Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Flipper

Quinn's QT thread- questions for the gurus :-)

I bought my blue oranda last Monday. I am unsure of gender :idont I have decided to name him Quinn after much uncertainty :D I believe this name goes either way, gender wise.

He weighs 78gm and is 3.5 inches in body length plus 2in with tail :o He's' been on 0.3% salt since Tues afternoon 10/26 and is currently being quarantined in a 10gal that I'm doing WCs on daily or 2x/day depending on the gunk factor of water :P

My first question if someone will be so kind. How much prazi should I use? Its the powder. Will you also show me the calculation of how you figured the answer please. :hmm And how many rounds must I do?! And from what I remember I shouldn't change the water every day when on prazi, right? So, should I fast Quinn and dose the tank with prime during this time? Keep going with 0.3% salt or decrease it? How do I know if I need double prazi or just regular strength? Sorry for slamming you all with these questions :idont

it says 10grams/1000gal on my prazi container

BTW Quinn says :hi to all the Kokonuts :nana

While I am not one of THE Gurus, I hereby declare myself a Junior Guru. :rofl Here goes.

If 10 grams treats 1000 gallons and you're treating 10 gallons, you divide by 100 (you're treating 1/100th of 1000 gallons . . . ) so you'll need 0.1 grams for 10 gallons. That is not much and I hope you have a scale that measures to 0.1 g. With the powdered Prazi, keep your salt at 0.3% and you don't need to double dose. :D

The number of rounds will probably be determined once you have started the treatment with Prazi. At least that's how I do it. :idont It depends on how dear Quinn reacts to the first couple of rounds. Keep us updated daily-ish and we can guide you as you treat. :D

Prazi is active for 4 days. However when treating in an uncycled QT, you'll need to change out the water daily. You'll go like this (7 day rounds):

Day 1: Salt and prazi

Day 2: 100% WC, salt and prazi

Day 3: 100% WC, salt and prazi

Day 4: 100% WC, salt and prazi

Days 5-7: 100% WC, salt, no prazi

End Round 1

Begin Round 2

Day 8: Repeat above starting with Day 1

Double dose Prime daily.

Any questions? :rofl3

Total no -guru inviting hereelf in! :peeka

It helps soooo much if you write down your schedule just like Lisa showed you. If you're a little, hmm :crazy: (like I am) write the dates also. :D start with the first week though, just so you won't have to start all over if Quinn needs a longer break. :)

While I am not one of THE Gurus, I hereby declare myself a Junior Guru. :rofl Here goes.

If 10 grams treats 1000 gallons and you're treating 10 gallons, you divide by 100 (you're treating 1/100th of 1000 gallons . . . ) so you'll need 0.1 grams for 10 gallons. That is not much and I hope you have a scale that measures to 0.1 g. With the powdered Prazi, keep your salt at 0.3% and you don't need to double dose. :D

The number of rounds will probably be determined once you have started the treatment with Prazi. At least that's how I do it. :idont It depends on how dear Quinn reacts to the first couple of rounds. Keep us updated daily-ish and we can guide you as you treat. :D

Prazi is active for 4 days. However when treating in an uncycled QT, you'll need to change out the water daily. You'll go like this (7 day rounds):

Day 1: Salt and prazi

Day 2: 100% WC, salt and prazi

Day 3: 100% WC, salt and prazi

Day 4: 100% WC, salt and prazi

Days 5-7: 100% WC, salt, no prazi

End Round 1

Begin Round 2

Day 8: Repeat above starting with Day 1

Double dose Prime daily.

Any questions? :rofl3

You are absolutely one of the gurus and I appreciate any and all help immensely :D Thanks for the calculation and breakdown and for writing down the days of treatment. :thumbs:

I started the prazi 0.1gm 5 minutes ago :)

No question as of this instant, but I'm sure some will follow in days to come :teehee

Total no -guru inviting hereelf in! :peeka

It helps soooo much if you write down your schedule just like Lisa showed you. If you're a little, hmm :crazy: (like I am) write the dates also. :D start with the first week though, just so you won't have to start all over if Quinn needs a longer break. :)

I think this is an excellent idea and am following your advice "write" now :thumbup2: Of coarse I value your opinion. I really hope Quinn won't need a long qt. I'm dying to put him in with a friend :happydance

Just a little update- Quinn is on her 3rd day of prazi with 0.3% salt. Doing 100 percent WC nightly and she seems to be doing good. No signs that I can see (knock on wood) of any parasites :nana:happydance

side bar... Quinn won't eat green stuff :idont I've tried peas and blanched spinach!!!!! :o All my other goldfish love peas and spinach but she sucks it up, mouths it for a few seconds and spits it out! What the heck?!!

Thanks for reading this and really thanks for replying :nana

Edited by Flipper

My kids won't eat green stuff either! :rofl

Keep trying. It's probably a new texture for her. :)

My kids won't eat green stuff either! :rofl

Keep trying. It's probably a new texture for her. :)

What a silly fish. She must not have gotten the memo that she is mostly a vegetarian :teehee

:rofl

Instead of veggies, you could do Repashy super green, although in some cases that doesn't do much to help keep things moving along. :o

How is she doing in the PP?

Instead of veggies, you could do Repashy super green, although in some cases that doesn't do much to help keep things moving along. :o

How is she doing in the PP?

