Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
mikroll

Christmas Day red caps oranda eggs hatch

19 posts in this topic

Eggs hatch today, Christmas day. The new red cap oranda finished QT and were placed with larger older adults this week and , they spawned full moon day. Pictured is nest with a breed net in protective position. Now must dig out the artemia hatch pans and get to work.Joy joy.

P1120531_zpsb7962e7e.jpg

P1120530_zps5c79115c.jpg

the males are so tiny next to the big old girls!

Congratulations! Keep us updated! :)

Yay! :D

:thumbs:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Grats nice presents!

Congrats on your Christmas babies, Michael! :)

Congratulations! I can't wait to see them grow :)

Wow! Maybe these babies will sport Santa caps.

30 day update : Christmas day and newyears day spawns are combined and now begin to recieve "hard foods" . growing fast and several showing nice looking tails. they still ofcourse are on a diet of live shrimp but that is not enough and they want more more. this time I experiment with a couple of new (for me) types of food. pictured are a shor video of fry at 28 day and their food.

th_P1120578_zpsa9198841.jpg

P1120560_zpsa7542380.jpg

I am amazed by their growth at 1 month! How many fry do you have and what size tank are you keeping them in?? At what point did you start adding foods other than live shrimp? They look like they are doing great! I would be so tempted to name them all Christmas names…Dasher, dancer, prancer…etc! :teehee

Hi fishwink, babes are on live fresh hatched shrimp and begin "hard" food (pictured in post # 11) at 30 day . just little bit at a time as over feeding can kill them. Now today hatch another batch . I do not know how many ,perhaps a couple dozen. tank is 50l .

I too was thinking they are growing ok until I look at last years telescopes at this age. big difference.

Hi fishwink, babes are on live fresh hatched shrimp and begin "hard" food (pictured in post # 11) at 30 day . just little bit at a time as over feeding can kill them. Now today hatch another batch . I do not know how many ,perhaps a couple dozen. tank is 50l .

I too was thinking they are growing ok until I look at last years telescopes at this age. big difference.

Thanks for the info! This is good to know. I have about 30 fry that are 11 days old...trying to learn from you and others. :)

update , redcaps now begin to show nice growth after a week on "hard foods". Now they feed on always larger portions and new food types seem to be showing good results. also the 3rd spawn now at day 5 are doing very nice, seem to be about 4 score . pictured is a Christmas baby now at age 37 day.

P1120623_zps50f393a5.jpg

P1120622_zps7208faa1.jpg

D'aawwww little babies. :heart

Glad they're doing well!

They are adorable!! How am I jut seeing this now? :o

43 day

P1120677_zps2b6302c9.jpg

60 day

P1120847_zps9f238a0a.jpg

63 day

P1120872_zps103033b8.jpg