Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mygoldfishmylife

Can my fish eat bananas and rice?

How can I prepare them? I'm sure they're bored of their pellets bc they literally have been eating them all their lives. Thank you!

Of course they can eat them, but they aren't very nutritious. I don't believe goldfish get bored with anything that is edible.

I also find that my fish dine each day as if it was the first time. Food never seems to get old to them. :)

I'd avoid those types of foods, and stick to things that are tried and true. If you're looking to spice up their diet, try something like Zucchini, or Lettuce. I'm sure those who feed fresh veggies will have more to say, as I'm more of a repashy and pellets kind of girl.

Edited by yafashelli

How can I prepare them? I'm sure they're bored of their pellets bc they literally have been eating them all their lives. Thank you!

Fish are not humans, so I would try not to give them human thoughts and preferences, etc.

Having said that, you can certainly feed them bananas and rice, but these are not very good for fish all the time, so you'd have to feed sparingly. Instead, if you want to vary it up, try making gel food, feed different types of frozen foods, OR, best yet, grow some live foods for them. :)

I wouldnt waste time cooking rice for fish and I would not give it to them uncooked. They will eat it and it will absorb water inside if them. Then it will expand. It could get stuck in them and they could die. I guess if you have some leftovers you could try it but you would be better of throwing in some small pieces of vegetables or some bugs!

mosquito larvae.. mine enjoyed some today! (but it's summer here :P )

i would think that bananas and rice add to constipation issues. not 100% on the bananas, but pretty sure on the rice. we experimented once on one of my fish who had floaty issues and found that rice just blocks them up and has absolutely no nutritional value.

regulate their food, add some garlic, buy different varieties of Repashy and mix them together to make a few different combination flavours.

prepare natural foods, sometimes i feed my fish steamed cucumber chopped up into mouth size bits.. or other times i steam soft some spinach and veggie clip it to the side of the tank. they go nuts for that :)

but like others have suggested, they should never really grow bored of their food. are you feeding them too much and perhaps they're not always hungry?

Not sure on the rice or bananas, but my adore steamed veggies and frozen shrimp (brine and mysis). When I am able to harvest small live foods they go nuts. I do these because I have a fish with flotation issues and they help her out. But every time I give pellets, they look like "Pellets again!!!!!! YAY!".

I basically feed two types of gel good everyday. I keep a little cup of each in the frig for daily use & a batch in freezer bags. Mine ALWAYS "stampede" to get their share everytime I feed them. One type Am & the other PM.

If I cut up veggies or fruit I often drop some in for the goldies to enjoy!

I think they'll be happy with this forever!!!

Lately, I have been making gel food.

That is all I am feeding them.

I found something that agrees with the fish, so I don't want to rock the boat.

Fish are not humans, so I would try not to give them human thoughts and preferences, etc.

Having said that, you can certainly feed them bananas and rice, but these are not very good for fish all the time, so you'd have to feed sparingly. Instead, if you want to vary it up, try making gel food, feed different types of frozen foods, OR, best yet, grow some live foods for them. :)

:thumbup2:

A goldfish appreciates a different kind of variety than we do, and they don't have the same hangups about bugs (and veggies :P) that we do. I'd suggest things like spinach, kale, celery leaves, shrimp and fish scraps, brine shrimp, blood worms, and garlic. They love them some garlic.

Be sure to cook the rice first. I've heard dry rice can expand in their bellies and cause issues

Be sure to cook the rice first. I've heard dry rice can expand in their bellies and cause issues

This is another one of these long-suffering urban myths that unfortunately won't die a quick death. The land version of this is birds and uncooked rice

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/birds/a/wedding_rice.htm

This is another one of these long-suffering urban myths that unfortunately won't die a quick death. The land version of this is birds and uncooked rice

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/birds/a/wedding_rice.htm

Thanks for pointing that out! I like to carp fish and I read that in an article

Hi Brett,

I know Alex responded to your question, but I would like to point out this thread is over a year old. In the future it's best not to bring up a thread older than 4-6 months. The exception is pinned threads. If you have a question best to start a new thread because we would love to hear it. :)