Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
alistairw

Bristlenose Plec with big hole behind head

18 posts in this topic

Hey guys, one of my bristle nose plecs has a large gaping hole behind its right eye. Julie noticed after I did a water change yesterday. I have added a picture. Anyone seen this before ?

Thanks

IMG_4893_zps25eb7053.jpg

I'm sorry your Pleco isn't feeling good. He is gorgeous! Please fill out this form so we can further assist you. :)

This forum is for help or just general disease discussion.

Please copy & paste fill the following form and fill it out to the best of your ability when requesting help for Goldfish Problems:

Test Results for the Following:

* Ammonia Level (tank):

* Nitrite Level (tank)

* Nitrate level (Tank)

* Ammonia Level (Tap):

* Nitrite Level (Tap)

* Nitrate level (Tap)

* Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

* Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Tank information:

* Brand of test kit (drops or strips):

* Filter name and size (GPH/LPH)

* Additives and conditioners:

* Water temperature (With or without heater- please specify):

* Last water change date:

* Tank size (Gallons or litres):

* Fish in the tank (species and number):

* Any new fish added into the tank:

-If Yes: Were they quarantined?

-If Yes: Quarantine period and process (meds added):

* List prior health issues in tank:

* Medications previously added to the tank:

* Medications on hand:

Affected fish information:

* Diet- brand and amount/duration of feeding:

* Any unusual behaviour such as nipping, bottom sitting, etc:

* Any unusual findings on fish and in tank:

* Affected fish in quarantine or in main tank:

* Current medications being used on affected fish:

* Previous medications used to treat affected fish:

* If any, list previous health issues and treatment protocols taken:)

* You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

Oh dear is there any fish or ornament in the tank that could of done that?

Hello Mikey, thanks for answering. My parameters are all good. It do not believe that it is a water quality issue.

Hidr, I always check under the Mopani wood when I move the pieces for gravel cleaning. There are no ornaments in the tank. I was worried that the gravel may have done it if he was under the wood when I moved it.

We would still like the chart to be filled out please. ;) it has the tank size, water changes, fish, fish sizes, etc. :)

We would still like the chart to be filled out please. ;) it has the tank size, water changes, fish, fish sizes, etc. :)

Yeah, my thought would be hole in the head, especially since it appears to go along the lateral line.

Keep his water super clean. Maybe vary his diet some. Keep an eye on all the other fish. I think it is to clean oF a hole to be hole in the head.

Yeah, my thought would be hole in the head, especially since it appears to go along the lateral line.
I was thinking this as well. Since in not a mod I didn't want to say anything.

Hidr, I agree that it doesn't look like hole in the head disease. It is a very clean wound.

Mikey, my parameters are 0,0 and less than 20ppm. Tank size 65 gallons, 25 degrees C. 2 x large Eheim Ecco canister filters. Prime used as water treatment. No meds added. Fish fed on veggie and tuna gel foods.

Agreed.

Alistair, please fill out the chart to help out the mod team. Even if it is not a water quality issue, water parameters play a large role in which treatments can be used. The entire chart is necessary, no matter how much it seems to ramble. It's all about the safety of your fish. :) We aren't there to know what happens in your tank every day, so no assumptions can be made here.

Thank you. I hope your fish gets better. That hole looks very deep.

Iam no help, because I`ve never seem the likes, but to me kinda looks like you might of got him With moving the Wood,

Its to clean of a hole.

How long have you had him ?

How old is he ?

Right now I would keep the water 100% clean. With WC`s every day.

And add some raw Fish to his Food.

Entil they can figher out whats going on.

Good Luck and wishing the best.

You have some very good advice. Keep an eye out for a secondary infection. Maybe some melefix to help him heal. Or stress coat. Let us know how he does.

Good luck

Agreed.

Alistair, please fill out the chart to help out the mod team. Even if it is not a water quality issue, water parameters play a large role in which treatments can be used. The entire chart is necessary, no matter how much it seems to ramble. It's all about the safety of your fish. :) We aren't there to know what happens in your tank every day, so no assumptions can be made here.

Thank you. I hope your fish gets better. That hole looks very deep.

This. The chart is so the mod team can be confident about how they tell you to treat. They cannot help you until the chart is filled. :)

I'm sorry about that nasty hole in your plec. You said you did a water change yesterday. If it wasn't at least a 50% or more water change I would suggest to do another one today of at least 80% until a mod see's your thread and can assists you properly.

Thank you.

I leaned long ago, clean water and Fish can fight off alot.

Try to keep the tank as stress free as you can.

Dose he have Places to hide beside under the Wood ?

Hi Alistair,

How are you? It's been quite a while. I hope all is well with you. We need updates of your baby! Koko and TD have welcome a baby of their own as well. :)

The hole does look very clean and does not appear to be infected, and it doesn't look like any HITH that I've ever seen. Has it gotten better since you've posted?

Hi Alistair,

How are you? It's been quite a while. I hope all is well with you. We need updates of your baby! Koko and TD have welcome a baby of their own as well. :)

The hole does look very clean and does not appear to be infected, and it doesn't look like any HITH that I've ever seen. Has it gotten better since you've posted?

Hey Alex, hope you are well. It's strange being back on Kokos after only 8 months away and not recognising a lot of the new members. The BN Plec is still going about business as usual. I will be doing large regular water changes and I started dosing with melafix today. I will post some new pictures of Emma when I get a minute :)

Sounds good that he is acting normal and eatting,,, good sign.

Would still give him another safer Place to hide than just under the Wood. (small Cave )