Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Honeygold

Temperature for Single Tails.

I read while reading some of the posts on here that it was recommended to keep the temp for GF's between 72 and 74 degrees. My question is does that apply to single tails as well? Or just fancies?

The temp here right now where I live as been jumping up and down a bit. For example, yesterday their temp was about 76 degrees. This morning I got up and it was 71 degrees. I have a mother that doesn't believe in running the heater until we are in the 50's. So I have been thinking about putting a heater back in their tank for stability. I know that BB arn't thrilled with cooler water either. I also don't cherish putting my hands in cold water . :P

I have a tendency to try and keep electrical appliances out of their water if possible, but for their health and well being I will promptly put in a heater if necessary.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. :D

The 72-74 temp was suggested by Johnson & Hess in their book as being ideal for a goldfish tank. My guess is that at this temp, digestion/metabolism is going at a brisk pace as well as the biological filter. For certain fancy goldfish who may have issues with food and digestion, perhaps this is a good thing.

Other than that, I personally do not see a need to keep the temps there, and prefer to let ambient temperature determine that of the tank. You just have to adjust your feeding accordingly. :)

I agree with Alex. Normal temp swings over the course of the day are normal, as are general shifts in temperature. As long as it is not too sudden there should be no problem. With fish that experience swim bladder issues I've found that keeping them on the warmer end of the spectrum seems to help, but other than that I leave mine at whatever the room temp makes it.

Yep, my redcap is kept at room temperature, in Norway, without central heat, all winter long. Your single tail should be fine at ambient room temperature.

Commons, single tails are cold water fish. I have read that they can overwinter in water that does not freeze, but have not personally tried this. Therefore, no heater is needed. I find that in the summer when the water gets warmer my commons and comets slow down a little. Now that it is colder they are more lively. I have never had a heater in my tank.

Mine is at 76ish but I also have 22 bristlenose plecos! :-)

Edited by fingers

I have them in a pond that even freezes over in winter at timeand they do fine the oldest is 19 years old.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The temperature range for sustained survival of common/comet goldfish is 0oC to 41oC.

Tiiu Ford and Thomaz L Beitinger. 2005. Temperature tolerance in the goldfish, Carassius auratus. Journal of Thermal Biology Vol 30 p 147.

"Results from this research and that of Fry et al. (1942) confirm that goldfish are extremely eurythermal. They are able to survive static temperatures between 0° and 41 °C and short-term exposures to temperatures close to 44 °C. ... Goldfish gained both heat and “cold” tolerance approximately equally and temperature tolerance endpoints changed by approximately 0.4 °C for each 1 °C change in acclimation temperature. ... This ability to tolerate such a wide range of temperatures obviously has contributed to the wide zoogeographic distribution and success of this species."

The temperature range for sustained survival of common/comet goldfish is 0oC to 41oC.

Tiiu Ford and Thomaz L Beitinger. 2005. Temperature tolerance in the goldfish, Carassius auratus. Journal of Thermal Biology Vol 30 p 147.

"Results from this research and that of Fry et al. (1942) confirm that goldfish are extremely eurythermal. They are able to survive static temperatures between 0? and 41 ?C and short-term exposures to temperatures close to 44 ?C. ... Goldfish gained both heat and “cold” tolerance approximately equally and temperature tolerance endpoints changed by approximately 0.4 ?C for each 1 ?C change in acclimation temperature. ... This ability to tolerate such a wide range of temperatures obviously has contributed to the wide zoogeographic distribution and success of this species."

In other words, goldfish are not simply cold water fish. :)

----------------------------

So why not just keep the temp at 72-74 or higher? This is because the lower temps means lower metabolism, and for fish, this means they essentially burn themselves out more slowly and will live longer.

Thank-you all so much for your input and advice. I knew I could count on all of you to give me good solid information. There is so much conflicting information on the internet it gives me a headache sometimes trying to muck through it.

Thanks Shakaho for the more in depth details. Looks like I can stop worrying about them when their temp reaches 82 in the summer as well. The more I learn about Goldfish the more I am amazed by them.

Alex, what is the name of that book? Maybe I will look into getting a copy of it, if I can.

Edited by Honeygold

The book is Fancy Goldfish by Johson & Hess. It's pretty old, but much of the info in there is still very relevant today. :)

The book is Fancy Goldfish by Johson & Hess. It's pretty old, but much of the info in there is still very relevant today. :)

Thank-you hun, I appreciate it. Every once in awhile I see an adorable fancy and think about setting up another tank. Sounds like this book would come in very handy.

Thank-you hun, I appreciate it. Every once in awhile I see an adorable fancy and think about setting up another tank. Sounds like this book would come in very handy.

It is actually a must-have for goldfish keepers, fancy or not. :)

It is actually a must-have for goldfish keepers, fancy or not. :)

I will definitely be on the look out for it then. I saw the title and thought it was geared more towards fancies. I know they are built differently and have somewhat different needs in some areas than single tails.

Edited by Honeygold

oops that is meant to say 2 bristlenose plecos, lol :-)

:rofl

I did think that you must have LOVED LOVED LOVED those BNs :rofl

:rofl

I did think that you must have LOVED LOVED LOVED those BNs :rofl

I thought that too and he had some adorable pleco babies.

Edited by Honeygold