Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
blackmoors

new fish room.

Im currently designing/working out my new fish room.

Its size is 3m x 3.6m

Thereis a door in one of the 3.6m sides in the corner and the opposite 3.6m side has a window almost centre. This window is going to be removed and replaced with a glass sliding door to outside where my grow out ponds are.

Ive got a 4 shelve rack 2m x 2m x 600mm so far for fry tanks and qt etc.

Im also looking into a kitchenette to go along a 3m wall inc a small sink.

I also hope to get another rack to house a few 4ft tanks I have.

First I need to redo my floor to cope with the weight (1.3 tonne for big rack). And to do the sliding door.

Im also tempted to repaint the room using bathroom grade water proof sealant paint and anti mold properties etc seeing as room will house lots of tanks.

Im also looking into an air ventilation setup for fresh air into room.

Any other ideas.?

Oh the fry tanks etc will all be air sponge filters running off a resun lp 40 which will be hooked ipto a manifold around the room.

No ideas, but wanted to say this is awesome! :)

In my future fish room I want the floor to be slanted a bit and have a drain in the middle that leads out to a garden. That way when you do water changes you can water the garden at the same time.

Not sure if you have the means to do that but you asked for ideas. :P

Edited by dakotak

How exciting for you to be able to design a new fish room. You'll definitely have to show us with a video when you are all done. :)

Yeah cant wait.

My new tanks are being "drilled" the bottom of the drilling should be approx 5" from the bottom of the tank (incase of leak etc it wont totally empty on the fish)

They will be plumbed upto a pvc manifold that I will connect a hose to and run out the sliding door to a drain.

Im looking into water proofing rhe floor too maybe.

This sounds like such a cool plan! :)

Totally jealous, we share a house with my parents and live in the basement, I've got room for 3 tanks on the smaller size, would love to be able to have my own room just for tanks!

Plumbing, hot and cold water would be nice. A drain in the middle of the floor, with a U trap, leading outside would be convenient. While you are at it you might consider adding double electrical outlets with GFCI protection. This would cut down on the number of electrical extension cords lieing around the floor.

What direction is the wall with the window? A southern exposure coupled with lots of water from tanks could make for a hot sauna or solarium, not great for cold water fish. A refugium/Shahako's DIY filter with tons of plants would be an excellent addition to removing nitrates.

Frankly I'm jealous. It is -12C outside and Toronto is under a snow storm watch. Thinking about a fish room with a walkout sliding door is much nicer.

Edited by TorontoBoy

Yeah im hanging to get started.

The sliding door wall faces south. But straight into a 30ft wall about 3m away there will be a pergola between said wall and the house so the door will be shaded. My grow out ponds will be under the pergola.

All good ideas so far looking into all areas/directions at this stage

I don't have much to contribute but I am so jealous and can't wait to see pics as your project progresses!

Made a small start on strengthening the floor today.

And a pic of my new tank rack for the fish room its 2m x 2m x 630mm

20131222_161109_zps4cb5d5d6.jpg

20131228_172523_zps56ba6591.jpg

Floor is done (just under the rack will do the rest when its cooler far to hot atm)

Rack is now screwed securely to the floor to avoid tipping.

And started putting foam in place for tanks.

Slowly slowly.....

20131230_170559_zps8aa9cd52.jpg

Started to cover the fry tanks.

Decided to try doing the bottom blue as well. Hopefully the fry standout more and easier to see them.

20131230_200318_zps72ad5aab.jpg

Just a question about having tanks on shelves like that, how do you preform cleaning maitenence? Do you have to move the tanks? Is there enough room on the shelving unit to actually be able to get a syphon hose in there and mess with tubing and stuff?

I'm guessing you couldn't get away with havin canister filters when they are on the shelves, unless you had really long hosing lines?

Edited by Abyss

There is plenty of gap above the tanks between each shelf.

There are also step ladders or steps available to make reaching the shelves easier if you cant reach.

As for siphoning, my larger tanks have been drilled so I will have a tap setup on them for emptying. (Hope to have the smaller ones done to perhaps)

And as for filtration, my plan is for air powered filtration in the tanks. With hob back ups if needed.

As I get more done I will get pics and hope they will answer questions better than I can write lol.

Got a bit more done today.

Quick pic of the rack and some of the fry tanks etc

20140104_190353_zpscd2f230e.jpg

I'm über jealous, maybe one day I can have a nice setup like that but ill need a job first lol great work, can't wait to see them with fishes.

:clapping: Excellent work! :) are the tanks plexiglass?

Oh my gosh, wow! What a journey in setting this up but you are really getting there.

I too am so incredibly jealous. :rofl

Amazing! I'm definitely jealous. Hmmm, maybe I can set up my storage room . . . probably not, but now I've got a dream.

Thanks guys.

I wasn't meant to start on this project til easter ish. But couldn't wait lol.

All the tanks are glass.

Can't wait to see picture's.