Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Goldsguy

Eggs Hatched!

Have a good trip. Enjoy the break from the fry:)

Thanks

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

aww they grow so fast don't they :)

I just asked Abyss and wanted to ask you, how are you keeping the bottom of the tank clean? I find the food is getting blown around quite a bit. I tried thickening it up a bit (First Bites), but that just makes it cake to the bottom and I have to scrape it. That makes even more of a mess. I can't see how I can avoid doing water changes every couple of days. Just curiouos about your approach.

I just asked Abyss and wanted to ask you, how are you keeping the bottom of the tank clean? I find the food is getting blown around quite a bit. I tried thickening it up a bit (First Bites), but that just makes it cake to the bottom and I have to scrape it. That makes even more of a mess. I can't see how I can avoid doing water changes every couple of days. Just curiouos about your approach.

I use a turkey baster to siphon the mess from the bottom. Then I use a styrofoam cup to scoop water from top of tank when changing water.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

I use a turkey baster to siphon the mess from the bottom. Then I use a styrofoam cup to scoop water from top of tank when changing water.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

That's what I'm doing as well...hmmm. Maybe I should agitate the food and try to get it out with a really fine net...

I don't have a problem getting it. After I get most of it, I use it also to stir water up and as bigger particles settle I siphon those.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Okay. I'm doing that too. Was hoping there was a quicker way. Ah well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some use an airline tube to start a siphon and clean the bottom. Sorta like a mini Python

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

Saw that on youtube used with a powerhead. It was scary. I'm going to try the mini python approach. The baster is sucking my will to live. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well returned from my snowboarding trip and all eight fry are still here. I was worried about leaving but measured out the food for person fish-sitting for me. Omg did they get huge. Four are much bigger than the rest.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

They look awesome! Wow, how old are they now?

So glad they all did well while you were away:)

They are one month now. Yeah I counted them the moment I walked in. :). So weird how four or five of them are so much larger.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

I hear ya. My 12 year old hadn't peeked in on Gary in about a week and a half. She saw him yesterday and was like "Mom! He's so HUGE!" ...yeah, a monster. lol

Well, today I lost one of the smaller fry. It appeared to have a mouth defect or something. Was too small to see clearly but assumed it was difficult to eat. Last night was basically floating or drifting in tank. This morning was still alive but died during the day.

The others seem ok and very active.

This leaves me with seven. Four larger and three smaller.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

How big are they now, Jeff? I'm sorry for your loss.

The turkey baster idea seems like it would work good :) I have sand and hoping that some BB will help me with the decomp lol plus im sorta sidetracked with kids running around even trying to work around my 2x weekly water changes and maitenence can be difficult at time. Nice to see yours are doing well Golds :) sorry about bucket dude as well. I'm thinking about getting a new camera in the new year, not anything expensive or flashy but maybe then ill have some nicer pics to share with both of you. So happy to share this experience with you guys xox

How big are they now, Jeff? I'm sorry for your loss.

Hi Alex. The biggest of them are about one inch in total length.

Posted Image

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

I don't have a problem getting it. After I get most of it, I use it also to stir water up and as bigger particles settle I siphon those.

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

I have a very fine net, works like a charm.

The turkey baster idea seems like it would work good :) I have sand and hoping that some BB will help me with the decomp lol plus im sorta sidetracked with kids running around even trying to work around my 2x weekly water changes and maitenence can be difficult at time. Nice to see yours are doing well Golds :) sorry about bucket dude as well. I'm thinking about getting a new camera in the new year, not anything expensive or flashy but maybe then ill have some nicer pics to share with both of you. So happy to share this experience with you guys xox

I am using my phone....it sucks. I'd love to see some more photos:)

Wow ... fry AND kids? I commend you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I am using my phone....it sucks. I'd love to see some more photos:)

How many kids do you have?

Lol thanks I'm trying to juggle everything the best I can, I have a 1year old daughter and a son that's 6. I'm so happy I have such a good baby girl, she let me do cleaning and water changes on both tanks and just played on the floor and watched sesame while I did it and listened to me when u said don't touch the yucky fish stuff lols

Edited by Abyss

Lol thanks I'm trying to juggle everything the best I can, I have a 1year old daughter and a son that's 6. I'm so happy I have such a good baby girl, she let me do cleaning and water changes on both tanks and just played on the floor and watched sesame while I did it and listened to me when u said don't touch the yucky fish stuff lols

You are lucky to have such a good daughter! I was the kind of kid who had to touch everything in sight. But if my mom told me it would hurt me, I stayed away! :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Nice! I wish my 2 year old would do that. As soon as he sees any gear, he's got his sleeves rolled up and is ready to "help". That's when the 5 year old's entertainent skills come in. She's the only one who can get him away from the fish. The 10 and 12 year olds could care less...unless there's a spawning. They seem fascinated. My 10 year old son wouldn't look in the tank at first because he said they needed privacy. I had to promise that it was egg laying before he would look. It was hilarious.

A 1 year old though, along with your fry batches...that's dedication:)

I need more pics from you. I promise to post some if you do. :P