Sign in to follow this  
FishWish

Nemo and Nola have babies!

181 posts in this topic

Virtually all fish have flukes. Treating with prazi doesn't completely eliminate flukes but it significantly reduces their numbers. I treat all my new fish with prazi in QT for about 4 weeks (following the schedule posted on this forum). I would recommend you treat your adults and your fry. Prazi is a very gentle medication that works on the fluke, not the fish. I treated my fry with prazi at 1 week. I think many people here treat at 2 weeks. :D

:rofl I thought of you today when I went to Petsmart and they had about 10+ 20 gallon longs . . . AND they were on sale. :rofl3

:wa I think you're trying to make me have a stroke!!! Apparently down here, the little 3 day ice storm delayed all of the trucks. You know we can't manage during a winter storm. This is no Grand Rapids. :rofl3

Whats up with the antibiotics on the newborns? Is this something I should be doing with my fry? I purchased my adults at the same time from a breeder. She said as long as I had new stuff and didnt mix them with other fish I wouldnt have any issues with parasites. My fry came from them. Should I be worried about parasites and deseases?

I was under the same impression. My fish spawned eggs in a tank being treated with prazi. But, that doesn't necessarily mean that all of the flukes were gone at that time...so I went ahead and completed round 1. Another round to follow soon.

Virtually all fish have flukes. Treating with prazi doesn't completely eliminate flukes but it significantly reduces their numbers. I treat all my new fish with prazi in QT for about 4 weeks (following the schedule posted on this forum). I would recommend you treat your adults and your fry. Prazi is a very gentle medication that works on the fluke, not the fish. I treated my fry with prazi at 1 week. I think many people here treat at 2 weeks. :D

Totally agreed. There is a thought to ponder though. Miss Fishwish had heard (I think it was her) from a breeder that the liquid is slighly oilier than the tablets/powder and it can cause some breathing issues with fry. Looking back on mine, I think there's some truth to it. I'd much rather treat thank not though.

Update…Fry @ 5 weeks…they are LOVING their 20 g long! :lisa: Lots of room to swim and grow!

I added a sponge filter and heater….and filled it up to the brim. The water change was so nice. I used a gravel vac with mesh over the tube and stuck my free hand in the tank to shoo away the one or two curious stinkers. But, compared to transferring 34 fry from one tub to another it was a breeze.

IMG_1849_zps4bfc6ba3.jpg

Hope you enjoy! :)

Edited by FishWish

Hope this works!

I don't know why it looks like double images…sorry!

Edited by FishWish

:thud. Look at all those fry!! I can't believe you have so many. :teehee

You are doing such a great job. They are getting so big. :flex:

WOW look at all those adorable speckles in the tank :D They are looking so great!!!

They are growing so fast! Great job! I'm curious to what the parents look like :)

I only have one problem with the vid... lt was too short :) they look great. I hope my new guy does that well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

They are growing so fast! Great job! I'm curious to what the parents look like :)

Hi Sebastian...they are in the picture at the bottom of my signature...I believe both to be fantails...but since they were sold from a Ryukin tank at Petsmart...out of the two Nola (orange & white) looks like she may be part Ryukin. Nemo...is long tailed and Nola, short.

I only have one problem with the vid... lt was too short :) they look great. I hope my new guy does that well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks! You are sweet. It's so hard to get good video b/c I can't zoom in enough!

WOW look at all those adorable speckles in the tank :D They are looking so great!!!

Thanks, Allie! :)

Edited by FishWish

How are they doing now that you're back? :nana

:rofl

They are doing great!! No casualties…always a good thing. And my perfect record continues! My Mom successfully fed them first bites. And, I did back to back water changes last night and this afternoon to get the ammonia back down. I absolutely can't wait until they are strong enough for a small HOB. Maybe it's just me, but this sponge filter is for the birds (not the fish)!! :rofl3 :rofl3

Their coloration is changing everyday. There are a few of the nacreous that are looking totally white…and the majority of the others are getting dark coloring on their fins…for simplicity I call them Calico…though I'm not exactly sure what they are. The metallics are a strong silver/bronze color.

I've got about 4 with spikes for dorsals. I'm not sure what to do with them. :idont Would it be bad to let me out in the creek that runs by my house??? They seem perfectly healthy…very strong swimmers. Poor fellas...

I'm glad to be back…but could have stayed in Chicago longer. :) As soon as I get the pics uploaded, I'll post some of the trip!

They have grown a lot and look adorable. :wub:

I had to smile when you said that comment about finding the twenty gallon and being so stoked. ha ha I get that way a lot when I go to the pet store to buy just about anything. The employee's that know me must think I'm odd. ha ha

When do you think you'll add an HOB? I'm thinking sooner than later for Waldo. These daily WCs need to be done. :peeka

They're growing up so fast!!!!!! :heart

Congrats! So cool:) Glad they did great while you were away. That must have been strssful.

Congrats! So cool:) Glad they did great while you were away. That must have been strssful.

Any longer and it would have been nearly impossible. They went one extra day without a w/c but got lots of TLC when I got home. :)

I'm hoping to get some new pics up this weekend. Fingers crossed!

Looking forward to it! I'm so happy for you. You've done a perfect job and it ain't easy.

With my 2 rescues I have right now and my sick ranchu, I have actually been able to let a couple batches of fry go. There is no way I was taking them on too. lol. Glad I got over that hurdle. I just can't watch. haha. Gotta say, I'm getting tired of picking eggs off plants.

Are your guys still spawning?

~~UPDATE~~ Fry @ 6 1/2 weeks!

IMG_1922_zpsb129343d.jpg

The fry are all happy campers. :nana I added a small HOB today (only 80 GPH) for the 20 long…figured it's a bit early, but the filter is small. They are handling it like champs so far. Sorry I'm so bad at getting good pics that actually have some perspective to them. I'll try a video in a few days. The tank doesn't have a background or any plants so it looks kind of sad. :(

Oh, almost forgot, I put one of the fry in the main tank with Mom and Dad just to see what would happen…didn't even have time to get a picture…Nemo was chasing and chomping. :yikes My 5 year old flipped out…then asked me later…"Mom, was that an emergency?" :teehee

Awe they are getting big!!!

Ahh!!! Sorry to hear about the other little one :o not good lol.

:tomuch: Kids say the darnedest things. :rofl

They look huge!! Can't wait for the video. :teehee

Awe they are getting big!!!

Ahh!!! Sorry to hear about the other little one :o not good lol.

He's okay…I scooped him out ASAP! :)

How long are they now?

They sure are cute little guys :D Glad the little one made it out of the main tank OK! Looking forward to seeing a video :)

How long are they now?

They are about 1.5cm from tip to right before tail starts. Sorry I can't remember what that measurement is supposed to be called. :idont and I'm so darn tired I can't look it up now. :rofl3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk