Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hollyh

Hello

Hello,

Just bought 2 goldfish for my daughter a couple of weeks ago from Petsmart. 2 little fantails that she named Bronco and Zoom. Her daddy's a Denver Bronco's fan and she picked out the fish and name by herself. Made me laugh.

So we started with the 2 fish in a 4 gallon tank, plenty of room for them in there, they are soo tiny. Then I found Koko's website. Unfortunately we could only upgrade to a 10 gallon tank right now, we've got to wait to get a bigger tank until we move into our new house. Lots of time for me to figure out what to get! So many options, I'm leaning towards the 40B right now, have to see what I find. I love the planted tank looks that a few of you have, so clean and elegant, we're definitely going to go in that direction. Unless my 4 year old, pink loving little girl helps pick any more stuff out!

I've been checking the water daily (at least ammonia) and changing 3 gallons a day until we get some cycle going. Looking forward to that. Have a Fluval C3 filter on it now, which is probably to much flow for the poor things to swim in, but they seem ok. And I wanted a filter that I could put on the next tank, so went with something a little bigger. Some air bubbling in there too. No heater, but the house is always around 70, figured they'd be fine.

Here's a picture of them now. I've no weight or measurement on them, but thats a corner in the 10-gallon, so they're not that big. Bronco is the orange guy and Zoom the poky calico. Although, Zoom is quite the pig and faster than Bronco come food time! Even though Bronco is bigger.

003.jpg

I've got a few plants in there with them, sword plant, some java ferns, hornwort, and some water lettuce. Probably don't have the light for a couple of them, but we'll see.

Thanks for all the great information and the helpful community. You guys are great!

Welcome!! They are little cuties! I got into this because of my kids too, but now I have more goldfish than they do. :teehee I'm happy to see another fan of real plants! I love the look, and the fish love them too. :)

Your 10 will be OK awhile, but keep an eye on your parameters. Also, right now you should be testing for nitrite too -- once you start getting nitrite readings, you'll know you are starting to get a cycle. :thumb:

Cute little bellies on them already!! :D

If you really like live plants and your girly-girl is bored with green, I have found some gorgeous-looking silk plants in awesome neon colors! I have a giant purple one like this http://i.tfcdn.com/img2/oGek3kgAY0oVYmYoSC0pZsgoKSmw0tcvLy_XA_KT8_WS83P1HYuLgXL6BUX5KaXJJfGZuYnpqcX6FvoWBgYmJsaGZqbmBmbOelkF6QA*/fyVMtP8A.B that is my absolute favorite. Wrapping paper backgrounds are another fun, cheap way to change up the look of the tank, and that would be fun for her to pick, too!

:hi and :welcome

Sounds like you are doing great!

Hi and welcome! :hi

Glad to see you're keeping an eye on the water parameters for those cuties! They're so little :D

If you do have any questions about cycling or your test results, we'll be happy to help!

Good for you for looking out for your new pets! They're both cuties. I agree that the ten will be fine for a bit, especially since you're diligently changing and testing the water. The Fluval C3 is a good filter. I just upgraded one of my filters to a C4 and I'm very pleased with it thus far. :)

Hello and Welcome to the forum,

I loved reading your post. Your daughter picked out cute names for two cute little fish. I love your calico. Your tank looks cute also and love the big plant that we can see. :)

I also think the 10g tank will be okay for a short period for Bronco and Zoom. They will love the 40b if that's the upgrade you should choose on. I think you'll be happy with it also. I love the dimensions of the tank.

:hi welcome to the forum :)

Hello :) and Welcome to Koko's :)

Looks like your off to a good start :) Your 10 gallon should be ok for a while, I would suggest going for the 40B if you can, or even a 55 gallon setup for the future if you want more than two fish ;) lol

Welcome to the forum. :)

Welcome! Glad you found us :) the 40B is a great sized tank, keep an eye out for the petco dollar per gallon sale, that is the best time to buy a 40 ;)

Greetings friend!! :hi

Your fish look very nice .... welcome to the site. :welcome

Welcome to kokos!!!