Sign in to follow this  
Captain Findus Goldfish

!#%!#@ Technology!

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

One of my least favorite parts of this hobby is dealing with wonky technology! Especially since I have no idea about these things.

These past few days my canister filter in my 50Gal community tank has started making noises. First the usual 'I have air in me' whistling which I ignored and decided to deal with when doing the water change, then since yesterday it seems to go from high to low/no speed by itself. And finally this morning it started making grinding noises. Since I have had sand with that filter for about 3/4months, I figured some sand might be messing with the motor. So I took it apart, washed all the 'machine parts' well and rinsed out the filter materials.

Turned it back on, the noise is gone but now it has basically zero power. Thankfully, I have another filter running on that tank so I turned it off for now.

I have a few ideas of what the issue could be;

1. could the sand have broken something? When I emptied it about a tablespoon of my old black sand came out. So it has been in there for 1week+ at least.

2. Thing is, I have stockings wrapped around the intake because I don't want my kuhli loaches to test their daredevil selves and go into the canister! So 1. How can sand even go in if I have the intakes wrapped. 2. Could the wrapped intakes be the cause for the slower flow? Somehow clogging the intake?

Ugh! Any suggestions?

I can feel the need to get a new filter coming around!

Sand can damage the impeller and ruin the pump. I don't know how sand got through the stockings. Stockings, or any other fine filtering medium, at the intake are very likely to clog.

Any suggestions on how I can prevent the loaches from going in without the stockings? I was thinking to add some coarse filter sponge.

I have coarse filter sponge on my filter intake in my betta/tetra tank and it works great :)

It sounds good. "Coarse" is the key word.

So; I changed the intake and my husband re-primed it. It's now running full speed, but still making whistling and howling noises (sort of like the wind). Super weird.

I'm glad I use a simple pond filter for my tank!

Edited by shakaho

Have you thought of checking and or changing any seals? The whistling sounds like trapped air. Sand could have messed with your seals.

By seals you mean the plastic rings ? I do have one on the very top of the filter that has never looked very fixed.

Si annoying because if it was an eheim the store here would take it, give me a new one to replace it, fix it and send it back to me!!!!!!!

The only thing that I can think it might possibly be is air trapped somewhere. I think the best way to detect this is to look at all the seals and see if any are loose. Especially those around the motor. If they all look fine, it may be the motor itself bringing in the air.