Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ssaber

Fin chomping

Hi all,

Was wondering about fin nipping...or should I say chomping. My smallest fantail Hercules (already tiny to begin with) fins are being destroyed by the other fish. I've tried sitting and watching for two hours to see which is being the bully and it's like they know I'm watching and are on their best behavior. Is there anything I can do about fin nipping? I can't see who's doing it and separating wouldn't be very easy to do in my tank. I'm thinking I'm going to have to re home Hercules if it doesn't stop because his fins are already small to begin with and they are being seriously nipped. :( also if there is a thread on fin chomping please link me to it because I couldn't find one. I don't think it's water quality related and although I have 4 in a 55, they're still relatively small. And it's been going on for quite some time now. Hercules was the last to be added to the group so that's probably why he's being bullied. Any input is good...Thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you certain it is fin nipping and that there are no other issues going on?

• How recently have you treated for Flukes?
  • Are any other fish showing any tattering in their fins at all?
  • Is there an ornament in the aquarium that could be causing this issue, maybe one that he likes to hang around a lot?

Are you certain it is fin nipping and that there are no other issues going on?

• How recently have you treated for Flukes?
  • Are any other fish showing any tattering in their fins at all?
  • Is there an ornament in the aquarium that could be causing this issue, maybe one that he likes to hang around a lot?

I agree ^^^ Maybe look around on the disease threads and see if you can't match up the fin issue to another problem like fin rot etc.

Start a thread.