Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
blackmoors

new fish room.

Finally found this thread again.

once i get around to posting up on p.bucket ill add a few new pics.

wotk had began on strengthening the rest of my floor on other side of the room for my new fish racks.

So ill finally be able to set up the 6 new tanks i got earlier (in another thread.?)

Hot hard work....

35c+ temps will not help.

But getting excited again lol

Will hopefully get a few more grow out ponds set up soon too. So the fish roon will just be for spawning and raising till pond size.... (hopefully lol)

Can't wait to see :D I'd love to have a fish room some day

Yeah same lol.

Aim is for ease of work. So fitting drains into the tanks for easier water changes etc.

Aaaaand maybe a small drain in the floor...

Nothing special but have to see.

Oh and new vinyl flooring tthroughout if i can find something i like.

20151228_212610_zpsxf28b9qm.jpg

Messy dirty work.

But got some joist supports in and some extra board stiffeners in under where the racks will be.

Once concrete sets etc we will be able to fit and screw down some new 22mm structaflor panels

Ok its a warm ish day today and frankly im buggered after xmas and last few days so its a rest day today.

Plus waiting for concrete/mortar etc to dry/set.

Had to rebuild the central brick floor support underneath due to a moronic pest /termite inspector knocked most of it down "making sure we had no termites, and saving our house from collapsing. ..."

No wonder some floors are squeaky and move.... this floor had a real issue of flexing in a spot quite badly. And wouldn't you know it. It was right where "Mr Tradesman" destroyed half the floor support.... termites didnt weaken my house he bloody did.

Grrrr it worries me now as to what damage the rest of the house now has.....

Are you doing the work yourself?

Yup.

Well family.

After what last "tradie" did.... not letting another in lol.

Should be able to drive a truck into the room once floor is all braced etc lol

Will be a heap more joist supports going in so there wont be much of a span between joists for the flooring.

And the fact ive gone from 18mm warped flexi boards to 22mm industrial flooring sheets i think it will be pretty good.

Also fitted another 5 joist support legs in main load bearing areas and walkways.

And a few other things.

Bit over engineered but meh lol

Better over engineered than collapsed. :)

Cool that you and family have skill to do the work.

Gotta love xmas holidays etc... lol get plenty done. But also lots of waiting til shops re-open to get supplies etc. :(

All the decent floor shops are still shut. So cant go looking for new vinyl-lino til they're open.....

Sooooo close.

This is just amazing to me. Beyond what I ever would have imagined would be possible. It's going to be awesome when it's finished, and it already is so impressive. Very professionally done.

I understand the waiting for all the shops to re-open, I've been doing that this week too!

Your new fish room is going to look great!!!!!!!

Thanks guys.

It's taken some time. But i cant wait til its done.

Wow the set up is coming along and looks like it's going to be a palace for a fish room. I'm not sure if anyone mentioned about the possibly humidity problem, but there's a good chance you're going to have a moisture problem unless it's adequately vented. 

I had a similar problem when I installed a hot tub for my parents in their finished basement. I created a whole new separate room for the hot tub and found after less than a month running that the moisture was taking a huge toll on the wall and a little bit on the ceiling. There was no window for ventilation or anything, so I had to get creative to combat the problem. What I did was put in 2- dehumidifiers and had my parents make sure when they're not using the hot tub to put the cover on it. For the last 3 years, 0 problems. No mold, no signs of excessive moisture, nada. Given your situation, there's probably a lot less water than my parents hot tub I installed for them, so as long as your tanks have tops, and you have a dehumidifier that you empty on a regular, you should be fine. If you're really worried having a fan in there won't hurt either moving the air around.

That trim/molding towards the bottom of the wall is normally the first thing that will show signs of excess moisture, so if you're worried, keep an eye on that and you will have a good idea whether there's too much moisture etc.

Good luck, can't wait to see when it's finished!

Cheers.

Yeah theres a door now and a sash window along side the door. (Built into the frame)

And a ceiling fan too.

But im currently looking into some wall vent exhaust fans (solar with battery back up).

But ultimately i want to find a fresh air heat exchange unit to bring fresh air into the house and not loose any heat or cooling i have done.and remove stale air.

Looooooooong day of basically nothing :(

Just going shop to shop looking for flooring.

But finally i found something i liked that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

So now the fun bit of getting it in and laying it.......

Will look pretty cool when im done hopefully.

I went for funky Black and white check lol.

2016-01-05%2012.46.59_zpstoi4y5rn.jpg

And now the fun begins. .....

Fitting/laying the flooring.

Hmmm ok.... may have gone a taaaaad crazy now lol.

Floor is in an done :) including a small drain in the floor.

Buuuuuut today i went shopping..... lol

Spent a bit on stuff i REALLY needed. (Ok wanted..lmao)

I bought 2 more racks for the room quite large and tall lol.

One will hold some of my tanks (about 9) and will have a few shelves for storage boxes above.

The other is going to be a storage rack. But there will be a bar fridge bellow aswell as a bar freezer and an old gutted bar fridge that is converted to a brine shrimp hatchery.

The shelf above will have a microwave (think repashy gel - it stinks my kitchen out so will prep and keep it all in fish room now) and along side the microwave will be a small prep area (bit like a kitchen benchtop)

Then if enough room maybe a central island bench in middle of the room.

Oh almost forgot... there will be a tv/dvd player going in there too.... lol.

Yep maybe a bit crazy lol

Sounds awesome!!

20160106_180450_zpsnm1kdpyy.jpg

Still a bit messy and have to move racks into position etc. But slowly get there.

You've been busy! It looks great! :)

holey moley.. great work, dude.. you'll have the best fish room in AU when you're done :)

Awesome! I am so excited to see it all done!