Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
marka83

Need low/moderate light in 40 gal breeder tank

Hello all,

I have been reading through lighting post, research articles, and information on the internet and I am pretty confused about lighting. Well... I have a fairly good idea of the general terms, requirements, etc. but I am unclear as to how I can achieve my goals.

I am planning a planted goldfish tank. Plants will require low/moderate lighting. The tank is a 40 gal breeder 17 inches deep. I want to keep my cost in the mid-range area of no more than $150. I am open to T8, T5, and LED lighting. According to my research, I need somewhere around 2.5-3 watts per gallon BUT I've seen folks on this site suggest that the depth of the tank is also an important consideration in lighting. If I don't need to spend extra money on higher wattage lights then I am all for it.

I'm guessing I should be less concerned with actinic lights? Seems like these are for coral in need of blue light and less of a concern for freshwater setups?

There are a bunch of light choices on ebay, if anyone here has a recommendation I would greatly appreciate it. If you think I should shell out more money for those Marineland lights, make a case and I might take the dive lol. Thanks y'all

Edited by marka83

Mine did fine and dare I say thrived under a shop light with some 'GE kitchen and bath' bulbs. This was in a 21" deep 55g tank. Sometimes going cheap works.

I purchased a Aqueon T5NO fixture when I recently set up a 40g breeder with intention to only put in some anubias. Well, I have several different plants in there now and, aside from the fish eating some of them, are all doing well. The amazon sword shot out two gigantic runners with many rooted plantlets, about 3-5 new leaves on the anubias, etc. This was even before I started experimenting with Seachem Flourish. It also gives off a pretty pleasing color in the tank IMO.

Since the 40B is so deep in width you'd probably want two of these for fully planted front to back or start out with one to see how it goes. When I bought it, it was about 46-50$ I want to say?

I also have a simple shop light over my 90 gallon tank. I got "plant light" tubes at home Depot. It was very inexpensive & has done the job for years!

(When I 1st got my tank (used) it was supposed to come with lights & everything.....I never got the lights..and most of the "everything" I tossed! BUT I was shocked at the cost of Aquarium lights. My hubby suggested the shop light & we went from there!)

Thank for the responses. It seems reasonable, and as your experiences have confirmed, and logical that "cheap" lights can provide adequate lighting for freshwater plants. I'll look into this immediately. Thanks!