Kokos Goldfish Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Georgia

Preserving pellet foods?

So, I'm pretty sure you can freeze them, but I just want a second opinion. I recently bought some Omega One and New Life Spectrum, they're really good quality (and expensive!) foods, so I don't want to mess anything up. I opened them about a month ago, so I guess it's best to preserve some while it's still fresh. It expires in 2014, and there's no way I'll get through the whole container by then. :o I just have a few questions:

~How do you go about freezing it? Just put some in a ziploc bag?

~Does it lose it's taste and\or nutritional value when thawed?

~Does it become soggy when thawed?

~How long can the food last in the freezer? How long does it last when thawed?

If there's any other methods of preserving pellets, please share. But I think I'm most comfortable by freezing it. :)

I don't freeze them. I typically leave it in its original packaging or a ziploc Baggie. I usually don't get through it all before it expires either so I end up tossing it when it gets to the expiration date. :idont.

I don't think you could freeze pellets. The thawing process would make them wet and mushy from condensation.

You could do like Alex does and rotate the foods you feed, so that the fish get a little bit of each every day/week/etc. :idont

Edited by ChelseaM

Really? I could of swore that you could freeze them. :idont Maybe that was Repashy.

You see, my fish are only 2 inches, and going through the 150 gram container of NLS by June 2014 seems impossible. Omega One expires in 2016, so I guess I'll be okay with that.

The foods I rotate currently are NLS, Omega One, Pro-Gold, bloodworms, and brine shrimp.

I wish these companies sold their pellets in smaller sized containers. :(

Yep, you can freeze Repashy. :)

I rotate a few different foods too. I have 4 fish and I still don't expect to get through most of it before it expired. I've sent some to other members that wanted to try some but, yeah, my ProGold is just about done . . . :(

But I really like feeding a variety so I guess I just have to plan on tossing some of it, unfortunately. :idont

Yep, only repashy.

You could always turn the pellets into a gel and freeze that. Just crush the pellets into a powder, weigh it, and distribute it evenly into whatever gel you use. (I'd use just unflavored gelatin.) Cut the set gel into cubes based on your fish's current weight, then package and freeze. Make sure to label the bag with the 'pellet count' of the cubes. You can alter the amount you feed when you thaw out the gel.

If you have access to one of those Food Saver vacuum sealers, those work great. I used to use my friend's back when I bought pellets in bigger quantities. Kept it super-fresh till I opened the packets as needed.

I always get a lot of food, and then I get my friends to try some for their fish. :)

Sharon says you can freeze fish foods, much in the way people freeze flour. Just package it well, whatever that means. :)

Yep, only repashy.

You could always turn the pellets into a gel and freeze that. Just crush the pellets into a powder, weigh it, and distribute it evenly into whatever gel you use. (I'd use just unflavored gelatin.) Cut the set gel into cubes based on your fish's current weight, then package and freeze. Make sure to label the bag with the 'pellet count' of the cubes. You can alter the amount you feed when you thaw out the gel.

Great idea, Chelsea!! :) I never really had interest in making gel foods, but this sounds really easy, I might try it! Should it be equal parts of gelatin and crushed pellet? Do you recommend anything else to add to the mixture, other than pellets and gelatin?

If you have access to one of those Food Saver vacuum sealers, those work great. I used to use my friend's back when I bought pellets in bigger quantities. Kept it super-fresh till I opened the packets as needed.

Hello. :hi

I asked mom if we had a vacuum sealer, and it turns out we do! :happydance

How do you seal yours? You you arrange the pellets into a flat sheet, or just a small pile? Also, should I store it in the freezer\refrigerator after sealing or just in the closet?

Yep, only repashy.

Great idea, Chelsea!! :) I never really had interest in making gel foods, but this sounds really easy, I might try it! Should it be equal parts of gelatin and crushed pellet? Do you recommend anything else to add to the mixture, other than pellets and gelatin?

The more fresh things you add, the lower the freezer life is, so I would keep it simple. Just follow the directions on the packet of gelatin. I like Knox's unflavored gelatin. ;)

Dee has a wonderful idea too!!

I try to dig to the back of the store shelves for later expiration dates (like 2016). The stores tend to put the packages with nearer expirations in front.

