Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
shakaho

Article on Aquarium Water Chemistry

While searching for an answer I had about minerals in water, I came upon this article: Aquarium Chemistry, which is loaded with information. It has a link to this article about use of RO, soft, and softened water in aquariums. These are fairly sophisticated articles -- thus slow reading -- without being hopelessly technical.

I'd run across this article a few years ago and you're right,it has a lot of good reading and thought-provoking information. Thanks for posting it!

While searching for an answer I had about minerals in water, I came upon this article: Aquarium Chemistry, which is loaded with information. It has a link to this article about use of RO, soft, and softened water in aquariums. These are fairly sophisticated articles -- thus slow reading -- without being hopelessly technical.

With all due respect, this site is nothing but a vehicle for him trying to sell things.

For example, while my chemistry is probably not where it should be, but how does baking soda not maintain as stable a pH as others. We all know that alkalinity is alkalinity. If the kH is 150ppm, then it is 150, and offers exactly that much stability, whether it's from bicarbs or carbs. Not only does this not make sense, I also have my own, as well as Jeff's amazing record keeping of how well baking soda has worked for it, and stable!

Perhaps I am wrong, but then I would hope for a thorough chemistry explanation of this rather interesting phenomenon.

My readings for academic sources also somehow neglected to mention this requirement.

Finally, yes, I agree that calcium and magnesium are essentials.

My take on this site is that while it's nice, everything bears scrutiny. He freely mixes real and adverts for commercial products.

Shoot that was way too long. Lost interest after a couple minutes.

With all due respect, this site is nothing but a vehicle for him trying to sell things.

For example, while my chemistry is probably not where it should be, but how does baking soda not maintain as stable a pH as others. We all know that alkalinity is alkalinity. If the kH is 150ppm, then it is 150, and offers exactly that much stability, whether it's from bicarbs or carbs. Not only does this not make sense, I also have my own, as well as Jeff's amazing record keeping of how well baking soda has worked for it, and stable!

Perhaps I am wrong, but then I would hope for a thorough chemistry explanation of this rather interesting phenomenon.

My readings for academic sources also somehow neglected to mention this requirement.

Finally, yes, I agree that calcium and magnesium are essentials.

My take on this site is that while it's nice, everything bears scrutiny. He freely mixes real and adverts for commercial products.

I agree with this. While he does have some things I agree with and very good points, there are many things I disagree with. I view that site as mostly a selling site. I lost a good bit of respect for that site when I discovered full page write ups targeting other community forums (and specific threads) whos members had expressed negative views about that site and, in my personal opinion, ranting about them. These other sites did not write up full page articles bringing him down. I thought it was very distasteful to target specific threads in certain forums and do a full page write up being on the defensive.

I believe everyone has there own opinion about everything and should be respected for them no matter how much I may disagree.

Thanks Alex for the links, I'm going to peruse them.

Edited by Honeygold