Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ssaber

Favorite canister Filters

So as we all know Christmas (or your holiday here) is coming and my mom is famous for gift shopping early... I'm going to ask for a canister filter for my piggies and would rather get some reviews from goldfish owners vs 5 star reviews from whatever web site.

Right now I have a collection of HOB filter, I'm looking to increase my gph by at least 130 with the canister and I'm on a budget of less than $200.... So here are my questions:

What canister filter do you like best and why?

Feel free to share the good, the bad and the ugly from your canister experiences (and include any problems you've had with replacing equipment, customer service etc.) keep in mind I'm a first timer with canisters so share any tips tricks or advice as well! ;)

Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I just wanted to say you should checkout the review section of the forum you can find some good info there. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I have only used two canisters so far, but I like them both.

Of the two I have my eheim is my favorite (I have an eheim ecco pro 2236). It feels sturdy and well built to me, I like that it has a spray bar option, and I prefer the tubing over the fluval tubing.

I also like my fluval 306 and wouldn't hesitate to buy another fluval, but I feel like I have to be more careful when taking it apart and putting it back together because the plastic doesn't feel as sturdy as my eheim. And I don't like the ribbed tubing that comes with the fluval. I believe some modifications can be made to switch it to regular plastic tubing but I haven't really looked into it much yet.

I LOVE my SUNSUN canister filter. Super cheap and works wonderfully. Extremely pleased with the quality and performance. I will probably be purchasing another one.

I have only used two canisters so far, but I like them both.

Of the two I have my eheim is my favorite (I have an eheim ecco pro 2236). It feels sturdy and well built to me, I like that it has a spray bar option, and I prefer the tubing over the fluval tubing.

I also like my fluval 306 and wouldn't hesitate to buy another fluval, but I feel like I have to be more careful when taking it apart and putting it back together because the plastic doesn't feel as sturdy as my eheim. And I don't like the ribbed tubing that comes with the fluval. I believe some modifications can be made to switch it to regular plastic tubing but I haven't really looked into it much yet.

I have the Eheim Ecco Pro 300 which is the newer version of the 2236.. for tanks up to 300l, 750lph and only uses 8 watts of power also it holds 5 litres in volume.. its built well and 9 time out of 10 easy to prime.. just one thing though you must not be heavy handed with the handle as early versions did have a few that snapped off but I think they fixed that because mine is soild

Edited by FlipsHere

Also if you get a canister dont forget to clean the pipes/tubes once they get mucky.. not really sure how you would do this with ribbed pipes like you get with the Fluvel ones but I do recommend using something like this to clean them with http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B2L8HSS/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2/278-4155138-6103016?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_r=11J0QZS3P9NEWZ70AZRC&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_i=B008LR2KCA

its a 15min job but you end up with spotless pipes when you have done it :)

Edited by FlipsHere

I'm trying to make this decision too. No one will send me a Sun-Sun (not in the EU but on EU voltage causes problems) but I am going to look at the Eheims on a trip to Germany coming up. Keep sending the suggestions and reviews.

I have a fluval 306 and a fluval 305 and they're both fantastic filters. They prime easily and cleaning is very easy.

I think a great canister filter is a Cascade by Penn-Plax. They have filters with a gph from 150ish to 400ish. Also, they're not really expensive. I believe they are one of the best price to performance ratio filters out there.

I personally have found a cheap and effective filter in the 'API FILSTAR' (formerly Rena FILSTAR). I really enjoy the 'quick release' because it means not having to prime the filter all of the time. It's easy to maintain and can very much pick up a lot of crap. The only con is that it has clear tubing. I guess that could also be a pro because it shows you when it's time to clean the tubing!

I know some people have had problems with this filter but I have not experienced any at all.

Edited by ChelseaM

I personally have found a cheap and effective filter in the 'API FILSTAR' (formerly Rena FILSTAR). I really enjoy the 'quick release' because it means not having to prime the filter all of the time. It's easy to maintain and can very much pick up a lot of crap. The only con is that it has clear tubing. I guess that could also be a pro because it shows you when it's time to clean the tubing!I know some people have had problems with this filter but I have not experienced any at all.

I would most definitely consider clear tubing as a plus! How's the build quality on it?

I agree on the clear tubing or the green eheim stuff I have.. Its the stock inlet and outlet in green I dont like or use :unsure:

I have two Fluvals. Initially I didn't like the ribbed tubing when I opened the box. I figured all kind of muck getting trapped. But this even occurs on the smooth intake tube so it just happens. I like the color as it blends into the background and doesn't look like my tank is in a trauma room hooked up to like-support tubes lol

The ribbed tubing actually serves a function-it prevents the tubing from kinking which could affect the flow and/or cause malfunction.

With regard to cleaning ribbed makes no difference. I use a long-handled brush to reach into the hose and run under tap.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

I personally have found a cheap and effective filter in the 'API FILSTAR' (formerly Rena FILSTAR). I really enjoy the 'quick release' because it means not having to prime the filter all of the time. It's easy to maintain and can very much pick up a lot of crap. The only con is that it has clear tubing. I guess that could also be a pro because it shows you when it's time to clean the tubing!I know some people have had problems with this filter but I have not experienced any at all.

I would most definitely consider clear tubing as a plus! How's the build quality on it?

It's a tough little canister. I have the XP-L, and it runs well enough to filter a 55g tank with two rather big goldfish. I move the tank a couple times a year due to college and this filter moves really well, especially compared to how my HOBs did. It's even put up with clay sediment and still runs like a champ. Every once in awhile I do have an air leak, but that's easy to fix with a little trick I have learned on YouTube. The thing's silent too. I have to get really close to even see that it is working.

It's a tough little canister. I have the XP-L, and it runs well enough to filter a 55g tank with two rather big goldfish. I move the tank a couple times a year due to college and this filter moves really well, especially compared to how my HOBs did. It's even put up with clay sediment and still runs like a champ. Every once in awhile I do have an air leak, but that's easy to fix with a little trick I have learned on YouTube. The thing's silent too. I have to get really close to even see that it is working.

Hmm...I was looking at the Penn-Plax Cascade canister filter, but may have to reevaluate my optionsM :)

Hmm...I was looking at the Penn-Plax Cascade canister filter, but may have to reevaluate my optionsM :)

Justin,

The SunSun (or Aquatop, I think they are the same things marketed with different names) are cheaper and better than the Penn-Plax. :)

Justin,

The SunSun (or Aquatop, I think they are the same things marketed with different names) are cheaper and better than the Penn-Plax. :)

Really? Good thing I learned that before I went out and bought one. Now, I hope you don't mind me asking but, what makes them better?

Edited by Justin

Aquatop and sunsun are the same... You can find the sunsun on eBay or Amazon much cheaper though. I only paid 90 for mine. I probably wouldn't bother with any other brand at this point considering how much I spent and the great quality of the product.

Justin,

Really? Good thing I learned that before I went out and bought one. Now, I hope you don't mind me asking but, what makes them better?

Actually, I stand corrected. If you order online, the prices are about the same, or Penn-Plax cheaper, depending on which model SunSun/Aquatop you want.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008986EQO/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1384713816&sr=8-1&pi=SY200

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002DJ9GQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1384713663&sr=8-1&pi=SY200

I do think that the Penn-Plax flow rate is too high. For canisters, with already big media chambers, you want a nice flow rate, but not a super fast one.