Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hooker

Grow Faster!

Guest Hooker

How can I help them grow faster?

Guest luv my babies

Lots of room, food, clean water, love, care, and most importantly - patience. You won't see a different over night. Take good care of them and they will grow and thrive.

Edited by luv my babies

That's true about patience. Those little 1 and 2inch babies you see at the petstores took about a whole year to get that big. From the couple years I have been keeping goldies it appears that average growth of goldfish kept in aquariums is about 1 to 2 inches per year. Of course there are exceptions. My baby that I hatched last April is approaching the 2 inch mark and is just now getting his gold/orange color. Remember, a goldfish doesn't stop growing/become an adult until about 5-6 years old. To me, anything under 3 years old is a baby. They aren't sexually mature until 2 1/2-3 years old.

Guest Hutchtaz

I agree with everything that has been posted. Time, good water, quality food, and love. But, I also think that genetics play a big role. I have two fantails that grew 4 to 5 inches in a year, but I also have one that has only grown about 1 inch this year.

I guess it depends on a lot of things, including the particular fish! :lol:

hes right, genes play a big role. some of my goldfish havent seemed to grow at all while my others grew an inch! give them at least 10 gallons each to reduce stunting of their growth. change the water weekly at least. feed them alot twice a day

All of the above is important,

plus frequent water changes. Depending on aquarium size, and amount of fish. They grow a lot faster if you change water more than the standard once a week.

My fish grow 3-5" per year, some are going to break that record because I have a few that have grown 3" in the last 4 months alone.

Feed high quality food, and feed small meals often.

Good luck

Jessica

wow her fish must have excellent genes cause I do all that and my goldfish still dont grow that fast. My two big kois do seem to be growing about 3" in 4 months though

You need to give them 10-20 gals PER fish (minimum), plus all of the above, plus the water changes to get them to grow like that

I got a bigger tank and put my fish in, so now they have much more room and they have begun to grow!! YEAH!! I feed them progold, spirulina flakes and peas, so I know they have a good quality diet. I am still slightly overstocked, by 1 fish in each tank, but because they have much more room they are growing, which is cool I think.

Hello Hooker! Good topic! :D

Hey...I just wanted to add, that not unlike our children, we can't see the growth as well as people who aren't staring at them day in and out! My sister came for a visit and hadn't seen my tank for three months....she was like wow! Your fish are getting big! I hadn't noticed because I see them every day.

I am keeping a journal now! It'll help me keep perspective.....I am keeping two orandas in a 35 gallon tank....fighting the urge to get another...because I want them big!

Blessings

Keekee

Guest Hooker

I have a silver fantail in my 12 inch tank, and i have a black moore and an oranda in my 55. I think I'll get two more fish. I feed Progold, brine shrimp, assorted veggies, and,of course, the highly regarded peas. Now I want some big fat fishies!

i have had my red oranda for about 2 months and i've noticed around 1" in growth in that time.

i've just bought some growth food "Tetra Gold Medal" this might help them grow to be huge.

just do all of the above and you'll be fine.

Edited by Golden Supanova

Guest Hutchtaz

Hooker, it sounds like you are doing fine. You aren't going to have a problem growing, big and healthy goldies in that environment.

I will say, I know that everyone loves Progold and so do I, but I really think that Bio-Blend helps fish grow bigger. I used to only use Progold, but when I started to feed Bio-Blend, their growth rate noticably picked up. But, it probably depends on the fish.

Guest Hooker

I've heard of fish growing 8 inches in their first year of life. I wonder if there is a secret.

Guest Subaru12

Goldfish grow to the size of there surroundings. If you kept it in the sea it could grow to about two and a half feet. If you keep it in a tank it may only grow to 6inches.

Guest Hooker

If my fish were kept in the sea, they would surely die.

Guest Subaru12

Goldfish were found in the sea goldfish can live in the sea so there.

Guest Hutchtaz

Subaru, what is your problem?

The "so there" was very mature.

I agree that goldfish are freshwater fish, so depending on your definition of the "sea", they probably wouldn't do to well.

protein and exercise.. this is what you should introduce more to encourage growth

Get protein rich food or prepare them yourself.. egg white is considerably best and safe for fishes..

Exercise can be introduce through water current.. though strict supervision is required.. get a power head or bio wheel (preferred).. best those comes with flow control and introduce a bit of current so the fishes will swim a little.. but beware of what you are doing for a current that is too strong may cause damage to your fish (crashed against rocks or sucked into filter) and this may stress them out too.. so a moderate current that allows them to swim and play happily is a good current?

Guest Subaru12

Im very mature and modest. Yes I did find goldfish that is why im great. Definition of freshwater=sea