Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
goldiegeek

No spawning at all?

Hi Guys,

I have two male and one female goldfish in a 50 gallon long aquarium. They are about four years old. I have had them for a year and have never seen any eggs. Is there anything special I should be doing? I saw a little chasing once, but nothing came of it. I have even gotten up at 5am to see what's up. Nada….

You are wanting them to spawn? Temperature needs to vary, more water changes, possible changes to the diet. The spring time is a good time to attempt a spawning, some people hibernate their fish for a few months at a cooler temperature to kick start spawning.

Do you have a heater in your tank?

You are wanting them to spawn? Temperature needs to vary, more water changes, possible changes to the diet. The spring time is a good time to attempt a spawning, some people hibernate their fish for a few months at a cooler temperature to kick start spawning.

Do you have a heater in your tank?

I knew about the simulating spring thing. I just figured after a year it would have happened naturally. No heater in the tank, but I do have one. The temp is 67.5 to 70. So I guess if I were to raise the temp a bit it might kick start the "spring"? More protein too, right? I do water changes twice a week, would doubling that be sufficient? I have always wanted to try raising fry, but it's never happened naturally. Thanks so much for your help:)

Time an increase of water changes around the full moon or when a storm is going to approach. Not all goldfish are kept in conditions where they breed. Mine have only ever bred in a pond.

Tank spawnings are still rather rare.

:goodpost

I hope you get some fry one day seeing you've been wanting to raise some.

I'm the opposite. And am good with having none. I'd be too worried.

Time an increase of water changes around the full moon or when a storm is going to approach. Not all goldfish are kept in conditions where they breed. Mine have only ever bred in a pond.

Good to know that some don't spawn in tanks. I was starting to think there was something wrong. Full moon, eh? I'll certainly try that:)

I hope you get some fry one day seeing you've been wanting to raise some.

I'm the opposite. And am good with having none. I'd be too worried.

Oh, there would be worry lol. I guess it's the science behind it that interests me...

I will admit that I was trying an experiement on one of my tanks to see how high the nitrates would get (don't freak out! It is a heavily planted tank and the nitrates never got above 5). After 3 weeks I got nervous and did a huge water change. The fish spawned for the first time for me two days later. I think this also coincided with a weather change.

I will admit that I was trying an experiement on one of my tanks to see how high the nitrates would get (don't freak out! It is a heavily planted tank and the nitrates never got above 5). After 3 weeks I got nervous and did a huge water change. The fish spawned for the first time for me two days later. I think this also coincided with a weather change.

Sounds like your timing was perfect.

Good to know that some don't spawn in tanks. I was starting to think there was something wrong. Full moon, eh? I'll certainly try that:)

Pharoh my beloved Orand only bred 2 times in all the 8 years I had him... :o

I believe diet plays a big role :o My goldfish only started spawning after I switched them over to a new diet. I was feeding them bloodworms, peas, repashy, and HL pellets, all in one day. They spawned after every large water change (90%), and before/during/after days that rained. When I started only feeding pellets, the males barely produced any milt.

I've had goldfish for 6 years now, only about 2 years in actual proper conditions, but I've only ever seen chasing :P I think the conditions have to be absolutely perfect for them to actually breed. I think it would be fun to try rising fry but at the same time I don't think I'd have time to deal with it lol

I think if you keep your water conditions pristine and do large weekly water changes, you'll get them to spawn. And keep a heater in your tank too. My fish have been spawning weekly in two separate tanks for the past two months. I feed hikari pellets for breakfast, greens for lunch and either blood worms or brine shrimp for dinner. It's keeping them happy. :)

Edited by Scarlett

Mine have only spawned once (well multiple spawnings in a 3 week period) in the last 2 years. I see chasing sometimes but it doesn't seem to lead to much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I had my pearlscales in a 29 gallon tank, the male would chase the female, but nothing would ever happen of it. A few weeks after they had been placed in their new home, a 75 gallon tank, they spawned, then subsequently spawned weekly for the next three weeks. That was in June and July, so it was more spawning season then than now. Recently I have had all four of my males chasing my female relentlessly, but nothing has ever happened from it.

I believe diet plays a big role :o My goldfish only started spawning after I switched them over to a new diet. I was feeding them bloodworms, peas, repashy, and HL pellets, all in one day. They spawned after every large water change (90%), and before/during/after days that rained. When I started only feeding pellets, the males barely produced any milt.

Great point. I should maybe be adding all the foods I feed every day rather than a weekly schedule.

Mine have only spawned once (well multiple spawnings in a 3 week period) in the last 2 years. I see chasing sometimes but it doesn't seem to lead to much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's exactly what my guys are doing.