Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
goldiegeek

Commercial foods

Hi Guys,

I just started feeding my guys Hikari Lionhead food. I have to say, their poop is looking amazing (well, as amazing as poop can look haha). I was shocked, they are all (after a month), looking bigger and brighter and happier in general. It is so consistent in size that I can hold each piece to hand feed (I am anal about waste in my tanks). Just wondering which commercial foods you guys use or have used, good or bad and what the results were.

I use mainly Hikari Lionhead and couldn't be any happier! I also occasionally feed Omega 1 small sinking pellets, and Pro-gold. I also feed blood worms and when I'm not lazy, repashy.

I've feeding mine flakes but have learned to switch. Most have told me Omega One is good. Has anyone tried the Tetra Special Goldfish pellets?

I just got some Hikari Lionhead and am happy with it. I also really really like New Life Spectrum Thera A 1 mm sinking pellets. :D I feed ProGold also.

I need to get some of this better quality sinking food. Thanks for the reminder!

I'm not sure what I want to feed mine, currently they're on the green Saki Hikari bag. However, I think Phoenix gets a bit floaty on it sometimes. I'm not sure if it's the food or if I was just feeding too much though, it's been a while since the last float. Either way, I would like to try something different to test my theory, but I would like to find something that won't turn Ghost yellow. I suppose I want to avoid any colour enhancing foods, which is unfortunatly fairly hard to find. Any suggestions?

I'm feeding ProGold, Hikari Lionhead and I'm trying out Saki Hikari. They love all three but I don't like how big the ProGold pellets are. I love Lionhead but haven't used it long enough to see changes yet.

I'm not sure what I want to feed mine, currently they're on the green Saki Hikari bag. However, I think Phoenix gets a bit floaty on it sometimes. I'm not sure if it's the food or if I was just feeding too much though, it's been a while since the last float. Either way, I would like to try something different to test my theory, but I would like to find something that won't turn Ghost yellow. I suppose I want to avoid any colour enhancing foods, which is unfortunatly fairly hard to find. Any suggestions?

I think that the algae based foods are what brings out the yellow so repashy and the such. I'm not sure if color enhancing foods would but I could be wrong. I love the yellow ting though :P

I think that the algae based foods are what brings out the yellow so repashy and the such. I'm not sure if color enhancing foods would but I could be wrong. I love the yellow ting though :P

I never thought of that. Does kind of make sense though. Hopefully more people will chime in. I like ghost the way she is, she's really pretty in white. Suppose I'd have to rename her if she somehow turns into a sun though. :P

Might be useful for other's who like white fish to be white too. :)

Hikari Gold
Ingredients
Fish meal, flaked corn, wheat flour, soybean meal, krill meal, gluten meal, enzyme, DL-methionine, canthaxanthin, astaxanthin, garlic, monosodium glutamate, and vitamins and minerals including stabilized Vitamin C.

Dont like the fact there is MSG and Gluten in this one.. :nope:

Lionhead
Ingredients
Fish meal, wheat flour, krill meal, carotenoid fortifier, soybean protein, spirulina, seaweed meal, enzyme, DL-methionine, monosodium glutamate, garlic, and vitamins and minerals including stabilized Vitamin C.

MSG in this one too,

I use New Life Spectrum.

Edited by dnalex
fixed font size

I've feeding mine flakes but have learned to switch. Most have told me Omega One is good. Has anyone tried the Tetra Special Goldfish pellets?

That's what I was using before. I did notice a quality difference for sure.

Sorry, you got me at 'anal about waste' :booty

I was going to "no pun intended". haha!

Hikari Gold

Ingredients

Fish meal, flaked corn, wheat flour, soybean meal, krill meal, gluten meal, enzyme, DL-methionine, canthaxanthin, astaxanthin, garlic, monosodium glutamate, and vitamins and minerals including stabilized Vitamin C.

Dont like the fact there is MSG and Gluten in this one.. :nope:

Lionhead

Ingredients

Fish meal, wheat flour, krill meal, carotenoid fortifier, soybean protein, spirulina, seaweed meal, enzyme, DL-methionine, monosodium glutamate, garlic, and vitamins and minerals including stabilized Vitamin C.

MSG in this one too,

Thanks for the info! I never even looked (bad mommy).

