Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Helen

Euthanizing - A Video Demonstration.

Hello friends,

Euthanizing has always and will always be a very sensitive topic. unfortunately, one of my fish needed to be Euthanized. i checked our site and realized there was no video demonstration on how this is done. so, whilst i was contemplating if i should euth my fish and as he took a turn for the worse, i decided that i would make the video to demonstrate how i managed this successfully & humanely.

Please understand, there are many illnesses that can be treated, many fish that look like they are knocking on death's door and depending on what the health issue is, some fish can and have been brought back to good health from these conditions with the dedicated help of our wonderful Moderating Team and our Experienced Members/Friends. please do seek help by posting a thread before you decide to euthanize your fish.

**********************************************************************************************

***WARNING***

The following video demonstration shows a fish being sedated and then receiving an anesthesia overdose. Please do not play the following video if you feel that seeing a fish being Euthanized will affect you in any way.

**********************************************************************************************

RIP that wonderful trooper... I know he taught you and many others here so much during his life. He's now in the heavenly pond above. :hug

Helen you are such a strong woman. This such a personal thing to record and share. Thank you for this and everything you do for the forum. We love you!

RIP that wonderful trooper... I know he taught you and many others here so much during his life. He's now in the heavenly pond above. :hug

Helen you are such a strong woman. This such a personal thing to record and share. Thank you for this and everything you do for the forum. We love you!

:heart :heart

Oh Helen, It must have been hard to do this and share it with us.

I'm tearing up after watching that, but I feel better as well because it was almost the same method I've used for Euthanizing in the past. Rather than moving to a smaller container though I added more clove oil once I was sure they were asleep and left them for quite a while to be sure they were gone.

You are so strong doing this for Leon and sharing it. You and Leon taught us all so much. I think something like this was very important to have on the forum. You did so much for Leon and even helped him right to the end <3

RIP Leon

Edited by FishyMandy

Oh Helen, I'm so sorry that you had to do that. Rest in peace gorgeous boy. xoxo

Oh Helen! :hug

Thank you for the video, I expected it to be distressing, but it was a very peaceful way to go.

Leon was such a special fish. :heart

thank you all, for your words of comfort & your words of encouragement :heart

You're so strong to share this with us. :hug Thank you very much for this procedure.

May your little soldier rest in peace. And may he be there to help others cross over when the time comes.

You're so strong to share this with us. :hug Thank you very much for this procedure.

May your little soldier rest in peace. And may he be there to help others cross over when the time comes.

thank you, sweetie :heart

:hug

I'm so sorry Helen. :heart he was a beautiful fish, and lived a very long happy life with you. :hug

RIP Leon. :heart

Helen, I am so sorry you had to go through this. It took a lot of strength to share such personal moment with all of us here. I am certain that many members will benefit from this video and will be able to help their beloved fish cross over in a peaceful and human manner. Hang in there, Helen :k055:

RIP, Leon. You were such a handsome boy :heart

I'm so sorry :( RIP Leon

Thank you so much for sharing this moment to help the community with this procedure. It takes a lot of strength to do :hug

:heart thank you.

So Sorry you had to go through this, but thanks so much for having the strength to share your teaching moment with us :)

may your big guy R.I.P. :(

Thank you for sharing such a personal thing so that others can learn.

He sure was one lucky fish to have lived his life with you :)

Oh Helen, than you so much for this video... This will really help anyone who is needing to do this procedure to be more comfortable with it. I am always scared I am going to do it wrong and they will suffer :(

RIP Leonidis <3

I definitely had watery eyes towards the end... But at least he went peacefully.. :'(

Rest in peace, Leon.. :heart :heart

Huge hug for you, Helen. Thank you for sharing this with us so that others may learn how to humanely put a fish to sleep if they are ever faced with it. I'm so sorry for your loss.. We're all here for you. :hug:heart

Hi Helen, I didn't want to watch the video (at least not for now. but one day maybe) but after reading your responses I see it was your beautiful Leon that you euthanized. I'm so sorry he wasn't doing well and that this had to be done. What a difficult decision this must have been for you.

Thinking of you during this hard time for your loss of Leonidis. He is resting peacefully now.

:hug:angel::hug

thank you :heart

Cheryl, that's ok, hun. i am hoping you will never need to watch it :hug

thank you :heart

Cheryl, that's ok, hun. i am hoping you will never need to watch it :hug

I didn't watch it because I didn't want to see Leon having a hard time going if he was. I'd rather remember him swimming in your tank.

You did teach me how to use clove oil, remember with Jet? And I euthanized him at his weakest moment. :( That was enough for me.

I do think a lot of people will know what to do if heaven forbid they need to go this route. (if you showed how to use clove oil like you did me)

Again, so sorry for Leon being gone.

i remember, hun. Leonidis took the sedation like a champ, as he did several times before and peacefully passed on once the anaesthesia overdose was added. no struggles of any sort. very peaceful. i am at peace with it all as well. an autopsy confirmed my suspicions that he had a tumour the size of an small olive growing in his brain which caused him total blindness, disorientation and total loss of his swimming ability and then loss of appetite. all this happened in a time frame of 10 days.. making the call to euth came at the right time. i am at peace with it :heart

I am glad you did the autopsy as well, so now you knew for sure what was wrong with him. I am glad you are at peace with it :heart

I am glad you did the autopsy as well, so now you knew for sure what was wrong with him. I am glad you are at peace with it :heart

thank you haley :heart

It must have been hard to do the autopsy too (I don't know if I'd be able to do something like that, but then again I wouldn't even know what to look for) but it's great that you could do that and know for sure what was wrong and that you did the right thing at the right time <3 You are such an amazing person, Leon was so lucky to have you as his owner