Sign in to follow this  
FishWish

Nemo and Nola have babies!

181 posts in this topic

Just a short update with pictures! :greenbanana:

Fry are 3 1/2 weeks old. IMG_1742_zps448120b9.jpg

The two fry facing the right show the largest variation in coloring. The majority are the darker color and a few are still pretty translucent. I also have two with totally jet black eyes. All others have a small black pupil with a silver looking "iris"??

IMG_4764_zpsab30bc09.jpg

This is most of them...getting bigger :)

:yikes. Look at all those babies!!! :rofl

They look great! So many fry, so little time!

You're doing such a great job with them! I can't believe they are all pretty darn close in size! :)

:nana

:yikes. Look at all those babies!!! :rofl

They look great! So many fry, so little time!

You're doing such a great job with them! I can't believe they are all pretty darn close in size! :)

:nana

Thanks, Lisa! Yes, no true runts yet. I'm crediting that to the live BBS! It was written in the Fancy Goldfish book that by feeding live food that you can feed heavily and the food can stay in the tank longer giving the potential runts a chance to get their fair share. :):idont So far it's working!

They're getting so big!!! :)

Something is awry with the fry. :cry They will be 4 weeks old tomorrow. Last night when I walked into the room I noticed most were at the top, and I saw bubbles like they were gulping...immediately they scattered when they saw movement. Usually I transfer them back and forth to a fresh tub every other day. But, last night I was worried that params may be off so I transfered them then (100% w/c). I had started prazi on Friday (2/7) and continued until last night (Mon 2/10). No prazi now...just prime. But, when I walked in at lunch time they were resting (until they saw me) and some were leaning off center...not fully on their sides but almost. I also noticed last night when I transferred they had more trouble uprighting themselves instantly like they normally do. I also noticed rapid breathing yesterday but wasn't sure if that was a normal thing for fry. Babies tend to have a higher resp. rate. :idont

At this moment they are eating a fresh batch of live BBS. And, not listing.

Anyone have any thoughts? I didn't think I was as attached to them as I guess I am. :help: I wasn't sure about a D&D thread for fry...I am okay to leave it here unless it needs to be moved.

I think it's ok to leave this here.

I'm guessing it's a reaction to the prazi. It's out now and that will give them a chance to rest/recover. I think it's a good sign that they are eating now.

When you saw the bubbles in the tank was the prazi still in there? Prazi in the water can make the water surface kind of bubbly.

Have you looked into a heater? I know you've talked about it. I would bump the heat up. :D

Please keep us posted.

I think it's ok to leave this here.

I'm guessing it's a reaction to the prazi. It's out now and that will give them a chance to rest/recover. I think it's a good sign that they are eating now.

When you saw the bubbles in the tank was the prazi still in there? Prazi in the water can make the water surface kind of bubbly.

Have you looked into a heater? I know you've talked about it. I would bump the heat up. :D

Please keep us posted.

Yes, the bubbles were present in the prazi water. So thankful they are eating. I will get a heater...tomorrow afternoon I should have time to get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am just so humbled by your dedication to these little babies! My first "fancy" goldfish was a white matte. If any of these develop with matte scales, I'll home them! A lot of people don't like them, but I adore them! That's why I say your fish very well could be ryukin...time for a story. *~Flashback squigglies~* Growing up, I always had a fish aquarium. It was always neons and livebearers that I kept, with an occasional feeder goldfish. My first foray into goldfish was with a calico fantail my aunt gave me when she moved. I later upgraded to a thirty gallon and got two fantails from Wally World. I was about 11 or 12. By this time, I had learned and accepted the fact that fish from there had a 25/75 chance of making it through. What surprised me was both these little fantails lived, and THRIVED! The white matte developed a tell-tale ryukin hump. The other was a nacerous calico with a tail deformity. These fish got HUGE. When I was sixteen, I came home from school to find that my little brother had fed them for me... You can fill in the rest.

Edited by Allen

Guess I should do an update.....

:birthdayhap: The fry are 1 month old today!!! :happydance

So, all of the issues with the Prazi have resolved! They are looking fantastic. I finally added a heater, and they are absolutely loving it! There are always 10-15 hovering around it. The temp is steady around 70* These stinkers are eating like crazy. I feed live BBS every 12 hours, but in between I've been feeding First Bites and frozen BBS...neither of which they are wild about. In the size department there is a little variation, but nothing dramatic yet. Coloration is about 50/50 with half metallic and half nacreous. I am still transferring back and forth from one clean tub to another...I do like that you can get a nice 100% w/c each time, but I am ready for a bigger tank that I can take nice pictures through! Our Petsmart has asked me to call back to check on the arrival of a 20g long...I have been stopping by there so much that they don't want to see me anymore. :rofl3 I'll try to get some new pics up tonight. Will be out running errands today!

