Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tarannosaurus

Bubba floats every day.

• Test Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level(Tank) 0 ppm
    • * Nitrite Level(Tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level(Tank) 30 (Going to do a WC tomorrow)
    • * Ammonia Level(Tap) 0.5 (Reverse osmosis)
    • * Nitrite Level(Tap) 0 (With RO)
    • * Nitrate level(Tap) 5-10 (With RO)
    • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH: 7.4, KH: 107.4, GH: 17.9
    • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) pH: 6, KH: 17.9, GH: 17.9
    • Other Required Info:
      • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API MTJ
      • * Water temperature? 68 F
      • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallons, about two years
      • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? Fluval 305, AquaClear 110 and and AquaClear 20 (The 20 stays on the main tank for when I need to quarantine.)
      • * How often do you change the water and how much? 100% weekly
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 6 days ago, 100%
  • * How many fish in the tank and their size? 3, 4-7 inches
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, baking soda, Excel and I'm in the middle of a Prazi treatment
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Pro-Gold, gel-food, peas and spinach, 3 or 4 times a day
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? No
  • * Any medications added to the tank? Prazi
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment.
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Floating

My telescope goldfish Bubba floats every day. He sucks air all morning from the top of the tank and then he floats (usually by 4:00) for the rest of the day. Is he looking for more food? Is he bored? Or is he just trying to make me crazy? :wall

Nothing seems to be working. I feed him multiple times a day. (He gets some combination of Pro-Gold, gel-food, peas and spinach.) I have tried hitting the lid when he's sucking air and even touching him. Nothing seems to phase him. He's absolutely obsessed.

But I'm starting to wonder if it's something physiological, as opposed to something psychological. Is it possible that he has permanent swim bladder problems? If so, what else can I do?

20130829_193424_zps6bdf17d4.jpg

My Tsumo is a similar way. It has decreased greatly with the addition of constant access to greens. :)

Have you tried any other pellets but ProGold, or switching to a complete gel diet like Repashy?

Please do not tap the tank when he does this. :(

Edited by ChelseaM

My Tsumo is a similar way. It has decreased greatly with the addition of constant access to greens. :)

Have you tried any other pellets but ProGold, or switching to a complete gel diet like Repashy?

Please do not tap the tank when he does this. :(

My goldfish have always eaten Pro-Gold and I haven't tried Repashy. The gel food I feed is one of Alex's recipes. Is it really okay to switch to a complete gel diet? Well, I guess you would know. :)

I still feel like his behavior is a major cause of this, but I am running out of ideas to get him to stop. Although I haven't tried putting floating plants in his gulping spot yet.

My fish get floaty like that when I feed pro gold. I would try a different pellet. Goldfish react differently to foods. Some will be fine, and some might be floaty.

I am also wondering, when you do your water changes, how do you do them? That is quite a big difference in pH from tank and tap to do a water change right away unless you have water pre made with matching/close pH.

It is OK to switch to a gel-based diet completely. In fact, between a gel based and pellet based diet, the gel based diet is preferable. :)

What happens if you fast him for a day or two. Is he still floaty during those days? We need to find this out, so that we can rule whether it's food related or not. I suspect that it is.

My fish get floaty like that when I feed pro gold. I would try a different pellet. Goldfish react differently to foods. Some will be fine, and some might be floaty.

I am also wondering, when you do your water changes, how do you do them? That is quite a big difference in pH from tank and tap to do a water change right away unless you have water pre made with matching/close pH.

Water changes are a lot of work for me. The first thing I have to do is fill a bunch of water cooler jugs all week with reverse osmosis water. This process is very slow; it takes several hours to fill a four gallon jug of water. I have to use reverse osmosis because my tap water's nitrate reading is 60 ppm. When it's time to do a water change, I fill a bucket with tank water and place my fish inside. Then I siphon 100% of the water and add the RO water to the tank. I add Prime, baking soda and some other additives for my plants and then let the tank run for half an hour before adding the fish.

It is OK to switch to a gel-based diet completely. In fact, between a gel based and pellet based diet, the gel based diet is preferable. :)

What happens if you fast him for a day or two. Is he still floaty during those days? We need to find this out, so that we can rule whether it's food related or not. I suspect that it is.

I haven't tried fasting him for two days. I can try that and get back to you.

Edited by tarannosaurus

That must be a pain to do :(.

Why are you using RO water? May I know the parameters before the reverse osmosis?

That must be a pain to do :(.

Yeah. I don't know if there is a better way to do it though. I already complained to my water company and they told me that me and my test kit are wrong. So it's a dead end there.

Why are you using RO water? May I know the parameters before the reverse osmosis?

