Jump to content
Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Karen T.

Algae On Plastic Plants...Help!

Recommended Posts

Can anyone help?? I have so much algae on my plastic plants...is there anything I can do besides scrubbing???

I don't have a dishwasher!

:tantrum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Baby's steralizing fluid 20 minutes in a bucket! then put in a bucket with tank declhorinator for a few minutes! come up as new :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would not be a permanent solution. If you have algae on your plants it is because the conditions are perfect for the algae to grow. Your tank is probably receiving too much light. You could cover your tank with a blanket for 3 days, leave the light off for that period. Once you take the blanket off all the algae should be gone :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then the algae would be back right after, because it wasn't removed and the lighting didn't change.

How many hours is your tank exposed to light per day, Karen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all, what kind of algae is it? Different algae can have different causes.

Reducing light usually helps. It can also help to add a live plant in order to eat up most of the nutrients in order to keep the algae under control. If you are not into live aquatic plants, you may want to consider adding a terrestrial plant that only has its roots in the water. Pothos are wonderful for this, since they are hardy and undemanding, and can make a big difference with nitrates and other plant-nutrients :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would not be a permanent solution. If you have algae on your plants it is because the conditions are perfect for the algae to grow. Your tank is probably receiving too much light. You could cover your tank with a blanket for 3 days, leave the light off for that period. Once you take the blanket off all the algae should be gone :)

Algae would grow back anyway!! not sure I would put my fish under a blanket for 3 days!!:-* also the question was about cleaning plastic plants!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the problem with algae on plastic plants? Actually, it makes the plastic plant function much like a live one, since the algae take up nutrients from the water, photosynthesize, and release oxygen. It's also an easy place for fish to graze on the algae.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the problem with algae on plastic plants? ?Actually, it makes the plastic plant function much like a live one, since the algae take up nutrients from the water, photosynthesize, and release oxygen. ?It's also an easy place for fish to graze on the algae.

This was my first thought as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bleach in some water, let soak, scrub with a toothbrush and algae will come off. Rinse plant well until you no longer smell bleach and let air dry. The bleach will be completely removed by air drying.

I find that over time algae will accumulate slowly until you realize you can no longer see the plant leaves. Then I bleach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what are your nitrates and photo period. Since there is nothing in your tank using up the available nutrients your algae is nice and healthy. Two steps:

  1. How long do you keep your lights on?
  2. What are your available nitrates?

Likely by reducing both you can control your algae.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have this same problem, and I'd love to know if there is any solution. Snails do help some but I've learned to just live with it. Unfortunately there is no way to reduce exposure to light because Mario has large windows throughout his apartment - so the tanks are exposed to light for as long as there is daylight. The algae we have is brown and our nitrates never exceed 10 ppm.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by *Amanda*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find a tooth brush works good lol.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have this same problem, and I'd love to know if there is any solution. Snails do help some but I've learned to just live with it. Unfortunately there is no way to reduce exposure to light because Mario has large windows throughout his apartment - so the tanks are exposed to light for as long as there is daylight. The algae we have is brown and our nitrates never exceed 10 ppm. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The constant daylight is problem unless it is part of your application. If you cant block direct exposure to the sun then you may always have a problem with algae. One way to keep algae at bay is increasing the amount of other goldfish safe mates you house in the tank that enjoy algae. Amano shrimp are a great addition to a tank if you have slower goldfish that cant fit them in their mouth. Amano shrimp get about 2" and love hair algae.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find this works well. Take a capful of bleach to about 2gallons of water, soak for about 10 min, scrubs right off after that with a toothbrush, rinse well when done. Put in a clean bucket with a couple capfuls of Prime for about 15 minutes before putting back in your main tank. (You should not be able to smell bleach after this.) I do this with my live plants as well though only soak then for about 3 minutes in the bleach solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:happydance Great answeres thanks guys! I'm going to try the baby sterilizing fluid first..if its safe for baby its safe for fish right! I do have the overhead

light on all day so I will reduce that and maybe try a plant or 2.

I have heard of the bleach thing but i'm scared to use it..is it safe. I know you are not supposed to put soap or detergent near fish so would bleach

be okay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:happydance Great answeres thanks guys! I'm going to try the baby sterilizing fluid first..if its safe for baby its safe for fish right! I do have the overhead

light on all day so I will reduce that and maybe try a plant or 2.

I have heard of the bleach thing but i'm scared to use it..is it safe. I know you are not supposed to put soap or detergent near fish so would bleach

be okay.

By using CindiL instructions on the use of bleach for your plastic plants, you fish will be fine. I too hesitated using bleach, but found that with proper use it really works quite well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bleach in some water, let soak, scrub with a toothbrush and algae will come off. Rinse plant well until you no longer smell bleach and let air dry. The bleach will be completely removed by air drying.

I find that over time algae will accumulate slowly until you realize you can no longer see the plant leaves. Then I bleach.

This is what I do also. But I'll just take my fingers and it will rub right off. Or, when you start to notice the algae on your plants (and you don't want it) while doing your water change it should just wipe off with your fingers. I do this also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Peroxide works too, it's cheap and just sit your plastic plants in it for a few hours and then rinse. But algae isn't a bad thing either, I'd personally keep it, knowing what I know now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Peroxide works too, it's cheap and just sit your plastic plants in it for a few hours and then rinse. But algae isn't a bad thing either, I'd personally keep it, knowing what I know now.

Would peroxide work on live plants, like amazon swords? I some how think that peroxide is less intense than bleach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does work on live plants, and is less intense but you still run the risk of harming them. You should probably dilute it to one part water to one part peroxide though, depending on how you want to use it. When using it in your mouth that's what recommended. If you plan to soak them it's probably best to dilute it. But if you use it to rinse them off, full strength is probably okay as long as exposure isn't for a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Photo of the week winner!


Pic of the week poll #18


×
×
  • Create New...