Kokos Goldfish Forum
mysterygirl

Mysterygirl's Floating-World

As always, I really enjoy reading your updates :) your ryukins are brave little things.

He's so handsome in his globe! Goldie might want to watch out.  :teehee

Vanilli's bacterial cyst

vanilli10days.jpg

Vanilli is really enjoying her "most favored goldfish" status.

Meaning that she realizes that if she does a fast break away from the school, she gets her antibiotic pellets, which she enjoys as much as any pellet. Some of the other fish have started to follow her around: "Why do the 1st pellets just drop where just she can get them?"

The meds (Medi-Gold) appear to be doing the job, just 4 more days of her antibiotic course to go. 

Edited by mysterygirl

LasagnaDarkening.jpg

Lasagna was in the viewing dome and I noticed dark patches that weren't there when she moved to the pond just a week ago. The ammonia and nitrite levels in the pond are close to zero ppl. 

I'm thinking that perhaps these are ammonia burns finally healing from her being shipped from Florida to Northern California in just over 200 ml of water?  What do you folks think it is? It doesn't seem likely that they are coloration changes, since there is no black in her before-pond portrait.

And it makes me wonder if Stanley's black isn't burn-heal instead of color change too. He had it when he arrived.

Edited by mysterygirl

I hope Lasagna is feeling okay...

She seems to be acting normal, so I think she is feeling okay.  

But she's displaying a symptom where the scales have darkened.

What do you think it is?

I don't know, but when Newton was ill, areas of his body that had been exposed to air and/or a great deal of sun turned black while healing.  Is it possible that he gets a big dose of sun when he is in the viewing ball?

I'm glad you associate the dark patches with healing, rather than an emerging problem. Sun is unlikely to be the cause: their quarantine tank was in a room on the northern side of the house, with no direct sunlight.

shadyFountain.jpg

The fountain has a pergola over it, but still there are moving areas of direct sun throught the slats and shade available throughout the day. The sphere is well shaded.

How long did Newton's black areas last?

goldie.jpg

If you look closely, you'll see Goldie Hawn clocking hang time in her usual spot.  I was even concerned about sun screen, as I have to reach underneath the sphere to add pellets, but it was recently (2 weeks ago) cleaned and completely refilled. 

Edited by mysterygirl

His black was completely gone about 14 days after I made the changes to the tank and location.  Really, I do think they are healing from something rather than the start of something. 

Those photos are beautiful!

Those photos are beautiful!

Thanks, MRC, just a quick snap of what was going on out there today. I love gardening almost as much as fishkeeping. 

What you don't see: 

I spent several hours mucking out the biological filter this afternoon, because of Vanilli's bacterial issue. I'm thinking of pulling up all the Malaysian driftwood and letting it dry out just to go after any anaerobic bacteria lurking in their tunnels and hiding places.

Our Tetra BP1500-UV has a backwash feature, but it is really a two person job if you don't want any muck getting back into the pond. I didn't want to wait for my 2nd person. :whistle Then I have to manually rinse, rinse, rinse the media in filtered pond water before putting everything back together.

I'm beat! Now taking a natual anti-inflammatory, since hauling 5 gallons buckets x 5 of yucky water brings my back to the danger zone. I guess it beats going to the gym....I'm outside in paradise after all.

Edited by mysterygirl

Tough work, outside is almost always better than the gym... not here in the blowing rain, but at other times and in other places. 

shadyFountain.jpg

Wow Mystery, this is beautiful.

You can come and do my landscaping any time.

Wow Mystery, this is beautiful.

Thanks so much Mr. Hyde. 

"I firmly believe, from what I have seen, that this is the chosen spot of all this earth as far as Nature is concerned."

-- Luther Burbank (From a letter sent home to Massachusetts, soon after arriving in Sonoma County 1875)

Hmmm. Zone 11 are you? Woudn't mind growing some Passion Fruit and hibiscus. I tell Matthew not to get too attached to the new bougainvillea which I affectionately call "the Heartbreaker".  We're zone 9.5  with short freezes. 

Edited by mysterygirl

hi when will you update everything so we know whats going on with everyone in the pond :teehee  :clapping:

Meet the fish:  Microfiche 

Microfiche2.jpg

This little fellow weighs 10 grams. I'm not sure who the parents are.

He's the 2nd fish to reach adulthood in our pond by his own devices. 

He or she doesn't have a real name yet, I'm calling him Microfiche for now as he's the smallest. 

Edited by mysterygirl

Fire Marshall Stanley

FireMarshallStanleyGOTW.jpg

He looks like he's been fighting California wild fires, but I think it is just healing from previous poor water quality. All 3 Ryukins had the same experience once they arrived and he's the only one sporting what looks like chemical burns. 

He reminds me of Jim Carey playing Fire Marshall Bill. 

Poor little guy. I hope it doesn't hurt.  

Edited by mysterygirl

Stanley is very pretty though!

Hmmm. Zone 11 are you? Woudn't mind growing some Passion Fruit and hibiscus. I tell Matthew not to get too attached to the new bougainvillea which I affectionately call "the Heartbreaker".  We're zone 9.5  with short freezes. 

No, only the FL Keys just barely make  zone 11.  I'm not familiar with the term 9.5, but we are right near the border of 9A and 9B, so I guess that is 9.5.  I've grown passion fruit, but my husband insisted on digging it up because it spread.  Hibiscus grow tree sized, and bougainvillea (my husband calls it "that thorn bush," but he's not the one who prunes) grows huge.  It gets some die-back after a frost, but grows back to original size in the summer.  We get a frost or two most winters.  One can easily predict when these will occur -- just when the tomatoes start ripening.

Stanley is very pretty though!

He said "Aw Shucks, ma'am."

I think he might be embarassed by the attention?

but between you and me:

He's not feeling his best right now. I'm sure it will help him to feel better.

Edited by mysterygirl

My like button isn't working for some reason or I would have liked your recent photo's.  Your fish are beautiful and absolutely love your current pond photo's.  Beautiful flowers/scenery.  I hope Lasagna is getting better each day.

Absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!! 

Love the name Microfiche :) ...I wonder what colour he will become?  How fun to find unexpected fishies in the pond.

Is it possible Stanley is a calico ryukin?  It really looks like a color change (other than the tips of his tail and back fins) and his scales seem different too.  Keep us posted.

Is it possible Stanley is a calico ryukin?  It really looks like a color change (other than the tips of his tail and back fins) and his scales seem different too.

I don't know Kayla. Let me state first that I purchased what I thought would be 3 red and white fantails from Bluegrass Aquatics that used this photo for their marketing: 

MarketingRedRyukinsweb.png

I've submitted a review here, if you'd like to read more.

As you can see, I received orange shortail ryukins, and now one might be ...a calico?  Stay tuned.

It looks like Bluegrass Aquatics has taken this photo off their site for now, at least as far as selling "fantails" is concerned.

Edited by mysterygirl

I'll definitely stay tuned to see what happens.  Thanks for the update and information.