Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jolly

Bottom Sitting-Black moor

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0 ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0 ppm
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 40-50 ppm
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) Can't test tap at the moment-water has a chemical in it that started in WV and moved this way (will test as soon as its deemed safe to--hopefully less than a week away.)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.3
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Drop Kit
      • * Water temperature? 76.1 F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 27 gallons (They have been in new tank since April 2013)
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Aqueon 50 and Aqueon 70 both running all the time
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? We do at least 2 50-60% water changes per month and several smaller ones if needed in between.
      • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 1/17/14 (last Friday), About 50%
      • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fish-1 fancy (orange-Atlas), 1 black moor (black-Pbody)
      • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime
      • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Once a night (Repashy Solient green cube (several times a week), Hikari Fancy Goldfish Sinking pellets (2 pinches-soaked before put into the tank)
      • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
      • * Any medications added to the tank? No
      • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Both fish were quarantined when we first got them and I did a full round of Prazi on them. Salt has been used too but its been a while and I don't remember why.
      • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Nope
      • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? The black moor is acting very lethargic, possibly bottom sitting. Her poop is also stringy and kind of bubbly.

Hi! Its been a while since I've had to post. I think my black moor (Pbody--guessed that she is a "she"--not sure) is having troubles. She has been bottom sitting (I think--video below to show her behavior so you can confirm that is what it is) and just acting rather lethargic. When she does swim around, she tends to "eat bubbles" or swim to the top and get some "air" and go to the bottom until the bubble comes out and then goes back for more. (This is in one of the videos.) As soon as I decided to post, she is swimming around like crazy though. She will have days when she is fine and then go back to sitting for a day or two and so on. I think it might be food-related. She seems to be able to swim just fine though, so maybe it is constipation? I'm going to try feeding her some peas tonight and see if that helps. Just want to know if there is anything else I can and should be doing to help her out. Atlas (orange fancy) seems to be fine and swims around like normal. He does seem to miss his swimming buddy when she is sitting on the bottom all day though. :( The only other thing that is new is that we added a bridge and tiki ornament to give them some where to hide after Christmas. They both loved it and I think it gives Pbody a safe place to get out of the current for a bit if she wants, but wondering if that is what is leading to her sitting periods. I really want to do a water change to get my nitrates down but can't until the water is given the ok (hopefully just a couple more days). I don't want to expose them to some weird chemical. Videos are below. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks! *Holly and Josh*

My Setup

What she is doing (of course she started moving when I tried to video her...)

Another one (stayed farther back this time)

Yes, that is bottom sitting. When you can, please fill out the tap levels. Also, up your water changes to 75-90% weekly after it is safe to use the water; your nitrates are too high, and you have Aquaclear filters. :P not Aqueon. ;) and clarifying, 500GPH in total.

How are they set up, do they have carbon in them?

Your tank looks awesome, but maybe there are too many decorations? That is just my opinion. Would you be able to possibly get a clearer video and some clear pictures of him in a separate container as well, please?

Yes, that is bottom sitting. When you can, please fill out the tap levels. Also, up your water changes to 75-90% weekly after it is safe to use the water; your nitrates are too high, and you have Aquaclear filters. :P not Aqueon. ;) and clarifying, 500GPH in total.

How are they set up, do they have carbon in them?

Your tank looks awesome, but maybe there are too many decorations? That is just my opinion. Would you be able to possibly get a clearer video and some clear pictures of him in a separate container as well, please?

They don't have carbon in them. We just use extra sponges to fill in instead of the carbon. You're right though that they are Aquaclear filters. I can try to get a better video but all I have to use is my phone so the quality will probably not be much better. I'll see if I can get her into the breeder box later while we feed her peas and post if that works. Why do you think she's bottom sitting?

What about like a bowl? That would be better to use so you can take her out if the tank and into better lighting. :)

It could be high nitrates, but let's not jut jump to that conclusion. Others will be here to chime in and help soon! :)

Is she eating, Holly?

Are those ornaments hollow?

What does the poop look like?

Are the ornaments hollow?

Did you test your nitrates before the WC on Friday?

Is she eating, Holly?

Are those ornaments hollow?

What does the poop look like?

Hey! She has been eating pretty normally and still gets really excited over food. They are kinda hollow. I'll take a video showing them up close so you can see what you think. She did start doing it after we put those in I guess. :( Most of the poop I have seen has been normal but Pbody has had a few that are clearish and stringy (look like empty casts) with a few bubbles inside. Haven't given her the peas yet. Josh just got home to help me out so we are gonna feed them and see if I can get some better photos/video. He just took the bridge and tiki head out in case they were causing the problem. He didn't test the water before the change Friday--it was a last minute thing in preparation for the crazy chemical spill heading our way. Glad he got one in when he did at least! I'll post more soon.

Ok...here is a video of the ornaments. Took them out for the time being. Any suggestions on a way to put the bridge back in safely? Josh thought maybe we can fill it with sand and then use aquarium sealant to plug the holes. I thought it would be ok since it had airholes in the top too to allow circulation but I guess its not ok.

