Sign in to follow this  
FishWish

Nemo and Nola have babies!

181 posts in this topic

We have fry!! :happydance Last week, unexpectedly, I found eggs that had been laid in our new 29g tank. And, we went from having Nemo and Nolan to Nemo and Nola! This was such a surprise, and my 5 year old has been in heaven since. I moved the eggs to our old 5g tank and we waited and waited. They hatched about 48 hours ago and the excitement continues. It looks like we have about 25-30 fry. I am praying a few make it.

As a beginner I have learned so much from all of you. What a journey this is going to be!

Yesterday, I was out at lunch buying supplies…luckily I found Hakari First Bites and frozen BABY brine shrimp! And, I got a compliment from the guy that runs our local pet store and maintains all of their tanks! Maybe he was just being friendly…but he looked surprised that I didn’t breed them on purpose and said that I must have “perfect” water conditions. Haha! I must admit I was proud. :clapping:I didn’t do daily water changes on a 5g tank for 4 months for no reason and then upgrade as soon as was possible.

I’m going to apologize in advance that I am not a very good photographer. I admire so many of your pictures here and hope one day to have time to improve in this area, but there is no time now. So here are the babies…

008C556C-4DA0-48D3-8DD6-793F4327908A_zps

8BAAE95D-8635-48A9-9D55-C09B7EB5289E_zps

I have a video to post also, but it is giving me some trouble. I'll try to get it up soon!

Thanks for reading! I'm so excited! :greenbanana:

Grats!! Good luck with them.

Excitinggggggg! :D congratulations on the fry! :)

:rockon

That bottom pic is awesome! Time for a breeder's medal. I'll let Koko know. :Jig:

Really neat!

Congratulations.

How exciting. Congratulations on the fry. :) The photo of baby is sooooo adorably cute.

awww congrats!!! the fun begins :)

48 hrs. out...I just tried to feel a tiny bit of froz bbs...and they aren't interested yet. They swim like they are startled then go right back to resting. Guess you can't rush mother nature!

Oh wow! I just saw my little breeder medal appear! :greenbanana: Thanks, Koko!

Congratulations!!!!

:Congrats:

Congratulations!

:heart:Congrats: I love your new medal! :)

That's awesome. Congrats!

The fry are 3 1/2 days old as of now (Sunday morning). They are off of the bottom now and positioned horizontally...mostly stationary but will dart about here and there. I have tried feeding frozen bbs from a medicine dropper, and I can't tell if they are not interested or if they eat it later when it is sitting on the bottom. But, they definitely aren't attacking it. Luckily yesterday, I was able to find bbs eggs to hatch! :happydance It involved driving a total of 8 hours with construction traffic on I-12 and a 1 yr old's 1st bday party, but I digress. :crazy: Hopefully, I can get the hatchery going later today.

The water in the fry tank has been stagnant for 7 days now since I put the eggs in. Can I go ahead and add an air stone with a very light current to help break up the surface biofilm with the fry being 3 1/2 days old? I am about to test the water to see what I get. What are the water change recommendations at this time of development? I have a sponge filter on the way...should be here in another day or two. Any advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated!

You can see the tail and what looks like swim bladder forming today... :heart

IMG_1572_zps19fabc45.jpg

Here's a pic of them off of the bottom and more horizontal today...

IMG_1575_zps3fa41bc3.jpg

Just wanted to say looking good and congratulations. I'm no expert on fry so hopefully someone will answer soon.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

If you put an airstone in, make sure the flow is light- they're still very delicate and fragile at this point, and too much could hurt them, especially if they accidentally swam into the bubbles. Some water circulation might be good for them, although that's just from my experience. I think I've heard of other people here waiting longer, but so far I've always kept my fry in a baby net in a larger aquarium until they were at least a week and a half old. Even then, I would still have to use the turkey baster to occasionally take some of the film off of the water.

I wouldn't change the water for a while, unless it reads that it's dirty when you test it. As small as they are right now, your fry shouldn't create much waste, unless you overfeed them. They can also be pretty sensitive to water changes, so if you do end up changing the water, add the new water very slowly over a period of time so that they can get used to it.

Also, if you have any (real) plants in your other tank, I'd recommend putting some of them into the fry tank. They can have algae, and yummy critter-things living on them for the fry to snack on when they aren't being fed. :)

If you put an airstone in, make sure the flow is light- they're still very delicate and fragile at this point, and too much could hurt them, especially if they accidentally swam into the bubbles. Some water circulation might be good for them, although that's just from my experience. I think I've heard of other people here waiting longer, but so far I've always kept my fry in a baby net in a larger aquarium until they were at least a week and a half old. Even then, I would still have to use the turkey baster to occasionally take some of the film off of the water.

I wouldn't change the water for a while, unless it reads that it's dirty when you test it. As small as they are right now, your fry shouldn't create much waste, unless you overfeed them. They can also be pretty sensitive to water changes, so if you do end up changing the water, add the new water very slowly over a period of time so that they can get used to it.

Also, if you have any (real) plants in your other tank, I'd recommend putting some of them into the fry tank. They can have algae, and yummy critter-things living on them for the fry to snack on when they aren't being fed. :)

Water params are perfect! So I will absolutely wait on any w/c…and I'll wait on the airstone too.

I don't have any real plants :( but I do have large stones that I could move. They feel pretty slimy to the touch.

So if the sponge filter will be there in a couple of days, the fry should be nearly a week old, and good for some sort of current in their tank. You may have to adjust it to make sure the bubbles aren't too rough, especially because I know your fry are in a smaller tank. While you're waiting for that, I'd skim the surface of the water to take the film off it, if you haven't done so already :)

You could go ahead and put the rock in the tank if you'd like. While it wouldn't have as many yummies on it as a plant would, there still might be something for them to poke at, and it might make them feel a little more at home than just a bare tank. Even at about a week old, mine had started to poke around in the tank like real goldfish! :D It's always so fun to watch them grow. :)

The fry are 5 days old now! I am having the best time with these little stinkers!

Developments:

#1...made a brine shrimp hatchery (thanks Georgia for the link)...but probably not quite as perfect as Solid Gold! :teehee

CCF34AA3-8A31-4827-AEE9-2D00B45984E0_zps

#2 These little guys are stuffed like a tick with live brine shrimp (all of the orange is dinner)! How's that for some "Love" food?!?! :rofl :rofl

9F84584A-C6EB-4A4D-8F38-5661A7CEF931_zps

Those little peanuts are stuffed! Great job on your hatchery too... I think you've done a fantastic job :D

:clapping: I bet your kids are loving this. Although probably not as much as you are. :rofl

Yay! Congrats on your beautiful medal:) The hatchery looks "boss" as my kids would say. Looking great! Love those full bellies:) Nice straight backs too.

Fry are 10 days today!! :clapping: They are doing awesome. Last night I spied pectoral fins for the first time. :wub: They are so tiny the little fins are translucent...you can only see them when they are moving..it's the cutest thing!

I have them in a clear sterilite tub and another clean tub ready to go...moving them back and forth every two days. I have gotten better at the transfer and everything goes smoothly. An official head count has not been done...but last time I tried I got 34 twice. OMG! :yikes What am I going to do with all of these sweet babies???