Kokos Goldfish Forum
Mikey

Easy Water Change :)

Since my python/water changer broke my plumbing in both of my bathrooms (Not saying it will happen to yours) I came up with an idea of how to do quick and easy water changes without using any of my sinks!

First, I got a 264 GPH pond pump from Harbor Freight. Pond Pump I Bought

Then, since I already had tubing from my water changer, I just used the correct size that came with the pump. :).

I then put the pump in my tank and connected the tube and ran it to my bathtub

null_zpsaaa0fb5a.png

null_zpsadabd5d0.jpg

As for filling it, I just reversed it. But playing with the water output from my tub was a little tricky, but I got it to work. :)

null_zps24f40ac0.jpg

(I had to lower it a lot but still filled the same)

I then got a plate and put it in my tank and put my hose through one of my terracotta pots and put that on my plate so the sand wasn't disrupted.

(This was just a step I chose to do, you don't have to use the pot)

null_zpsa9ae951f.jpg

The last step is to sit back and watch your tank fill. :) Water changes are so easy now and almost mess free!

This post has been promoted to an article

How would the python break your bathroom faucet? All you do is screw it on.

That's a neat DIY, though. I may use something similar in the future for my fry tank.

I really don't know how. And I needed an attachment so I think that's what broke it. it also leaks. :doh11:

I'm glad you got a system working for you, Mikey! :)

Cool idea.

Thats an Awesome idea hun :)

Thanks Koko!

Great idea, Mikey! :)

How do you suck up all the poop and debris with a pond pump, though?

Mikey, how far do you pump the water? Do you go up a floor or is it all on the main floor?

What a great backup plan :) thanks for sharing :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

The filter gets it :) I never see any poop on the sand. Plus it's compacted so it doesn't go in. I just swish it around a little and drain it :).

Mikey, how far do you pump the water? Do you go up a floor or is it all on the main floor?

I pump it 25 feet. :) and I live in a ranch. ;)

What a great backup plan :) thanks for sharing :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Thank you :).

The filter gets it :) I never see any poop on the sand. Plus it's compacted so it doesn't go in. I just swish it around a little and drain it :).

The filter in the pond pump? My fish poop so much, my barebottom gets covered with it. :rofl

Does the suction of the pump pose any threat to sucking up a fish?-how fast is the suction?

Sorry to bother you with all these questions. :peeka

The filter in the pond pump? My fish poop so much, my barebottom gets covered with it. :rofl

Does the suction of the pump pose any threat to sucking up a fish?-how fast is the suction?

Sorry to bother you with all these questions. :peeka

My filter :) I have 2 Aquaclear 70's on my tank and find it works very well :). I'm getting a uv canister at 525 GPH for Christmas :)

As for the suction of the pump, I don't see any hazard to the fish my weakest one (Merlin) has swam over it any nothing. And it's also covered like a normal filter intake would be :). And it is rated at 264 gallons per hour.

Your not bothering me at all :). I am happy to answer any questions you or anyone else may have :D

That is awesome. What a smarty pants. :) I loved what you did Mikey. I even loved your photo's more with you explaining it all. (which reminds me, it's been awhile since I've cked out that one thread. Remember? ) And wait, you forgot to mention that you have to plug in the pump. Great Idea. I'm keeping this in the back of my mind/brain. ha ha

Thanks Cheryl!

Mikey, it's really ingenious! Good going. :)

Thank you :)

Excellent idea Mikey :thumbs:

Do you think this would be an alternative for peops who can't use the python cause they don't have the proper faucet/hardware to attach it? :idont I'm ridiculously sick of hauling buckets for my 55 and 29 gal tank! :D

Great Idea! My aqueon broke my last sink, but I replaced it easy.

Excellent idea Mikey :thumbs:

Do you think this would be an alternative for peops who can't use the python cause they don't have the proper faucet/hardware to attach it? :idont I'm ridiculously sick of hauling buckets for my 55 and 29 gal tank! :D

yup. I don't even use a sink! I only use my tub. :)

Thats how I change my water. When I bought my pump they were having a sale. I think I paid $14 for it. No ore buckets and no more splashing on my hardwood floors.

Thats how I change my water. When I bought my pump they were having a sale. I think I paid $14 for it. No ore buckets and no more splashing on my hardwood floors.

I have hardwood floors in my room :thud you would not believe how many times I've almost flooded my room and how many times I actually have :yikes I still get water on the floor, but that's unavoidable :teehee

I had laminate flooring installed in my condo which definitely isn't water friendly.

I use the Aqueon water changer which is hooked up to my guest bathtub.

However what I do in front of the tank to keep water off the floor is lay one of those paper lined tarps used for painting. It's cheap to replace, had paper to not become slippery when wet and is lined with plastic to prevent the water from penetrating.

Works like a charm. :)

Goldsguy

120-gallon

Four Comets

I do the same:) Can't use the python and maintaining 6 tanks that are not small with buckets was just too much. This method works like a charm. Great pics!

This is an awesome idea! I've heard this mentioned a lot on Koko's lately and I'm thinking I'm going to go for it since doing buckets for my 40b is kind of a pain and I can't hook up a Python to my sinks. I might have to use buckets to fill it still but that's the easier, faster part anyway. ;) I think I'll be getting the same pump as you Mikey, so my question is...what size tubing should I buy to fit it? I'm not super good with that sort of thing. Bonus points if the same site that sells the pump sells the tubing and someone can give me a link on the site. I'm not sure what length I'll need yet so I just need to know what size fits onto the 264 gph pump for now.