My current pellet rotation consists of Pro-Gold, New Life Spectrum, and Omega One. I also feed bloodworms\brine shrimp every other day or when I can. There has been some discussion on the preservative Ethoxoquin in the Omega One formula, but I honestly don't mind it. A lot of members here feed it, and there are really no negative effects. New Life Spectrum is by far my favorite. I love the variety of pellet sizes they offer. The smallest size for goldfish is 1 mm and my little guys gobble it up quickly and digest it better; they're not spending minutes chewing their food. Pro-Gold is a very good quality food as well, they are not compressed into identically sized pellets. as all commercial foods are, but instead are in random sizes. They absorb water quite quickly and don't need to soak for any longer than 30 seconds. When the fish eat it, it's very soft and chewed easily.

I can't tell you how this has affected their growth, honestly. My goldfish are quite stunted and they grow slowly. Since switching them to a higher quality pellet, they are doing very well. I might say they've grown a few millimeters, but I may be paranoid. I'm hoping they'll grow more in the next few months.

I'm thinking of trying Hikari Lionhead- does it work well with single tails? Will it help them grow or is it just for wens? :idont

My current pellet rotation consists of Pro-Gold, New Life Spectrum, and Omega One. I also feed bloodworms\brine shrimp every other day or when I can. There has been some discussion on the preservative Ethoxoquin in the Omega One formula, but I honestly don't mind it. A lot of members here feed it, and there are really no negative effects. New Life Spectrum is by far my favorite. I love the variety of pellet sizes they offer. The smallest size for goldfish is 1 mm and my little guys gobble it up quickly and digest it better; they're not spending minutes chewing their food. Pro-Gold is a very good quality food as well, they are not compressed into identically sized pellets. as all commercial foods are, but instead are in random sizes. They absorb water quite quickly and don't need to soak for any longer than 30 seconds. When the fish eat it, it's very soft and chewed easily.

I can't tell you how this has affected their growth, honestly. My goldfish are quite stunted and they grow slowly. Since switching them to a higher quality pellet, they are doing very well. I might say they've grown a few millimeters, but I may be paranoid. I'm hoping they'll grow more in the next few months.

I'm thinking of trying Hikari Lionhead- does it work well with single tails? Will it help them grow or is it just for wens? :idont

I've been doing some research and found that most of the people who use the Hikari Lionhead (from hobbyist to breeder), feed it to all types of goldfish with great results. Geez, I promise, I am not a company rep :) I am feeding it to my wenless guys and they have grown for sure. I am running seven tanks, so I don't have the opportunity to really observe all of them every day. I swear, even after three days, they look bigger. It's almost scary.

I use Blackwater Creek Max Growth -- small pellets. But that's small pellets for koi. I use Omega one pellets for the guys who find the koi pellets too big.

I've been doing some research and found that most of the people who use the Hikari Lionhead (from hobbyist to breeder), feed it to all types of goldfish with great results. Geez, I promise, I am not a company rep :) I am feeding it to my wenless guys and they have grown for sure. I am running seven tanks, so I don't have the opportunity to really observe all of them every day. I swear, even after three days, they look bigger. It's almost scary.

Awesome! If I ever win the Tasty Worms raffle maybe I'll pick up a bag. Sounds promising! :D

I usually feed lionhead when I can get it, and that's mainly because I find it easiest to feed and really like it

I was always really happy with Lionhead, although I was never crazy about the amount of yellowing some of my fish experienced.

I've been feeding my guys hikari oranda (red pack floating food) but have literally just changed to tetra Japan gold which is a sinking food. Never used flakes. But feed a lot of frozen food and peas with the odd bit of repashy super green thrown in.

Koko,

The MSG may be bad for some of us (like you and me), but I am not sure that we can say the same with fish. I mean, there are lots of things that we eat that are OK for us, but not for our pets.

Koko,

The MSG may be bad for some of us (like you and me), but I am not sure that we can say the same with fish. I mean, there are lots of things that we eat that are OK for us, but not for our pets.

I also think because goldfish do not live as long as people (average for fancies seems to be 5-7yrs) you won't always see long term affects of some things that may crop up in longer lived organisms.

Koko,

Koko,

I also think because goldfish do not live as long as people (average for fancies seems to be 5-7yrs) you won't always see long term affects of some things that may crop up in longer lived organisms.

Yeah I understand that, but Let me ask you this would you still feed this to your other pets... even though you might not know what it will do... why do it knowing what it will do to you... thats my point and Im sticking to it..

There is also the part, though, where the fish food industry is not regulated. Other companies could have MSG in their list of ingredients and not disclose.

Hikari is a Japanese brand, and in Asia, using MSG is not a big deal. So, they disclose.

It's entirely possible that Pro-Gold, Omega One, NLS, and all these other companies have it, too. We just don't know it. :yikes