Pic of the week

Pic of the week poll #14
Sign in to follow this  
Kittycat

My lovely lady Elrond is going to be a mommy again! ^_^

45 posts in this topic

For the last month or more, my boys have been chasing my only female of age around the tank like they're going to spawn, but nothing ever came of it. When they started doing it again this morning, I wasn't expecting anything to happen. Several hours later, I checked on the tank, and looked at the bottom out of what I thought was false hope, but there they were! :D There were plenty of eggs laying around on the tank bottom. I did my best to catch them with a turkey baster and put them in a baby saver net. Then I decided to try my hands at hand spawning (no pun intended, it really was quite a hands on procedure!)

I had rubbed her tummy earlier that day when I saw that that the males were chasing her, but nothing happened. When I gently tried again hours later after noticing the eggs on the bottom of the tank, a few eggs came out! I got my black moor, Othello, and put him and Elrond in a gallon bucket together. First I got some milt out of him, then I grabbed Elrond in my right hand and Othello in my left, put their tails facing each other, and did my thing. :ehh:blush: When I looked at the results, there were a lot of eggs, probably more than I've ever had in a spawning before :blink: . I did my thing with Othello right away again over the eggs to be sure. I sort of didn't swish the water around enough, so they stuck to the bucket and I probably lost a few when trying to get them into my other baby net, but I kept the other two hand spawnings I did in their buckets, and then put an airstone in them.

So now what I have are: (Picture!)

Pearlscale (Elrond) X Black Moor (Othello)

Pearlscale (Elrond) X Calico Ranchu with nacreous scales (Calico Jack)

Pearlscale (Elrond) X Orange and white Pearlscale (Gandalf, her lifelong friend and lover)

Group effort (approximately 20 or so eggs with all the listed above males along with a possible orange and white lionhead)

I have no idea how the fertilization went with the hand spawning, but I know that on some of them that were conceived in the tank, I could see the beginnings of a baby fish in them! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Awesome! Congrats :)

:Congrats:

Wow! Thats fascinating! Happy day :Congrats:

It's been 24 hours, and I checked on the eggs. I seem to remember last time my fish spawned, after about 24 hours you could easily tell what eggs were fertilized, and what ones were not as the unfertilized ones would be milky white. I did not see a single white egg. All eggs still appeared to be clear. I may have been imagining seeing the little baby fish in one of the eggs yesterday, as I didn't really see any today. Either all the eggs were fertilized and my fish are extraordinarily fertile :blink: , or not enough time has passed to tell. The temperature might have something to do with it, because the main tank is at 68 degrees right now, and the last time they spawned it was in late June into July so it was warmer out.

Also, if a lot of the eggs do end up being fertilized and hatch, I'm toying with the idea of keeping the babies from the different fathers separate, and keeping track of their colors, shapes, and different features. I think that it would be a fascinating experiment, except I would probably need to get another ten gallon aquarium, probably two. I already have four aquariums, so this might be a bit overboard, but a part of me really wants to do it :D:devilangel

The eggs have started hatching!!! :D There's only about four fry that have hatched so far, so they've got a ways to go. I counted them up yesterday, and there were over 300 fertilized eggs in all. :o I'm gonna have my hands full for a while here . . . :krazy:

congrats! how exciting :D lol, with 300 eggs, you're going to need a lot more then a couple ten gallons :teehee Can't wait to see pics~

congrats! how exciting :D lol, with 300 eggs, you're going to need a lot more then a couple ten gallons :teehee Can't wait to see pics~

Yes, yes I will! :P After thinking about things for a while, I decided to just get a 40 gallon breeder and forgo separating the fry by who their daddy is. It would have been an interesting experiment, but due to space and money, probably not exactly feasible at this time.

Most of them have hatched now, though I'm still waiting on a few, mostly those from the final hand spawning mix I had done. Meanwhile, enjoy some pictures!!! :D

eggs1_zps840c5f32.jpg

Four day old eggs from the Calico Jack (Ryukin/pearlscale) mix. When I counted that batch, I got 253 eggs :yikes

eggs2_zpsbb17afe7.jpg

fry5_zps02a6d589.jpg

The Othello (black moor/pearlscale) mix and the ones found in the tank were the first to hatch by about a day. This might have been because they were in baby nets in the tank, which kept them a little warmer than the others that I had to keep in buckets.

fry3_zps69cc608e.jpg

fry2_zps7cb3e06a.jpg

fry4_zps5ad08046.jpg

Peekaboo!

fry1_zpsdfd4da99.jpg

Too cute! I love the peek-a-boo pic. :)

Kittycat, those are the best photographs of goldfish embryos in their eggs that I've seen yet!

Kittycat, those are the best photographs of goldfish embryos in their eggs that I've seen yet!