And here is a closer up video of her in case that helps. Got P-body to eat some peas and a couple pellets of normal food. Fed her separately in the breeder box so we could watch her and makes sure she got a decent amount of peas. Fed her 2-3 peas cut up in tiny pieces. Since we took the ornaments out they have both been swimming around. They both seem perkier but it could just be the food. I'll post an update tomorrow and watch for green poo! :)

Hello,

I hope there are big improvements by tomorrow. :)

First, regarding the ornament, these are definitely hollow, and as such, are thought to be areas that can run stagnant, and pose dangers to the fish. You can easily solve this problem by running an airline through it, to let air run though to generate current :)

How long ago was your prazi treatment? It might be time to do a maintenance dose.

This comes at a bad time, given the terrible water situation, but I think that they would benefit from a bit more frequent WCs.

Hello,

I hope there are big improvements by tomorrow. :)

First, regarding the ornament, these are definitely hollow, and as such, are thought to be areas that can run stagnant, and pose dangers to the fish. You can easily solve this problem by running an airline through it, to let air run though to generate current :)

How long ago was your prazi treatment? It might be time to do a maintenance dose.

This comes at a bad time, given the terrible water situation, but I think that they would benefit from a bit more frequent WCs.

I hope so too! :) I will see if we can find some extra airline sitting around. Would sealing it work too? Just curious. It has probably been over a year since they had Prazi ( I believe we got them around November 2012. Moved them into the new tank in April 2013...so it would have been in November 2012 I think.) What would a maintenance does entail? What water change schedule would you recommend? I am hoping to get more details on the water situation when I talk to my geologist friend (who has water testing access) Thursday morning. I just would rather be safe than sorry with it.

What about using bottled spring water (imported from outside your area) for WCs?

What about using bottled spring water (imported from outside your area) for WCs?

That might be a possibility. Going to see if I can get any info on this (water being ok or not) tomorrow. We could also maybe use our filtered drinking water as an extra precaution. Its testing below levels safe for humans but we don't breathe water. Lol. I wonder if Prime kills weird chemicals...

Morning/afternoon everyone.

Gave in and did a water change this afternoon because she was still just hanging out at the bottom and while I did see some green poo, it wasn't much. I did some research into the chemical and I think its at low enough levels or gone, so hopefully I am right. We did a 80% water change and cleaned off the ornaments, scraped the sides, and replaced one of the filter sponges to try to help. Left some ornaments out too. Atlas seems much happier, but Pbody is still bottom sitting and pretty lethargic. She only moves every now and then to go to the surface and gulp a bubble or two. I am hoping the cleaner water will help but I guess I will find out tonight after work. She seems to be a little tilty and off balance (could still be constipated I guess?).

What should we do next? Also, I found Prazi, so we still have that if that might help. I also have salt.

That filter sponge you took out contains beneficial bacteria that help to break down ammonia and nitrites. Can you retrieve it and put it in a bowl of tank water (barely cover the sponge)? Alex and other mods will give advice about whether to keep it, but by removing it you may be risking a cycle bump (i.e., more ammonia and nitrites than you want).

We have three other sponges in the filters still. It was on schedule to change one out anyway. I'll test water tomorrow to make sure there's no bump but I haven't had a bump from doing that in a long time. :)

She is still bottom sitting pretty bad. She responds when I go over to the tank but its obvious that something is wrong. :( Since we just changed almost all the water, should I try a Prazi dose and see if that helps? Do I just follow the directions on the bottle? (My tank is 27 gallons.) Do I need to add salt too? I think the water is ok because Atlas seems to be perfectly fine too, so I can do more water changes as necessary.

This is how I like my Aquaclears set up.

Bottom the sponge

On top if the sponge the marineland blue/white cut out stuff

And then the ceramic media. And only change the sponges when they need to be (falling apart) and then rinse them every couple of weeks in a bucket filled with tank water.

What are your nitrates now?

Go ahead and give her 0.1% salt. What meds do you have on hand, Holly?

Go ahead and give her 0.1% salt. What meds do you have on hand, Holly?

Should I leave her in the main tank? Salt won't hurt Atlas right? I think the only medicine we have at the moment is the PraziPro (might some Maracyn 2 leftover somewhere) and canning salt. For the salt to 0.1%, how many tsps should I dissolve and add?

I can set up my old ten gallon and take one of the filters off the main tank if necessary but would rather avoid doing that...

I want to treat with Maracyn and prazi, but until we can have a guaranteed source of water for WCs, I don't think we can do this.

Certainly, we can't add the Maracyn to the main tank.

The salt will be fine for everyone. :)

She almost looks like she is having trouble breathing a little too, like her gills are irritated.

I want to treat with Maracyn and prazi, but until we can have a guaranteed source of water for WCs, I don't think we can do this.

Certainly, we can't add the Maracyn to the main tank.

The salt will be fine for everyone. :)

I think my water is ok now. Did an 80% change this morning and they both seem ok. City's website finally gave the all clear. So I have water. Prazi would be ok for Atlas too right? I could try that and then if we need to get some Maracyn I could move just her to the 10 gallon? (Maracyn is different than Maracyn 2 right?)

Have you tried soaking your pellets first? One thing I noticed was when i fed my Goldie's air was stuck on them. Also personally I would remove the bridge all together and if current is a issue you could dampen the filter. Being that she does have her perky moments is a good sign but the nitrates could be effecting her.

Edited by GoldieLover

Prazi would be fine for both of them

Goldie, if air was stuck in her, she would be floating; not bottom sitting. Also, please don't advise treatment unless a mod says too. Alex didn't say whether or not to treat them both with Prazi.

Edited by Mikey