Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tarannosaurus

Looking to get a UV Sterilizer

I have been thinking a lot lately about getting a UV sterilizer. Does anyone have a good one that they would recommend?

I'm getting the SunSun canister filter. I believe Alex and Helen has that filter. It has a built in UV light :). I'm getting it for a Christmas present. Unknown they both like it though :).

I think that I am getting a sun-sun too... at least my suspicion is that the Allpondssolution filter sold in Britain is a Sun-Sun. If so, you can check out Phillyn's posts about them.

I think that I am getting a sun-sun too... at least my suspicion is that the Allpondssolution filter sold in Britain is a Sun-Sun. If so, you can check out Phillyn's posts about them.

It is.. most of their stuff is

I would venture to say emperor aquatics uv's are the best. Goldfish connection sells one of their line but you can get different sized ones on other sites. I own the gfc one. I think I might have done a review on it here.

The most important thing is getting a pump that has the correct flow for the uv you are using (flow needs to be correct for it to be effective), the gfc one is nice because it comes with a pump and everything. Emperor has lists online regarding how much wattage/flow rate you need to kill certain things. Canister uv's are typically lower wattage and higher flow rate so killing power is limited (for example most canister uv's are designed to prevent green water but not kill parasites)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jess is correct. The UV in that canister is for green water only. So don't get it If you want it for bacteria.

What is the benefit of a UV sterilizer?

Getting rid of my perpetually green water :)

Ah, OK. I've never had that. What causes it? It's actually supposed to be a GOOD thing, isn't it?

I'm more concerned about bacteria and parasites than green water. I've never had green water before but I know it's not bad for goldfish. It would probably still drive me crazy though.

I would venture to say emperor aquatics uv's are the best. Goldfish connection sells one of their line but you can get different sized ones on other sites. I own the gfc one. I think I might have done a review on it here.

The most important thing is getting a pump that has the correct flow for the uv you are using (flow needs to be correct for it to be effective), the gfc one is nice because it comes with a pump and everything. Emperor has lists online regarding how much wattage/flow rate you need to kill certain things. Canister uv's are typically lower wattage and higher flow rate so killing power is limited (for example most canister uv's are designed to prevent green water but not kill parasites)

I would love to get that UV sterilizer, Jess! :D unjust read about it and it's amazing and would work wonders for removing any bacteria and parasites I might and do have :P I don't think it would fly with the mother at a whipping 300 dollars. :peeka

I had the mega jebo uv. It comes with its own pump but I rigged it into my monster canister. I can honestly say that I didn't notice any changes in health for my fish, but it did a great job of throwing off my cycle :P

Can you use one in a planted tank,?

what about when useing plant Food With it ?

I`ve got one, but never have used it...( hang in tank kind )

And if you have a placo, would it kill all the aglae ?

Was thinking of useing it as it dose 500 l/t. Am just not sure.

I had the mega jebo uv. It comes with its own pump but I rigged it into my monster canister. I can honestly say that I didn't notice any changes in health for my fish, but it did a great job of throwing off my cycle :P

OK that dont sound good...At all.

Can you use one in a planted tank,?

what about when useing plant Food With it ?

I`ve got one, but never have used it...( hang in tank kind )

And if you have a placo, would it kill all the aglae ?

Was thinking of useing it as it dose 500 l/t. Am just not sure.

You can use A UV sterilizer in a planted aquarium. There is some evidence to suggest that under certain conditions a UV sterilizer may effect chelated metals that are in trace fertilizers, but generally speaking I don't believe it's a big concern.

Regarding the play go, I wish that the UV sterilizers would get rid of all the algae in a tank however it does not. A UV sterilizer only kills things that it comes in contact with. So Algae that is on your tank walls or on your plants is not going to be affected only free-floating forms of algae such as green water will be affected.

I'll say that I never had a cycle bump using my UV sterilizer and I have quite a large one for the tank size that it was being used on. You don't want to use the UV sterilizer when your cycle is new though. I'm sure there are other conditions where the cycle might be affected as well but I wouldn't worry about it too much just test the water once in a while.

I'll say that I never had a cycle pump using my UV sterilizer and I have quite a large one for the tank size that it was being used on. You don't want to use the UV sterilizer when your cycle is new though. I'm sure there are other conditions where the cycle might be affected as well but I wouldn't worry about it too much just test the water once in a while.

When I say monster UV. I mean 29 watt :o

Ah, OK. I've never had that. What causes it? It's actually supposed to be a GOOD thing, isn't it?

I've posted this picture before, but this is classic green water. Green water does seem to be good for fish but it also can hide things that are not so good. Newton has done well with his green water for some months now, but the water quality seems to be diminishing. I want the stuff gone.

P1015289.jpg

Edited by motherredcap

Mine is finally gone! However, I would still like the 525GPH gilter for the filtration and the UV to make it even clearer then i is now. :)

I'll say that I never had a cycle pump using my UV sterilizer and I have quite a large one for the tank size that it was being used on. You don't want to use the UV sterilizer when your cycle is new though. I'm sure there are other conditions where the cycle might be affected as well but I wouldn't worry about it too much just test the water once in a while.

When I say monster UV. I mean 29 watt :o

Mines a 25 watt that was on my 40 gallon :P