Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ssaber

Evolution of the new tank (LOTS OF PICS!)

Hi everyone…It's been a while since I've posted (things have been pretty busy for me lately!)

Wanted to post some pics for you pic hungry people of the evolution of the 50gallon free tank (and stand!) I got from craigslist!
So it's looking like it's gonna become an african cichlid tank, (boyfriend wants something a little flashier for the living room) planning to get some babies and probably upgrade once they get larger but for now should be fine. Species have yet to be determined, still doing research on all that!
Please excuse my messiness and bad quality photos, I'm not the type of person who does a project and stops to take a photo every step of the way LOL. and my iPhone camera isn't the best…also bad lighting in my apartment and I ran out of daylight quite a bit so bear with me! ha ha.
stand_zps53feb9e4.jpg
Here's the stand the day I picked it up, a little backstory...I saw an add on craigslist for a free on curb fish tank and immediately went to check it out, it looked great structurally just very dirty so I claimed it and took it home...
tankfirst_zpse43ed764.jpg

Check out this messy thing! It sat outside for a few days...I was actually in the process of getting a new couch and didn't even have room for it quite yet! Wasn't sure if it even held water!

standclean_zpsc9ae85bb.jpg

Well the stand cleaned up amazingly well! Paints in great condition didn't even have to touch it up, just wiped it with a wet rag and shined it up some. It's going in the living room next to my cat's feeder so she can watch the fish.

tankfull_zpsf78346cf.jpg

It holds water!!! YAY no leaks!! Cleaned and scrubbed it out, now I'm starting to get ideas about what kind of fish I want in it ;)

hoods_zpsbf78a0a1.jpg

hoods2_zps1c2b72b2.jpg

Oh no got distracted and forgot I still have the hoods to clean! Grrrr....ran out of daylight too. Surprisingly cleaned up fast, just dusty as the whole set up had been sitting in a garage.

together_zps388756fa.jpg

The last part was moving the tank inside to fit on the stand. Looking good!! Done for that day.

dirty_zps4e9a3157.jpg

Cleaning up the light hoods, again just using a wet rag and the nastiness is coming right off! I wonder if they work though...

2rocks_zps24662e88.jpg

Hey the lights still work! Cool! Oh and an Emperor 400 filter was also included! Cleaned that (yet to test to see if it works though! Will need to buy new media and some new parts) And added some rocks for decor. What kind of fish are going in anyway....

lighted_zps17a333df.jpg

This is how it looks currently! Added some aragonite and crushed coral along with some decor rocks, made some hiding spaces. Looking for some driftwood to add to the mix. Plans are (right now) making it an african cichlid tank, getting an additional Emperor 400 HOB filter (although def adding my favorite bio-max media to it) Included also was a heater (yet to clean or test but I have a back up if needed). Lights seem to be doing good and overall pretty excited with the new set up! Maybe I'll have it up and running by Thanksgiving.

As for the fish it looks like I'll probably be ordering from LiveAquaria when it comes to that step, there really isn't a good freshwater LFS in my area and the last time I was in Pet*mart there were dead fish and lice in almost every tank and when I pointed it out to the manager she said it was normal and tried to convince me the lice were good...So I'll be taking my business elsewhere!

I'll be posting more photos whenever I save up some money for the filters, media, wood etc. and actually fill and begin to cycle. Need to get an additional water test kit as well.... grrr the list is adding up!!!!!

Sooooooo what do ya think?? :D

Looks great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ooh! Let us know how it goes! I'm interested on how the cichlids go, I'm curious as to what they require. :)

Looks great!!

what a great find :) it looks awesome so far :) keep us posted :)

What a find! Congrats!

Fish lice are normal and good for the fish. :doh11:

Awesome!! :clapping:

I am soooo jealous, I really wish we had the room for a cichlid tank. Good luck, and please keep updating! :D

It looks great! Congrats on finding this setup! :clapping:

But your boyfriend is on my list for saying that cichlids are flashier! :rolleyes:;)

Edited by ShawneeRiver

freaky deaky cool man :)

niceeeeeeeee im so jealous! :madrant

:lol3

You can't beat free :nana

Cichilids will need about 20 more hiding spots! They are super aggressive! Can't wait for more pics! :goodluck

Thanks for sharing your pics :thumb:

nice work!

Thanks everyone!! I've been reading more and looks like I need about 3x more rocks! Gotta head over to a park and pick some more out. Also ordered my new filter and media should be coming this week! :D can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Let me get this right, you got all that for FREE??? That's AMAZING! It looks fabulous. :Congrats::nana:thumbs:

Let me get this right, you got all that for FREE??? That's AMAZING! It looks fabulous. :Congrats::nana:thumbs:

Yep! Everything seen here I got free except the rocks ($15 from a nursery) and half the substrate is crushed coral ($12). I spent $90 on an additional filter and new replacement media for the free filter. Looking for additional rocks nearby so those will be free and the fish will probably be the most expensive part ~$150 depending on if I order them or if I can find them in store. Super excited because I really wanted a second tank but didn't have the money to start from scratch. Very lucky find!

Very nice set up! :)

Wow awesome find! Looking great!

It looks beautiful!!!

Looks great! Keep the updates coming!!

Looks really good. Are you going to put background paper on?

New update!!!!! More pics lol.

Ordered my filter media for the 400s (and for my AC) and my new filter for the 55 and wow I had a giant mess. Posted ImagePosted Image

Also ordered another water test kit, this is the best I've found that has a majority of the test kits together gh and kh are the only ones not included so you have to buy them separately Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Heres the new filter, an Emperor 400. Can't wait to try them out. Posted Image

Here's my true baby being jealous of all the attention I'm giving to my new tank ;)

So I set it all up and put some background paper (black) on, decided I hated it and am currently painting the background matte black (looks more like grey but it's cool...) Posted ImagePosted Image

That's what I'm looking at right now and my gosh is everything a mess! I seem to always be in the middle of 10 different projects at once! But this is what it's looking like currently!! :)

Next step is getting some more rocks and hard-scaping it, I need to have like 3x the amount of rocks that I have already and after the paint dries I'll be able to set up the filters and eventually start to cycle. I decided to splurge on a new tattoo instead of buying the fish this month. Still trying to find a LFS with good quality so I won't have to spend $40 overnighting $150 worth of fish :/ and still doing research. It seems like every time I decide I see a pretty new species and change my mind lol. If the tank ends up looking good painted I may paint the back of my Goldie's tank too. Also project in the works: making my own LED light hood for the Goldie's and (one day) the cichlids. Been reading up and maybe once I start to cycle the 55 I can start that project. Ah! So many projects I don't know how I'm going to do them all.

The background looks great!!!!

Thanks! One more coat to paint then it's finished and on to the next project! :)

It's coming along nicely!:)

Liz Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX

It is so cool to watch the progression of your new tank adventure. Waiting for more on this saga...