Is PP also prazi? :idont She is doing good as far as I can tell. I took a video and have been trying to download it. I'll continue to try :)

I will make some Repashy tomorrow. :nana Quinn did eventually eat the spinach... It was just after about 30min, but I saw lots of green poops today when I changed the water. :happydance

PS. I think we need a poop icon :rofl3

Yes, this time PP = prazipro, but most of the time, it's potassium permanganate. :o:yikes:rofl

I'm glad you are on poop watch, like the rest of us. :rofl

It's so difficult to keep your PP straight around here PLUS we always ask about poop. What next? :yikes

It's so difficult to keep your PP straight around here PLUS we always ask about poop. What next? :yikes

Yes, and I don't have prazi pro. It's powdered stuff. Poop is very telling, eh :rofl

Yes, and I don't have prazi pro. It's powdered stuff. Poop is very telling, eh :rofl

The powder is just as good, and might actually be better, according to some people. :)

So, I'm going out of town from early Thursday to Sunday night :o Quinn will be in the bitty 10gal with sponge filter and no wc's during that time :no: Is this the end of the world? Should I run and get a 20long for her? :idont Still not noticing any signs of illness, but occasionally poop floats. No flashing or yawning.

Should I keep Quinn in praziquantel and salt during this time? How much is this gonna set back het qt? :thud

Edit: I just went downstairs to feed her. Long stringy whitish poop :(

Edited by Flipper

Oh my stars. I am almost positivie I replied to this yesterday. :o

Remind me where she is as far as QT--what round? what day? (or what days will Thurs-Sun be?)

The more water volume the better so I'd go get a 20 long or some sort of large bin. :D

Is there anyone around that you would trust to at least add Prime, say Fri/early Sat?

How's she doing today? :D

I love the name Quinn that picked out for your blue oranda. :) Very distinguished.

Oh my stars. I am almost positivie I replied to this yesterday. :o

Remind me where she is as far as QT--what round? what day? (or what days will Thurs-Sun be?)

The more water volume the better so I'd go get a 20 long or some sort of large bin. :D

Is there anyone around that you would trust to at least add Prime, say Fri/early Sat?

How's she doing today? :D

:tomuch: It cracks me up when you say oh my stars :) Ok. I'll get a 20 long tomorrow. I don't really trust any body with the fish. But I might be able to ask a neighbor. I really don't like giving anybody a key though (paranoid). Like half a cap full of prime? Quinn is doing good.

Today is day 8 of first round or maybe day 1 of second round :idont I haven't done my wc yet for the day. Should I still use salt and prazi? Should I give Quinn a break while I'm gone? Good grief.

Thanks for the help, Lisa

I love the name Quinn that picked out for your blue oranda. :) Very distinguished.

Thanks :heart It took me a while to pick the right name, but I like this one too :D

I'd like to add to all the above: Do a 100% WC right before you leave if you have the time/can do one. Perhaps fast Quinn the day before or at least feed lightly.

I have my qt fish in a 20 long also and am loving it. He has so much more room to swim around in also.

I'd like to add to all the above: Do a 100% WC right before you leave if you have the time/can do one. Perhaps fast Quinn the day before or at least feed lightly.I have my qt fish in a 20 long also and am loving it. He has so much more room to swim around in also.

Thanks. Good idea. I will do this ;)

If today is Day 8 (so Day 1 of Round 2), that is perfect! Add salt and prazi today through Thursday when you leave. Then if you can manage 100% WC before you go Thursday morning, just add the salt back in and double dose Prime. I"m assuming no one is feeding Quinn while gone? :idont

Then she will have a few days off and you can start Round 3 when you return. Did you double dose prazi and do 0.3% salt for round 1? ARe you using prazipro or powder?

If today is Day 8 (so Day 1 of Round 2), that is perfect! Add salt and prazi today through Thursday when you leave. Then if you can manage 100% WC before you go Thursday morning, just add the salt back in and double dose Prime. I"m assuming no one is feeding Quinn while gone? :idont

Then she will have a few days off and you can start Round 3 when you return. Did you double dose prazi and do 0.3% salt for round 1? ARe you using prazipro or powder?

Do you still want me using 0.3% salt. That's what I've been using with probably 1.5 dose praziquantel cuz I can't get the scale to read 0.1. Nobody will be feeding any of the fish. It's better that way I think. I'm using powder. I don't have any prazipro. I'll make sure to wake up extra early on Thursday to do a wc for my Quinn girl :) thanks again!

For the first 2 rounds lets do 0.3% salt. We will see how's she's doing upon your return and go from there.

When I got Peanut, Alex had me do just 2 rounds of Prazi and salt then I added him to my main tank and did one more round of Prazi, no salt. 5-6 rounds aren't ususally needed. When did you last Prazi the main tank?

April is the last time I prazied the main tank. I was thinking they were due as well ;) would I praziquantel that tank when I add Quinn or the week before :idont

Lets see how round 2 goes. Perhaps observe for a few days once you're home. If all is looking good, you could add her to the main tank and do round 3 in there. :)

Lets see how round 2 goes. Perhaps observe for a few days once you're home. If all is looking good, you could add her to the main tank and do round 3 in there. :)

That would be fantabulous :happydance:nana

Thanks a million!