Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MexiMike83

Eheim 3e Pro 2078 Review

I finally got it set up and running. I took a cutt off a piece of filter/sponge from the old HOB and put it in the canister for seeding. I suspect that there's going to be a slight ammonia jump while the bacteria get set up. I'm hoping that there's enough in the tank so it's isn't worrisome. Anyway this is hour one review and I will try to update this in a few months. So, with out further adieu:

Ordered the product from Amazon - it was about 20 dollars cheaper than Doctor's foster and smith. The parts seem sturdy and put together well. So well in fact the hose was a bit of a pain to get on all the way - but I don't want a flood so I will take it as a plus. The installation was fairly easy, the only slightly annoying thing with the installation was that there are 3 manuals for it in different languages. So you have to read e.g. the English section in each of the three manuals. It does however come with a CD to put on your computer that has all the manuals, all three of them....Better would have been to have a manual with say, English, french and Spanish for example and the other manuals with different languages. So you only have to keep the one manual.

Anyway, my initial thought on this filter is man this thing is quiet! I mean, I whisper louder than this thing runs and the hum of my laptop fan is much louder. I have yet to own a filter quieter than this one, I find myself glancing at it to make sure it is actually running because I can't hear it!

A bit about the electronic features: I like the adjustable flow option with a button rather than messing with the intake valve to the canister like my old Fluval. It has an automatic option, the filter is supposed to adjust power as it gets more filled up with what I will call "gold fish love" -this is also the default as I understand it; a 12h bio function (which I haven't quite figured out yet I need to find the manual)- basically you can have a higher flow during the day and a lower one at night so the fish can sleep; there's also stream and constant flow options - if I remember right, the stream will do a cycle flow, it will occasionally put out a higher flow and then go back to a lower flow and the constant flow is well...constant. The canister filter has a service indicator light that tells you how long you have until the filter needs servicing - at the moment it says 6 months (i'll keep an eye on that to be sure). Now if I can just find that manual :lol I can figure out how to use all of these settings.

There is a TON of room for media, 4 baskets worth. I have the two bottom filled with Fluval pre-filter media, the next one up Fluval biomax and the top one filled with Eheim substrate pro. This thing is pretty nifty. :thumb:

The spray bar appears to be agitating the surface in a smooth calm way. I see the plants swaying a bit with the current which hopefully will mean that this will be the only filter I will need. I still need to pick up the purigen and put it in. I'm not sure what rack to put it on? Thoughts on that anyone?

My only complaints are at this point the size of it, it won't fit under my aquarium stand - but the trade off is that it will be more accessible for cleanings. The other minor complaint is the ever so pretty green tubing and it didn't come prefilled with media, I had to buy my own. I spent quite a bit on media.

You should see my poor living room, it is covered with fish supplies/boxes from amazon. So photos will be out for awhile until I can get this place cleaned up. I only have about 4 weeks left of school so probably by then.

Things I'm considering getting for it later on down the road are the internal heater and I'm not sure but I think there might even be a UV sterilizer for it too.

Overall, thus far I am very happy with my purchase.

I have had this exact same filter running on my tank for just over 2 years now, but I'm about to head to bed now so I will have to remember to pop on here tomorrow to post more

~~Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk~~

Thanks for the very thoughtful review, Mike! :)

Sorry for the typos and grammatical errors guys. I had to pull an all nighter to study for a chemistry exam and I haven't been to bed yet. :(

Edited by MexiMike83

So, after more than 2 years with this filter, there are a few things I can tell you about the filter.

In the first year, the board went on mine and I had to get a replacement sent to me by Eheim. I had a VERY hard time getting support from them initially, but thanks to our wonderful member Tastyworms he was able to get me into contact with them.

I did have to change out the board myself though as they simply shipped me a replacement lid that had nothing but the board installed in it, so it was a matter of swapping them out. The plus side to doing it that way was that I still had filtration running as the filter still works at full tilt even when the electronic features fail.

I have never used the 12H bio function due to the fact that my tank has no live plants, and the goldfish absolutely hate the stream function which switches between high and low every 10 seconds. It creates more water movement and they didn't seem to be fans of just how much movement that function actually creates.

The filter does fit under my tank stand, but I have it out beside the tank instead as it makes it easier to clean when needed since it's VERY heavy when filled with water.

The lights telling you about when you need to clean the tank is a bit of a cr@pshoot because you can get an orange arrow and 5 green lights if the flow is reduced a bit by algae in the tubing. The only way to fix that is to dismantle all the tubing and giving it a good cleaning.

To disconnect the tubing from the intake & output, you need to run them under hot water to soften them & then pop them off, and the same when you want to put them back together.

I also use floss in mine which is placed on the very top after the blue sponge. This I rinse out when I take off the tubing to give them a cleaning. Mine also did not come with any media, so yes the first time you set it up it can be costly. I took all the media that I was using in my rena xp as it was established and added it to 2 of the trays, and then added more new media since this filter has loads of space for media.

I can tell you that I have not had any need for additional filtration, but my tank is also understocked as my fish are from 6 to 10 years old now and after more than 15 years in the hobby, once these fish pass, I will be taking a break from the hobby and selling off the 75g, deco & the stand, but tearing down the Eheim and storing it away as it was a very high priced investment and some day I may change my mind about having more fish lol