• * Nitrate level(Tank) between 10 and 20
  • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0
  • * Nitrate level(Tap)
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 7.5
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Api drops
  • * Water temperature? 75 F
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 79 gallon tank and running more than 3 yrs.
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval fx5
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? I usually do 75 %to 50 % every week
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? I did 75% today
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fish
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, florish
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? 2 x a day , Pro gold, pea’s,spirulina flakes , salade supreme .
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? no
  • * Any medications added to the tank? no
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Salt .1% 3 weeks ago.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Bloody and frayed fins .
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Staying at the bottom only today

Hi everyone , well a little history on my fishey , his name is rupert hes about 5 years or older , hes been healthy all his life except for a few weeks now, I saw something white growning out from his gills , I tryed to salt him but it didnt help, hes always gasping at the surface and drinking bubbles at the surface, his fins are a lil frayed, I have a video I was trying to post. he was eating healthy until today when I hand feed him...

please help Im not sure what to do.

hi sally, sorry to read that Rupert is a little unwell at the moment. to be honest, i am not entirely sure what the white thing is, growing from his gills. are you able to take a close up picture of it?

it seems your routine and water conditions are great.

i also wonder, after seeing the pics, are his eyes seeming normal size to you? i got the impression that he may have fluid sacs around them. would you refer to previous pictures and confirm my observations?

and just to confirm, he's still eating rather well?

Helen I definitely see fluid sacs around the eyes, it looks like a bit more than is normal for a tele. The gasping and periodic bottom sitting also concerns me. When was the last time he was treated for flukes?

It looks to me as though the gills are very much swollen.

i have to go out. could someone help with direction for Sally please?

the only recommendation i can make at the moment is for that of which i am almost certain of. retained fluid at the eyes indicating popeye & advanced as it's to both eyes.

so epsom salt at 1/2 teaspoon for every 10 gallons for the first 3 days, then reduced to 1/4 teaspoon for the following 5 days total.

if we can get the images of the white, that will also give us a close up of the gills & gill plates. Alex, i saw swollen gills too, but wait on pics :)

sally, please check your fish as i demonstrate in the video below. if possible, have someone with you to either help you handle your fish or take the requested photos whilst you hold Rupert still.

good luck :bighug

Sally, I'm so sorry about Rupert. Healing energy to him!

Sorry your Rupert isn't feeling well :( I hope he mends asap :)

I hope Rupert feels better.

Hope he gets better:)

hi sally, sorry to read that Rupert is a little unwell at the moment. to be honest, i am not entirely sure what the white thing is, growing from his gills. are you able to take a close up picture of it?

it seems your routine and water conditions are great.

i also wonder, after seeing the pics, are his eyes seeming normal size to you? i got the impression that he may have fluid sacs around them. would you refer to previous pictures and confirm my observations?

and just to confirm, he's still eating rather well?

Hi Helen , I tryed to take alot of pics but the pics are not comming out well. His eyes look the same since I got him as a baby, hes always got big eyes , I will post a pic of him when he was younger... hes eating well , I feed him a few pellets of progold this morning,

Helen I definitely see fluid sacs around the eyes, it looks like a bit more than is normal for a tele. The gasping and periodic bottom sitting also concerns me. When was the last time he was treated for flukes?

Hi , the last time I treated for flukes hmm I think last year, I actually forgot to post that when I clean his tank and filter thrusday night I also added prazi pro in the tank because I had a feeling about parasites.

i feel you should treat for flukes again since swollen gills is a common symptom for flukes. i will be interested to see a previous picture of Rupert so that we can compare the amount of fluid surrounding his eyes.

so, prazi & salt for now with increased water changes. the salt should assist with breathing as well as work hand in hand with the prazi to rid any fluke infestation. please ensure that you increase aeration in the tank during treatment.

i feel you should treat for flukes again since swollen gills is a common symptom for flukes. i will be interested to see a previous picture of Rupert so that we can compare the amount of fluid surrounding his eyes.

so, prazi & salt for now with increased water changes. the salt should assist with breathing as well as work hand in hand with the prazi to rid any fluke infestation. please ensure that you increase aeration in the tank during treatment.

ok I will post the pic in a few mins , Thanks for replying I was getting worried lol , I know there was a chart for using prazi , I saw that post along time ago , on thrusday I added the prazi pro should I add the prazi after 3 days again with a big wc ? should I do 1% salt or 3 % ? I also have real plants in the tank do u think the salt can harm them? I dont want to put him in a emergency tank because its not cycled , hes the only one in the 79 gallon tank, sorry im asking so many questions , Im just a lil freeked out , I didnt have a sick fish for a long time :(

here is what we typically advise for Prazi treatment. if your fish worsens at any stage, or is not showing any signs of improvement, please post back with pictures or video so that we can reassess treatment plan. at this stage, i would like you to bring the salt to a maximum .2% if he takes that well, then after a few days, raise that to .3% and monitor him frequently. just be sure to keep checking for ammonia daily whilst treating with salt. ok?

FIVE DAY ROUNDS
Day 1: Big WC (>50%), add Prazi. Make sure salt is at the appropriate concentration. This is the beginning of Round 1.
Day 5: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 1.
Day 6: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 2.
Day 10: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 2.
Day 11: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 3.
Day 15: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 3.
Day 16: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 4.
Day 20: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 4.
Day 21: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 5.
Day 25: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 5.
Day 26: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 6.
Day 30: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 6.

This is enough for 6 rounds, should you need to go out that far.
Some reminders: Prazipro should only have salt to 0.2% if you are using regular dose. If double dosing Prazipro, you can raise salt to 0.3%. If you are using Prazi powder or tablets, then salt is at 0.3%.

Most plants cannot handle 0.2% salt.

Most plants cannot handle 0.2% salt.

good catch! i missed that! thanks for double checking, Lisa :bighug

Thank you Helen , I will do a big wc tommaro and add .1% salt and add prazi pro . im trying to find a good pic to show you , I found some but you cant see his eyes that much because he was a black fish , so the pics are harder to see but im looking for some :)

ok I will remove the plants :)

i am almost confident i see retained fluid around the eyes. i will discuss with the mod team for their opinions. but currently, do continue treatment for flukes. and we will respond soon.

Ok I will thank you

ok, we've discussed and decided that we would prefer you begin treatment by feeding MetroMeds. hold off on the salt all together and then in a few days after starting the MetroMeds, add begin with the Prazi routine whilst still feeding the MetroMeds.

the MetroMeds course will run for a minimum of 14 days. Prazi schedule as posted above.