Tap:

pH: 7.4

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 30 ppm

Wow the nitrate reading improved! I tested twice to be sure. 30 is still pretty high but at least it's not in the 60 range. Maybe someone finally did something about it.

With those kinds of numbers, you are much better using it than RO, which causes you to lose a lot of other things.

I hope he feels better.

Awww... He is such a cutie!

One of my babies used to be obsessed with eating air bubbles right from the airstone. By the end of the day she would be floating upside down. It was driving me nuts! When I planted the tank and added some sand, she stopped almost instantly the air bubbles craziness and moved into nibbling on plants. She and my other fish tend to be prone to floatiness though so I stopped feeding them pellets. This seems to be helping too :)

With those kinds of numbers, you are much better using it than RO, which causes you to lose a lot of other things.

To be honest I'm not comfortable switching back to tap. It was measuring in the 60's for the past few months. The water quality in my county is something that is always being talked about in the news, and has been speculated to be a major cause of breast cancer in my area. I am still skeptical as to why the numbers have lowered, so I think I will stick with RO in the meantime. I would like to check the GH and KH levels too.

Awww... He is such a cutie!

One of my babies used to be obsessed with eating air bubbles right from the airstone. By the end of the day she would be floating upside down. It was driving me nuts! When I planted the tank and added some sand, she stopped almost instantly the air bubbles craziness and moved into nibbling on plants. She and my other fish tend to be prone to floatiness though so I stopped feeding them pellets. This seems to be helping too :)

Thank you. I planted my tank a little while ago to help lower nitrates. Luckily none of my goldfish eat them. That's great that she's doing better. I guess sometimes it just takes a little extra work to figure our what works best for them.

To be honest I'm not comfortable switching back to tap. It was measuring in the 60's for the past few months. The water quality in my county is something that is always being talked about in the news, and has been speculated to be a major cause of breast cancer in my area. I am still skeptical as to why the numbers have lowered, so I think I will stick with RO in the meantime. I would like to check the GH and KH levels too.

I don't have any problems with RO water, but unless you are making sure to add back trace and other minerals, this could be a huge source of your problems right here.

I don't have any problems with RO water, but unless you are making sure to add back trace and other minerals, this could be a huge source of your problems right here.

Bubba was doing this months before I switched to RO. I do understand that RO removes a lot from water though. Other than baking soda and Equilibrium, what else are you suggesting I should add to the water?

Just wanted to add my :twocents on pro gold. This is the only food that my fish were floaty on. There seemed to be a residue on the surface when I fed that which led them to try and eat it thus gulping the air :( I really wanted to like it since so many people on here love it but it was not for us.

Hopefully this problem is fixed for you soon. Bubba is such a cutie :)

I tried pro gold and my goldfish did not react well to it aswell.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you everyone for all the input. I am still fasting him to determine if it is the food or not. If it's not the food, I'll put floating plants in his gulping spot and see if that gets him to stop. Maybe I'll do that anyway though.

If he is not floaty tonight, I will assume that his Pro-Gold is the main problem here. What other brands would you guys suggest? Would it be best to switch to gel food? For all the fish? By the way, Bubba likes to be hand-fed (which is so much easier for him considering those eyes lol) so it is possible to feed him something different than the others.

Gel food is great, if it works for you. I recommend Repashy super green, with supplements of frozen blood worms, brine, mysis, etc. :)

Otherwise, try 1mm NLS Thera-A, 1.5mm Hikari Lionhead. Those are great pellets. :)

Gel food is great, if it works for you. I recommend Repashy super green, with supplements of frozen blood worms, brine, mysis, etc. :)

Otherwise, try 1mm NLS Thera-A, 1.5mm Hikari Lionhead. Those are great pellets. :)

Okay, thank you. Bubba was not floating last night after two days of fasting, so I will be switching his food.

Now, what else should I be adding to RO water?

I think Equilibrium is good. Did you say that you are adding baking soda as well?

I would check using a kH and gH kit to make sure that you are at 100-150 ppm for both.

I think Equilibrium is good. Did you say that you are adding baking soda as well?

I would check using a kH and gH kit to make sure that you are at 100-150 ppm for both.

Yep, I used your link to get the levels right. Thanks for getting back to me.

Well, I guess Pro-Gold wasn't the problem. He was looking a little floaty for a bit and now he's just upside down again. Here's a video:

th_20131105_1451261_zpsf74e4185.jpg

Now what? I fed him some gel food this morning and some blood worms a little while ago.

Sorry my dishwasher is so loud.

th_20131105_1515341_zpsdd7c0d3b.jpg

This is another video. It shows how he is floaty even when he's not upside down.

Edited by tarannosaurus