day for days 2-5). I can start the dose and try to find some more at PetSmart tomorrow.

I want to make sure I get everything straight:

For the quarantine tank--I use 10 gallons of Primed water and put just a bubbler in (no filter). To salt to 0.1% in a ten gallon tank, I add 1 tsp of salt (dissolve in hot water and let cool and pour in right?). I use Prazi (per dose instructions) and add one packet of Maracyn 2 tonight

For the main tank:

I did a water change today at 80% (is that good enough?), add salt and Prazi (how much salt--27 tsps?). Wait one week--do as big of a water change as I can and repeat adding salt and Prazi.

I just made this point so I'm confused. A lil gas could cause a irritation to them but not make them float. If they are not feeling well they would lay down due to stress.

Really? Could you tell me where you get this? But if we are moving too far away from helping the OP, then feel free to start a new discussion, or PM me. I would like to keep the thread free from distractions, unless the OP specifically requests that those points be addressed.

Thank you. :)

Again not debating this here you have ur views aswell as I have mine in speculations. Neither of us is right or wrong as we don't know. Back on topic now please

So--I looked in the Maracyn 2 box and I only have two packets (which according to the back of the box isn't enough for a full dose--2 first day, one packet per day for days 2-5). I can start the dose and try to find some more at PetSmart tomorrow.

For the quarantine tank--I use 10 gallons of Primed water and put just a bubbler in (no filter). To salt to 0.1% in a ten gallon tank, I add 1 tsp of salt (dissolve in hot water and let cool and pour in right?). I use Prazi (per dose instructions) and add one packet of Maracyn 2 tonight

For the main tank:

I did a water change today at 80% (is that good enough?), add salt and Prazi (how much salt--27 tsps?). Wait one week--do as big of a water change as I can and repeat adding salt and Prazi.

- no salt in the QT. The Maracyn takes the place of salt.

- add Maracyn only in the amount that you are told to add for the first day, and then when you've done the 100% WCs, add the same amount again on day 3.

- yes, 27 level teaspoons salt for the main tank. :)

Really? Could you tell me where you get this? But if we are moving too far away from helping the OP, then feel free to start a new discussion, or PM me. I would like to keep the thread free from distractions, unless the OP specifically requests that those points be addressed.

Thank you. :)

Sent you a pm on the theory :)

I hope for the best, Holly!

Edited by Mikey

For the main tank:

- no salt in the QT. The Maracyn takes the place of salt.

- add Maracyn only in the amount that you are told to add for the first day, and then when you've done the 100% WCs, add the same amount again on day 3.

- yes, 27 level teaspoons salt for the main tank. :)

Ok. That is a lot of salt! :) Would it be ok to Prazi and salt the main tank tonight with them both in there and then wait to move her until I see if I can get more Maracyn-Two? I am not sure I can get it tomorrow (I will run by the petstore but its not something they always keep in stock) and don't want to start that and not get a full dose in. I realize that might screw up the Prazi if I move her to the quarantine, but is that doable?

You can try, but do try to get the Maracyn ASAP. :)

You can try, but do try to get the Maracyn ASAP. :)

Ok. I will try to get it tomorrow and let you know asap. I will do salt and Prazi tonight and then keep you posted about what I can find tomorrow. If I can get a hold of it I will get a quarantine tank up and running tomorrow night as soon as I'm off work so we can get the Maracyn-Two started. Thanks!!! I've been SO worried about her all night. :(

Good luck!

Ok. When we added the salt and Prazi to the main tank last night she perked up quite a bit and was swimming around and pretty energetic. This morning, though, she was bottom sitting again. :( Josh was able to get some more Maracyn 2 so we now have enough for the full schedule you posted. I will get the hospital tank set up as soon as I get off work tonight and get it moving. We have an old air pump and airline and I think a bubbler (will that probably be enough bubbles or should I shoot for more?). Since we dosed the Prazi, should I just dose the Prazi for the 10 gallon and put Maracyn-Two in and then add P-body to the quarantine tank? I don't want to mess up the Prazi dose. I will use fresh Primed water (temperature matched) in the quarantine tank but not pull old tank water so as not to mess with the salt.

So...to make that more clear:

-Do I need more bubbles than one airstone/bubbler?

-Should I dose the quarantine tank with Prazi and Maracyn-Two and then add Pbody to it tonight?

i cant comment on the medicine but i wouldnt think another airstone would hurt. Is it just ur average smaller airstone or what size is in there now?

i cant comment on the medicine but i wouldnt think another airstone would hurt. Is it just ur average smaller airstone or what size is in there now?

Its just a little round disc bubbler. I'm nervous about not having good filtration in the quarantine but with just her in there it should be ok. Just don't want to mess up if I can keep from it. :) Setting up the quarantine tank now since I finally got off work. She still looks kinda "off"...bottom sitting and going up to the top for air. :(

Hey. Almost got the quarantine tank up and running. Have a decent airstone in there to bubble. I've got enough Maracyn-Two and Prazi. My thinking is if I dose the 10 gallon QT tank with Prazi for 10 gallon it will be the same as what is in the main tank at the moment and shouldn't hurt her. Is that good thinking? I won't move her or add meds until I hear back from you just in case. So far all we have in the QT tank is Prime and water and a bubbler.

It got really late last night and we went ahead and started following the schedule you gave us dnalex. She is in the quarantine tank and we dosed the water with PraziPro and 2 packets (DAY 1 dose according to the box) of Maracyn-Two. We added a dose of Prime today. Tomorrow, we'll do a 100% WC and then add another 2 packets of Maracyn-Two (as long as that's right). She seems to be doing ok so far and slightly more energetic. She is still eating ok too. Atlas seems a bit lonely if that's possible and keeps swimming around looking for her but otherwise seems good. :( I'll keep following the schedule and post updates. Let me know if there is anything else I should do. :)

Edited by Jolly