Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tarannosaurus

Squash is very round.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0 ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 30
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0.5 (Reverse osmosis)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0 (RO)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 5-10 (RO)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH: 7.4, KH: 107.4, GH: 107.4
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH: 6, KH: 17.9, GH: 17.9
      • Other Required Info:
        • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API MTK
        • * Water temperature? 68 F
        • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallons, about two years
        • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval 305, AquaClear 110 and and AquaClear 20 (The 20 stays on the main tank for when I need to quarantine.)
        • * How often do you change the water and how much? 100% weekly
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 6 days ago, 100%

• * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 fancies, 4-7 inches

• * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, baking soda, Equilibrium, Excel, Flourish, Iron

• * What do you feed your fish and how often? A combination of Thera-A, gel food, and peas or other veggies two or three times a day

• * Any new fish added to the tank? No

• * Any medications added to the tank? No

• * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. Completed Prazi a few weeks ago

• * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No

• * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

My ranchu Squash is very big and round lately. I first noticed when I came back from a trip a few days ago. I had to use my automatic feeder while I was gone, so I wasn't able to monitor the feedings. (The feeder was utilized for five days.) I'm thinking she might have eaten way more than she was supposed to. She always seems to get more food than the others.

I put her in QT yesterday and gave her some Metro Meds after I saw pineconing. She's bigger than ever. I will post photos and or videos soon.

Her behavior is still normal. She has a lot of energy and always wants to be fed. I haven't seen what her poop looks like yet.

I think you will also need Epsom, but I will wait for photos/video.

That is round. Alex will give you some treatment suggestions but have you felt Squash's belly? Is it soft or firm (touch very gently)?

That is round. Alex will give you some treatment suggestions but have you felt Squash's belly? Is it soft or firm (touch very gently)?

She's actually quite firm.

Oh, wow. I'm sorry she isn't feeling well. I definitely see pineconing. What size QT is she in? Would you also please be able to weigh her.

Oh, wow. I'm sorry she isn't feeling well. I definitely see pineconing. What size QT is she in? Would you also please be able to weigh her.

The QT is a 10 gallon. I don't have a scale to weigh her.

How do you do your water changes? That is a pretty big pH difference to be doing a 100% all at once unless you have the water sitting out already made. I would say add 1/4 TEAspoon of just plain Epsom salt for now.

How many pellets of MM have you been feeding her? Is there a way you can borrow a gram scale from someone?

Edited by Mikey

The first thing I have to do is fill a bunch of water cooler jugs all week with reverse osmosis water. This process is very slow; it takes several hours to fill a four gallon jug of water. I have to use reverse osmosis because my tap water's nitrate reading is very high. When it's time to do a water change, I fill a bucket with tank water and place my fish inside. Then I siphon 100% of the water and add the RO water to the tank. I add Prime, baking soda and some other additives for my plants and then let the tank run for half an hour before adding the fish.

Yesterday she had 20 and she's had 10 so far today. You're saying to add 1/4 teaspoon for the whole 10 gallons or 1/4 per gallon?

The first thing I have to do is fill a bunch of water cooler jugs all week with reverse osmosis water. This process is very slow; it takes several hours to fill a four gallon jug of water. I have to use reverse osmosis because my tap water's nitrate reading is very high. When it's time to do a water change, I fill a bucket with tank water and place my fish inside. Then I siphon 100% of the water and add the RO water to the tank. I add Prime, baking soda and some other additives for my plants and then let the tank run for half an hour before adding the fish.

Yesterday she had 20 and she's had 10 so far today. You're saying to add 1/4 teaspoon for the whole 10 gallons or 1/4 per gallon?

That must be very tedious to do. :(.

Oh yes, I'm sorry, 1/4 tsp. for the whole ten gallons. :)

If you cannot find a scale, I would like for you to give the body length (don't count the caudal), and we will try to estimate the amount for feeding of MMs.

I really would appreciate it if everyone, except for the very very experienced fish keepers, to leave it to the mod team to make treatment suggestions. It's so easy to recommend treatment, but not so easy to undo it. So, I ask that people respect this request. Thank you.

Sorry. :(

That must be very tedious to do. :(.

Oh yes, I'm sorry, 1/4 tsp. for the whole ten gallons. :)

Yeah it's a pain. But it's worth it. I don't use the county water for anything.

Should I still add the epsom? I'll be back with a measurement.

Squash is exactly 3.5 inches from nose to peduncle.

Let's aim for 20 pellets/day of MMs, until you can weigh her.

Yes, please add 1/4 level teaspoons Epsom per 10 gallons.

I would like for you to do at least one WC a day while in QT, and keep an eye on parameters.

hun, can you take a topview photo of squash? i would like to see exactly how round she is and what her scales are actually like. some ranchu have naturally bumpy scales that can seem bumpier when the fish is retaining fluids (speaking from observation of my own stock) either via illness or overfeeding.

hun, can you take a topview photo of squash? i would like to see exactly how round she is and what her scales are actually like. some ranchu have naturally bumpy scales that can seem bumpier when the fish is retaining fluids (speaking from observation of my own stock) either via illness or overfeeding.

Here are some top-view photos of her:

20131208_123610_zps2c3309c9.jpg

20131208_123652_zps9108ef89.jpg

20131208_123707_zps7b37257d.jpg

She hasn't changed at all. I would also like to point out that the swelling is not symmetrical.

As I understand it, it's only be 2 days, right? The meds need a bit more time to work, and we are guesstimating on the necessary amount of pellets.

Sorry to hear this. I hope she gets well soon!