I keep my pellets in a cool, dark place and use smaller containers for weeklly feeding. That way I don't have to open the main container every time I feed and expose the food to air and light.

Edited by jmetzger72

I try to dig to the back of the store shelves for later expiration dates (like 2016). The stores tend to put the packages with nearer expirations in front.

I keep my pellets in a cool dark place and use small amounts in separate containers for daily feeding. That way I don't have to open the main container every time I feed and expose the food to air and light.

OMG are we twins separated at birth? :yikes:tomuch:

I keep my pellets in a cool dark place and use small amounts in separate containers for daily feeding. That way I don't have to open the main container every time I feed and expose the food to air and light.

Maybe?

I think this has already been established, GF food hoarders. :lol2

I think this has already been established, GF food hoarders. :lol2

You are almost there yourself!

Mwahahahahahahaha

I keep my pellets in a cool, dark place and use smaller containers for weeklly feeding. That way I don't have to open the main container every time I feed and expose the food to air and light.

I actually try to do that too, but I forgot this time! :wall

Thank the heavens for vacuum sealers, though!

Hello. :hi

I asked mom if we had a vacuum sealer, and it turns out we do! :happydance

How do you seal yours? You you arrange the pellets into a flat sheet, or just a small pile? Also, should I store it in the freezer\refrigerator after sealing or just in the closet?

Shouldn't matter if you arrange them flat or in a pile. The vacuum sealer will suck all the air out either way. I used to just put a month's worth of food (or thereabouts) into the packet, then seal. Store in a cool dry place (no need to refrigerate).

I love vacuum sealers! :o :O

GRRRRR - I ordered Hikari Lionhead food from Ebay and got it today . YUP - it will be expiring in two weeks . ( jokes on me I guess ) Anyway - Do I blow a gasket on this guy OR if I seal it , will it be OK ? I have read different opinions on the web , BUT - this forum is pretty anti expired food ....not sure what to do . ( I know it cant be good today and bad tomorrow .... some suggested turning it into a gel . )

Any further conversation / explanation is appreciated ~

Definitely gel it.

-Using Tapatalk.

GRRRRR - I ordered Hikari Lionhead food from Ebay and got it today . YUP - it will be expiring in two weeks . ( jokes on me I guess ) Anyway - Do I blow a gasket on this guy OR if I seal it , will it be OK ? I have read different opinions on the web , BUT - this forum is pretty anti expired food ....not sure what to do . ( I know it cant be good today and bad tomorrow .... some suggested turning it into a gel . )

Any further conversation / explanation is appreciated ~

:yikes

Definitely blow a gasket on the seller. That's pretty crummy of him. I know that with the Hikari Lionhead that I am getting from our sponsor, tastyworms.com, the expiration is going to be some time in 2016! So, I don't think it's right that you are getting food that is about to expire.

Having said that, if you have a lot of fish, and you can go through that bag quickly in the next couple of months, I think it will be fine. You could also just vacuum seal aliquots. That should help.

I keep the bag of ProGold pellets in the fridge, sealed and then sealed again in another Ziploc baggie. I put a few weeks' worth in a container under the tank and use that to feed the fish.

I keep the bag of ProGold pellets in the fridge, sealed and then sealed again in another Ziploc baggie.? I put a few weeks' worth in a container under the tank and use that to feed the fish.

The problem with this is that the fridge is not a dry environment and you are not vacuum sealing. Even double bagging the food will not keep out all of the moisture, as the air in the bag still contains water that condensates in the cool, moist environment. You can try this with potato chips or crackers, and will come up with the same results : moistened food that used to be crunchy. By allowing moisture in you are actually shortening the time before the food expires. :(

-Using Tapatalk.

How strange--really? I've always been told to refrigerate pellet food!

So just leave it out? It takes me forever to go through a bag, since my fish eat a variety of things in addition to ProGold.

How strange--really? I've always been told to refrigerate pellet food!

So just leave it out? It takes me forever to go through a bag, since my fish eat a variety of things in addition to ProGold.

I think that storing it in aliquots in a cool dry place is fine, and if you like, you can vacuum seal and/or freeze the smaller portions.

For some reason, I've always thought the freezer as being not dry, but I was corrected. It was pointed out to me that people store flour in the freezer, and that's definitely one item you want to stay dry.