Thank you! Can you belive that I took those with a point and shoot camera? I was practically getting the camera in the water while taking them :P

That's awesome! Make sure to keep up updated! :)

So now all the eggs have been hatched for several days now, and most of them are starting to swim freely now. At this point, I have more than enough fry to spare if I happen to make a few mistakes :huh: Actually, that's sort of a concern of mine right now. What on earth will I do with all these fry? Even if only a quarter of them make it, there are still going to be a lot of baby goldfish! :blink: I had no idea that I would be this successful with hand spawning a week ago when it all started :doh11:

fry1_zpscb17435c.jpg

I've counted 75 in this baby net alone, and I know there were a few more in there that I missed

fry3jpg_zpsc455114a.jpg

They're starting to eat now, and on the older ones, you can see their little pectoral fins. It's so cute to watch them swim and wiggle those itty bitty little fins! :) I'm feeding them fresh baby brine shrimp and first bites, with some egg yolk thrown in last night. I'm planning on trying to feed them a pretty varied diet, with the staple being BBS and first bites. I started some infusoria last week, but right now it doesn't look like much of anything :undecided:

Edited by Kittycat

The fry are about three weeks old now. There's a pretty good size difference between some of them, but they're really starting to look like little goldfish. Most of them are getting their little dorsal fins, and quite a few of them have got the most beautiful fantails. Most of them have normal eyes, but there are a few with button eyes

I did do some culling during about the 1 1/2 to two week period, getting rid of any ones that did not have a good fantail. I had always thought that I would never be able to do culling as my little softy heart could not get rid of the less than perfect ones, but with the amount of hatched fry that I had going on, it was necessary to do it to make room for all of them as they grow :huh: As it is, I have roughly between 80 and 100 of them at this point. :blink:

I wish I had better pictures of them at this point, but it's so hard trying to get a good pictures of those little fry!

3weekfry1_zps8a80966d.jpg

Look at that beautiful little fantail!

3weekfry_zpsa1e0f99c.jpg

3weekfry3_zps4a638496.jpg

3weekfry2_zps8ed65493.jpg

Aww. Congratulations. :)

I loved reading your thread and seeing your beautiful photo's.

Aww. Congratulations. :)

I loved reading your thread and seeing your beautiful photo's.

Thank you! :) Sometimes it's really frustrating trying to take pictures of the fry because they're so small and quick. It makes me want to buy a nice digital SLR camera, but I keep telling myself, no, wait until you're out of school as a graduation present to yourself! :P Usually I have to take nearly a hundred or so pictures, and then maybe a few will turn out alright

My fry are getting bigger and bigger every day, and I am excited to see what their colors will be and how they will look as they get older. I've noticed several specific differences amongst the fry. There seem to be silvery metallic ones with regular eyes, see-through ones with button eyes, and the fewest are of see-through ones with eyes that still have the ring around them, but the black area is sort of smudged out. There's even one of those that appears to have one black eye, and one nearly regular eye! :wub: Another thing I noticed is that some fry seem to have deeper chested bodies than others who are a little more streamlined.

These pictures were taken several days ago, so they're slightly bigger now :)

5_zps48a7c894.jpg

2_zps9d1af5c4.jpg

1_zps45360ae1.jpg

3_zps1fe50365.jpg

4_zpsb7950bfc.jpg

These are such amazing photographs!

Fun thread! Love the pics! :thumb:

Those button eyes are so cute! They're looking great

These are such amazing photographs!

Fun thread! Love the pics! :thumb:

Thank you both! :)

Those button eyes are so cute! They're looking great

I know, they're all just so cute! There are more of the button eyes than I would have thought. I thought there weren't going to be any with button eyes at first, because it looked like they all were going to have the regular eyes, but then as they got older, the button eyes just sort of started to show up. Probably about half of them have button eyes. :)

I'd have to say, I'm sort of the most excited waiting to see how the ones with the sort of smudged black eyes turn out. Out of the three fish that I had survive from the first time they spawned about seven months ago, two have button eyes, and one is metallic. Both of the button eyed one stayed a matte cream, except one got the smallest little spot of orange right by her gill plate. The metallic one is still a wild type color, except he's very slowly getting a little lighter and more on the yellow side, but the process is taking months! I hope the batch that I'm raising now will change color a little faster than those have. :rolleyes:

Nice hun... wow so big

Here's a video I took of them eating yesterday. I've tried taking pictures of it, but I think only a video will do justice to the sheer number of them. They're eating brine shrimp in this video, so all the ones that usually are poking around in the bottom are out swimming around.

wow! amazing how fast they grow!!

My baby fish are getting so big and starting to get their colors in! Every day when I look at them, they're just a little bit bigger, and their colors have changed just a little bit. I am definitely going to have quite a few calicos! :D I love watching how their little black freckles change and move a little every day to form their color patterns :)

I took 34 of the biggest fry and put them in the 29 gallon tank to give them all more room to grow. The reason it's 34 and not 35 is because there is one who is too fast and smart for me to catch him, so he remains the king of the tank with that smaller fry. :rolleyes:

The pictures I took here are not quite up to date, being about 5 or 6 days old, but still full of fishy cuteness :D:wub: :wub: They are about five and a hald weeks old in these pictures. I still have to try to take some pictures of their changing colors, because after I took these pictures, their colors really seemed to take off the next day.

5-5weeks1_zps77fd550b.jpg

5-5weeks4_zps5981acbb.jpg

5-5week7_zps6e131c1f.jpg

5-5week8_zpsedeceb3e.jpg

5-5weeks3_zps10999396.jpg

5-5week5_zps8be09bfc.jpg

5-5weeks6_zpse8574f34.jpg

5-5weeks9_zps21e03d7f.jpg

5-5weeks91_zps5681bb30.jpg