Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
danielle15

No power?

Question, we have a blizzard on our hands and may loose power. I don't have a battery air pump but I do have water jugged up.

I can put Moe in a small container and can do wc as often as I can, but water will be limited as I only have 5 gallons. What more can I do? How often should I change his water? I know to keep food at a minimum, or not at all?

Sorry if this is posted else where, I'm on tapatalk and can't search real well.

there are a few things you can do, but the easiest method to keep water aerated is to grab a clean plastic or glass jug and fill it with tank water. then all you need to do is from approximately a foot's height, trickle the water back into the tank so that it can create surface agitation and air bubbles back into the tank :)

you can do this every half hour or so.

how long do you think the power will be out for, if it happens? i would recommend to do a very large water change and decrease water temperature to approximately 65F. the cooler the water, the more air it holds. no feeds at all since they can go up to 7 days of fasting without it causing them any health issues. with the temps low, no feeds and a nice large water change, you will most likely not need to worry about getting air in there for a 12-24 hour period should the power go out.

Okay. Thank you Helen. I just got home and we still have power but surrounding areas have lost other already. Hopefully only a day or 2 without if it does happen. I will do your dribble method if needed. Fingers crossed I won't need to. I did a pretty decent wc on Thursday. I will get another one in tonight. I really should invest in a battery pump. I don't have the heater on so its been staying between 68-70 on its own.

Temps dropping below 0 and no power will not be fun.

I will stop feeding him until this blows over. Thank you again!

Edited by danielle15

good :) the one tonight should make all the difference if you were to lose power sometime soon (hopefully you never do)

one other thing is to keep a close check on the water params daily as well as the behaviour of your fish regularly until power is restored :)

I'm glad I got one in last night as we have lost power. My room isn't staying very warm, would it be ok to lay a blanket over the tank to insulate it a little?

He will be fine with the colder water. They are coldwater fish ;)

Good luck and I hope the power comes back soon.

Luckily we got power back a little bit ago. I got the filter back running and everything is testing good param wise.

Thank you everyone. This makes one very grateful for the luxuries we have and often take advantage of.