I am just so humbled by your dedication to these little babies! My first "fancy" goldfish was a white matte. If any of these develop with matte scales, I'll home them! A lot of people don't like them, but I adore them! That's why I say your fish very well could be ryukin...time for a story. *~Flashback squigglies~* Growing up, I always had a fish aquarium. It was always neons and livebearers that I kept, with an occasional feeder goldfish. My first foray into goldfish was with a calico fantail my aunt gave me when she moved. I later upgraded to a thirty gallon and got two fantails from Wally World. I was about 11 or 12. By this time, I had learned and accepted the fact that fish from there had a 25/75 chance of making it through. What surprised me was both these little fantails lived, and THRIVED! The white matte developed a tell-tale ryukin hump. The other was a nacerous calico with a tail deformity. These fish got HUGE. When I was sixteen, I came home from school to find that my little brother had fed them for me... You can fill in the rest.

Thanks, for your kind words. :) And, lesson learned...never trust little brothers to handle feedings! :krazy:

Here's my story...I was 12...little brother was 6. We got 2 GF from Walmart and each had a bowl. The next morning his was resting in peace...and mine lived 6 years in that bowl. I wish I had known more then....but my little brother never had a chance! :)

My little brother was so upset that he killed my fish! I have never seen him cry so much. I just could not believe how big my little Wal-Mart fish had gotten. Occasionally the local Wal-Mart would stock BIG goldfish and sell them for like 15 dollars. This was before Petco and Petsmart came to our area. I also wish I had Koko's back then! All I had back then was the library! And TFH Publications! LOL

Home sweet home!

nu8u6yhe.jpg

hy7e2u8a.jpg

:nana Finally!! :rofl

I think I need to add a sponge filter. :teehee I do everything that you do. :rofl3

There are so many! You can see them all in context here. You certainly have a dedication to your (grand)babies!

I'm starting to get jealous! lol

My newest batch seems to have the same issues as the rest. I'm going to have to take a break. I feels like they hatch and then I just wait for them to die. Geez, that sounds morbid....

My newest batch seems to have the same issues as the rest. I'm going to have to take a break. I feels like they hatch and then I just wait for them to die. Geez, that sounds morbid....

Sarah, I'm so sorry you've had so much trouble. It must be that crazy super gassy water. :rofl3 Because I know you've got more skills than me. :) chin up!

Sarah, I'm so sorry you've had so much trouble. It must be that crazy super gassy water. :rofl3 Because I know you've got more skills than me. :) chin up!

Thanks:) I just want to know what the darn things are. It's always the same. They get a little white thing hanging out of their vents, then a long fungusy looking thing shows up either on the gills or trailing from the vent. I can almost call the exact day it starts. lol. :I-Thank-You::rofl3

Your guys look amazing! So many, holy cow. Way to kick :booty !

Thanks:) I just want to know what the darn things are. It's always the same. They get a little white thing hanging out of their vents, then a long fungusy looking thing shows up either on the gills or trailing from the vent. I can almost call the exact day it starts. lol. :I-Thank-You::rofl3

Your guys look amazing! So many, holy cow. Way to kick :booty !

OMG! I have no idea what that could be. Sounds like it's some sort of parasite or bacterial issue. :idont

I was introduced to the work of dr. Joseph smartt by mikroll who is a member here. Smartt has a great book on GF genetics and he covers breeding and raising in pretty good depth. I'll look and see if there is anything mentioned that sounds similar.

Thanks for the well wishes! I'm pretty proud of these little guys. Haven't lost one yet! Although the first round of prazi was so stressful I have been putting off the second. Maybe I will give them another week to adjust to their new home...the infamous and very elusive 20g long. :rofl3

I gave Waldo 2 weeks off between prazi rounds. We've done 2 so far. :D

I think we're gonna need some close ups of a couple of your faves. :whistle

The Prazi is stressful. Breeding goldies is definitely not for the faint of heart. Did you get the powder? I couldn't find it anywhere...they all looked at me sideways when I asked.

The Prazi is stressful. Breeding goldies is definitely not for the faint of heart. Did you get the powder? I couldn't find it anywhere...they all looked at me sideways when I asked.

I didn't get the powder…went ahead with the PraziPro liquid. I am hoping the next round goes a little better…they will be bigger and stronger next time… :idont

I'm going to start hunting it down. It must be somewhere... :idont

I am so happy for you and your fry babies :) keep up the good job they are looking wonderful :)

I also am happy you found your 20 long :)

I'm going to start hunting it down. It must be somewhere... :idont

Sarah- I think you can order it from goldfishconnection.com

I am so happy for you and your fry babies :) keep up the good job they are looking wonderful :)

I also am happy you found your 20 long :)

Thanks! I was probably the most stoked aquarium buyer Petsmart has ever seen! :greenbanana:

:rofl I thought of you today when I went to Petsmart and they had about 10+ 20 gallon longs . . . AND they were on sale. :rofl3

Whats up with the antibiotics on the newborns? Is this something I should be doing with my fry? I purchased my adults at the same time from a breeder. She said as long as I had new stuff and didnt mix them with other fish I wouldnt have any issues with parasites. My fry came from them. Should I be worried about parasites and deseases?

Edited by sonny.barile